Windows 10: How to set the Files app as default file manager

Discus and support How to set the Files app as default file manager in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So, after the wait finally the Files app on Microsoft Store has come out of beta. But now I have a problem of not able to set it he default app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Curse777, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Curse777 Win User

How to set the Files app as default file manager

So, after the wait finally the Files app on Microsoft Store has come out of beta. But now I have a problem of not able to set it he default app replacing the default file explorer.

Now I don't have any problem with the windows explorer, I just prefer files app more.

And in settings for default apps it isn't available either.

:)

Curse777, Mar 27, 2021

2. Set default app for .file type file

how to set default app for .file type file

we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available.

Please suggest

NilimeshHalder, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How to set the Files app as default file manager [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How to set the Files app as default file manager [​IMG]

Thema:

1. How to set the Files app as default file manager - Similar Threads - set Files app

2. how to set default setting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to set default setting in File Explorer: I want File Explorer to have a default setting for ALL folders as shown highlighted in the screen print, In addition when I want to open or save a file I want the file listing to be in name order, not date....
  3. how to set default setting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to set default setting in File Explorer: I want File Explorer to have a default setting for ALL folders as shown highlighted in the screen print, In addition when I want to open or save a file I want the file listing to be in name order, not date....
  4. How to set default app for file type jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  5. How to set default app for file type jpg

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  6. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  7. Set default file manager to Files UWP?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set default file manager to Files UWP?: Hey guys I recently downloaded Files UWP from the windows store and it's a great file manager with a clean ui and great shortcuts and management, but I was wondering if there's a way to set it as my default manager; for example when I go to open a file from another...
  8. File Manager Defaults

File Manager Defaults: How can I set the default "View" to "Details?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-manager-defaults/e1962b4c-ac64-443e-9005-94ccb6c9597a
  9. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. My File manager default

2. Set Files app as default file explorer

3. how to make files app the default file explorer in windows