Windows 10: How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10

Discus and support How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]When using a laptop for both Office and home, we often have to switch printers. Windows 10 doesn’t offer an easy way to switch printer, […]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 4, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10

WinClub, Apr 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot Set Printer Default

Hi Marc,

I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot state and then try to make the default printer.

Perform clean boot to identify if any 3rd party service is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow
    Step 3 from the link to start the computer to
    Normal startup mode.

Note: Also applies to Windows 10.

To make printer as a default printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select
      device manager

• Select devices and printers

• Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click
      set as default printer (You'll see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer).
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 4, 2020
  4. RCoon Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10 Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

1. How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - set Default Printer

2. Default Printer setting and Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Printer setting and Windows: Hi,When I went to set my printer as default printer it showed me a warning as "Setting this printer as default means Windows will stop managing your default printer"Why did I get that message? Is this something new that Windows managing?Thanks,RoGirl...
  3. Default Printer setting and Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Printer setting and Windows: Hi,When I went to set my printer as default printer it showed me a warning as "Setting this printer as default means Windows will stop managing your default printer"Why did I get that message? Is this something new that Windows managing?Thanks,RoGirl...
  4. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  5. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  6. Adjust printer default setting Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adjust printer default setting Windows 10?: [ATTACH] Hello, every time anew, I have to change the default value from color to black when I print. How do I get him to remember that? Thanks for the advice. Drucker Standardeinstellung anpassen Windows 10?
  7. Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer

Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer: I work in a large business where there are a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 7. With Windows 7, we can have our label printer and an HP LaserJet connected to one PC with updated drivers, driver settings to use printer settings, and correct printer settings for each application....
  8. setting default for printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting default for printer: How do I set my printer as the default printer for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/setting-default-for-printer/d634e4d2-7ede-4ddd-afad-ca101042a850
  9. How to Set a Printer as the Default for All Users on Windows 10

How to Set a Printer as the Default for All Users on Windows 10: I need to set a network printer as the default printer for all users (several thousand) on a particular workstation. Thoughts?...
  10. Set Default Printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Printer in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Printer in Windows 10 [img] Information A default printer is the printer that all print jobs are sent to by default unless otherwise specified. This tutorial will show you how to set a default printer for your account in Windows 10. CONTENTS:...