Windows 10: How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?

Discus and support How to set the affinity of an app to single core ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Recently I had this weird issue where my output sound is disgusting when the affinity of "audiodg.exe" is set to more than one core.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Greytsu, Mar 22, 2021.

1. How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?

Hi everyone,

Recently I had this weird issue where my output sound is disgusting when the affinity of "audiodg.exe" is set to more than one core.

I'd like to know if there is a solution to set the affinity of an app to single core without specifying which core ?

Thanks How to set the affinity of an app to single core ? :D

submitted by /u/Greytsu
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Greytsu, Mar 22, 2021
  2. bobkn Win User

Unable to set core affinity

I haven't played with setting core affinity in a long time. I also don't use the Steam ecosystem.

If there are multiple processes under a single heading, "Go To Details" isn't available for the whole set. It is available for individual processes. I hope that it's easy for you to determine which of those is appropriate. An example from an uninteresting application:
    How to set the affinity of an app to single core ? [​IMG]

bobkn, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Davie_C Win User
    How to set 8 core cpu in affinity settings

Here is how to set your affinity settings using 8 core cpu splitting them into two 4 cpu cores

cmd.exe /c start "WoWSLauncher" /affinity F "C:\Games\World_of_Warships\WoWSLauncher.exe"

As you can see I added "F" next to /affinity that will let you use just 4 cores 0,1,2,3

I can do it easy in task manager but got to keep doing it everytime i want to play the game.

So if you want to use 0 1 2 3 cores just for the game you would add "F" in your line like so..

for cores 4,5,6,7 Do this....

Add F0 next to /affinity like so

cmd.exe /c start "obs32" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs32.exe"

cmd.exe /c start "obs64" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"

Depends on if using 32 or 64bit of the os.

If doing it for obs it will not work as it can't find locale\eng-US.ini and failed to load locale but file is there.

So thats how you would set your affinity settings splitting 8 cores into two 4 cores

Am using windows 10.

You want to use 0,1,2,3 for the game and 4,5,6,7 for obs.

Only thing is that it does not save the settings of affinity after you exit the game it will return back to 8 cores when you start the game again.

So if anyone knows how to Save the settings then please post here as i have hunted on the net for awhile now.

Davie_C, Mar 22, 2021
  4. How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?

Parked cores? Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I will certainly help you with it.

Many apps don't use all cores. They aren't programmed for it. Then they will use one core and will overload it.

But you can tell Windows to run that process on 2,3, ... and in all cores.

For doing it, follow these steps:

• Open Task Manager
    • Select tab Processes
    • Right click and select 'Set Affinity'
    • Select on which cores you want to run process.
    Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?

1. How to set the affinity of an app to single core ? - Similar Threads - set affinity app

2. How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?: I doing some retro-gaming with Fallout 4. It weas crashing to desktop every few minutes. What finally fixed my issue was going into the task manager and restricting the program to 2 cores. I've read that it will use 4 fine. I came across an article regarding setting affinity...
  3. How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?: I doing some retro-gaming with Fallout 4. It weas crashing to desktop every few minutes. What finally fixed my issue was going into the task manager and restricting the program to 2 cores. I've read that it will use 4 fine. I came across an article regarding setting affinity...
  4. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.: The title basically says it all. Recently for some reason most processes are launched with a default affinity set in task manager to only use the first 4 processor cores/threads. I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu, so this is utilizing only 1/4 of the CPU and I have noticed a...
  5. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?: Using the command "wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority128" would set paint to a high priority but what if i want to set the affinity of paint, is there a command for program affinity?If not i know process hacker supposedly does the trick but i dont know how...
  6. How do you permanently set Priority to high and lock Affinity to a specific core in Windows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you permanently set Priority to high and lock Affinity to a specific core in Windows...: So I'm having an issue with my microphone cracking whenever I use it on my Windows 10PC. However, opening audiodg.exe in Task Manager > Details and setting Priority to High and Affinity to CPU 3 only fixes it. My issue is that I don't want to have to do this every single...
  7. CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications: Title. One minute I'm sitting there playing Factorio, using all of my CPU cores to simulate the game at 60FPS, and then the game all of a sudden only has two CPU cores assigned to it: 20fps. I get this with multiple processes all the time. Chrome; Spotify; some Windows...
  8. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?: Using the command "wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority128" would set paint to a high priority but what if i want to set the affinity of paint, is there a command for program affinity? If not i know process hacker supposedly does the trick but i dont know...
  9. What is Processor Affinity & how to set Processor Affinity on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is Processor Affinity & how to set Processor Affinity on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When a Program runs in Windows 10, it uses CPU. Most of the computers have a multicore processor. Any Program that you run uses all the CPU cores. In simple words, Windows OS decides how to use the cores for [...] This post What is Processor Affinity & how...
  10. Unable to set core affinity

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to set core affinity: I've been having a serious problem with the Steam Client Webhelper recently, where I'm in a group voice chat and all of a sudden it's using serious processor time. Just yesterday I was playing in the BFV beta when I noticed sudden system lag, with the fps dropping down from...