Windows 10: How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10??

Discus and support How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Cannot find any info in Windows "settings" on how to change the wifi network interface to private, home, etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lcatfishscatfish, Aug 9, 2018.

1. How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10??

Cannot find any info in Windows "settings" on how to change the wifi network interface to private, home, etc.

:)

lcatfishscatfish, Aug 9, 2018
  2. redturtle Win User

Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome *Smile

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10?? [​IMG]

redturtle, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Aug 9, 2018
  4. How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10??

Network Profile Windows 10

This did not work. the "Get" part worked and showed up with the status, but step 3 just showed a bunch of red text... Could you put a step by step screenshot set to show how it SHOULD be?

ArcanaInfinum, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10??

1. How to set the network profile for Public, Home, etc. in Windows 10?? - Similar Threads - set network profile

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  4. public or private network settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  5. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows: So Everything Ive Googled says go to settings --> network and internet --> Ethernet, then click on the Ethernet network name and change the toggle there. However, When i click on the Ethernet network name , all i get is Metered connection setting. Theres nothing about being...
  6. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?: I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing. Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and...
  7. Windows 10 Home (1809) Set Network From Public To Private ?

Windows 10 Home (1809) Set Network From Public To Private ?: Can anyone please give me a rundown on how to set my USB data card connection from public to private ? I know how to do it on Windows 10 Pro, but I can't figure out how to do it on Windows 10 Home Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437). 130839
  8. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  9. W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?

W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?: Is it me or it's a reverse logic? Please check a screen capture and advice, mind you this is the case for a Desktop PC: [img] 124143
  10. W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10, Setting, Network Profile: Privacy is Public? and vice versa?: Is it me or it's a reverse logic? Please check a screen capture and advice, mind you this is the case for a Desktop PC: [img] 124143