Windows 10: How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

Discus and support How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; When using Windows, chances are you’ll want the CPU to prioritize apps that are running in the foreground. This is because apps or programs in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Win10 FaQ, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Win10 FaQ
    Win10 FaQ New Member

How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

When using Windows, chances are you’ll want the CPU to prioritize apps that are running in the foreground. This is because apps or programs in the foreground are the ones you are currently using, so setting Windows to prioritize them will help them run better and faster. Windows does some of this by default, but [...]

The post How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps appeared first on Win10 FAQ.

read more...

Win10 FaQ, Nov 6, 2018
  2. Lars Gard Win User

An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

I run Windows 10.

When I tried to start an app it suddenly started to run in the background instead of foreground as it should, as seen in the Taskmanager.

It is an "external" app and is thus not listed in the Settings-privacy- background apps list

I want to force it back to run as foreground app again.

Is it possible?

Lars Gard, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Mooly Win User
    Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

Thanks Shawn, I've just tried it and I'm not sure if that's going to do what I want. It doesn't seem to have done at any rate.

Putting this into a command prompt opens the program in high priority:
    start "" /High "C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\XVIIx64.exe"

but what I really want (if possible) is to be able to click random files (applicable to the program of course) and get it to open in High Priority.

The newly created shortcut following Polo's suggestion opens the program itself correctly, although unfortunately not correctly from clicking random files. If I browse for the file from within LT then its all good.

I hope these images make sense How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps :) It would just be the icing on the cake to be able to do this.

How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps [​IMG]

Mooly, Nov 6, 2018
  4. How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

Windows 10 Tweaks

I have a question. I want to know how I can set my CPU priority to prefer foreground apps rather than background apps. Can anyone tell me how I can accomplish this?

lordofthelions, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

1. How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps - Similar Threads - set CPU priority

2. How to set SSD as a boot priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set SSD as a boot priority: Hi, I switched from HDD to SSD, but I don’t know how to set SSD as my boot priority. In boot priority order there is only windows boot manager. So I took HDD out of PC and now it wants me to select proper boot device. And instead of windows boot manager there is hard disk in...
  3. How to set SSD as a boot priority

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set SSD as a boot priority: Hi, I switched from HDD to SSD, but I don’t know how to set SSD as my boot priority. In boot priority order there is only windows boot manager. So I took HDD out of PC and now it wants me to select proper boot device. And instead of windows boot manager there is hard disk in...
  4. Setting Battery Priority

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Battery Priority: Hello to all,I have a laptop that have an unsual set up: it have 2 batteries. One fixed and one removable. I would like Windows to use the removable battery first, then the fixed battery. This way, I can have the fixed battery powering the laptop while I swap the removable...
  5. Setting Battery Priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Battery Priority: Hello to all,I have a laptop that have an unsual set up: it have 2 batteries. One fixed and one removable. I would like Windows to use the removable battery first, then the fixed battery. This way, I can have the fixed battery powering the laptop while I swap the removable...
  6. Is it safe to set an app priority to realtime

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to set an app priority to realtime: pls answer View Poll submitted by /u/Totogogo505 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kdqcw3/is_it_safe_to_set_an_app_priority_to_realtime/
  7. How to set priority for processes permanently.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set priority for processes permanently.: I am looking to set priority for processes permanently. Tried to do it via task manager but that is only temporary. Want to assign excel and chrome a higher priority than normal. Any clues how to do it and not via third party apps....
  8. Priority of Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Priority of Apps: Hello, is there a Way to Change the Priority of an App without an Skript or a App, so that the App starts with the Same Priority every Time? Thank You! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/priority-of-apps/be115fca-d130-4249-9c6f-6cc4ccc451d7
  9. Civilization 6 CPU Priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Civilization 6 CPU Priority: Why does Windows 10 constantly set Civilization 6 at below normal priority? This game NEEDS normal to above average priority on at least 2 cores to run properly. Every time I set it to above normal priority on 4 of my 8 cores it runs great for a minute or so then chugs to a...
  10. Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10: How to: Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 How to Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 Windows shares processor resources between all running processes based upon their priority level. If a process (application) has a higher...