Windows 10: How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

Discus and support How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; When using Windows, chances are you’ll want the CPU to prioritize apps that are running in the foreground. This is because apps or programs in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Win10 FaQ, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Win10 FaQ
    Win10 FaQ New Member

How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

When using Windows, chances are you’ll want the CPU to prioritize apps that are running in the foreground. This is because apps or programs in the foreground are the ones you are currently using, so setting Windows to prioritize them will help them run better and faster. Windows does some of this by default, but [...]

The post How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps appeared first on Win10 FAQ.

read more...

Win10 FaQ, Nov 6, 2018
  2. Lars Gard Win User

An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

I run Windows 10.

When I tried to start an app it suddenly started to run in the background instead of foreground as it should, as seen in the Taskmanager.

It is an "external" app and is thus not listed in the Settings-privacy- background apps list

I want to force it back to run as foreground app again.

Is it possible?

Lars Gard, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Mooly Win User
    Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

Thanks Shawn, I've just tried it and I'm not sure if that's going to do what I want. It doesn't seem to have done at any rate.

Putting this into a command prompt opens the program in high priority:
    start "" /High "C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\XVIIx64.exe"

but what I really want (if possible) is to be able to click random files (applicable to the program of course) and get it to open in High Priority.

The newly created shortcut following Polo's suggestion opens the program itself correctly, although unfortunately not correctly from clicking random files. If I browse for the file from within LT then its all good.

I hope these images make sense How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps :) It would just be the icing on the cake to be able to do this.

How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps [​IMG]

Mooly, Nov 6, 2018
  4. lordofthelions Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

I have a question. I want to know how I can set my CPU priority to prefer foreground apps rather than background apps. Can anyone tell me how I can accomplish this?

lordofthelions, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps - Similar Threads - set CPU priority

2. Setting the priority for a system service on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setting the priority for a system service on boot: I'm trying to ensure that a newly installed system service does not steal resources from other more important services. To achieve this I have attempted to modify the ImagePath key within the app's Registry entry in services...
  3. How do I set 2D shape preferences in paint?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set 2D shape preferences in paint?: How do I set 2D shape preferences in paint? I'm annotating a lot of screenshots in Paint 3D and would like it to hold the settings for the rectangle shape of red 2px. Every time I open a new screenshot it goes back to a black 10px line. Is there any way to set your...
  4. How do I set the priority of an application?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set the priority of an application?: I'm using Windows 10 for a machine tool control application. I need several exe files to have top priority. Is there a way to set this in Windows 10? Thanks, Andy*Nerd 58555
  5. How to set a Folder view preference for a specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set a Folder view preference for a specific folder: How to set a Folder view preference for a specific folder, so that it always opens in your preferred view, even if it is different from the system-wide default? 99731
  6. update problem and set priority

in Windows 10 Support
    update problem and set priority: just trying to get basic updates not Nvidia or other huge updates just security is there any way to prioritize what i want, download time is the factor. [img] 77765
  7. How to force the properties window open in the foreground!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force the properties window open in the foreground!: I've been fighting properties window since I installed window 10...*Mad I use this function a lot. The problem is the properties window opens in the background. So I have to minimize all the windows I have open to see the properties window. The weird thing is the...
  8. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU: Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)? Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop...
  9. Preferred Win 10 3rd party app for monitoring realtime CPU temps?

in Windows 10 Support
    Preferred Win 10 3rd party app for monitoring realtime CPU temps?: Can someone recommend a reliable 3rd party app that will monitor CPU temps accurately? CPUID, etc? I know there is some discrepancy from what BIOS shows and what apps show in Windows, however, I am unsure of which would provide me with the most accuracy. Tnx Tim...
  10. Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10: A couple more options to launch Paint with Above Normal priority Example 1: Create a new shortcut or edit an existing shortcut then paste the following string in the target box: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /AboveNormal "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe"...