Windows 10: How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer

Discus and support How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to know how to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lijosam2, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Lijosam2 Win User

How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer

Hi,

I would like to know how to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer?

:)

Lijosam2, Feb 1, 2019

2. Can't change printer preferences in Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• What exactly happens when you try to go into printer driver settings from Control Panel?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

• Type change default printer and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Step 2:

• Type printers and scanners and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Feb 1, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Feb 1, 2019
  4. How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer

1. How to set the printer preferences permanently for a particular printer - Similar Threads - set printer preferences

2. Printer Preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Preferences: Is there a way to tell windows 10 to allow each app its own printer preferences. If I set a specific preference in devices and printer it applies to all apps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-preferences/1367993b-cb6b-4cdd-a928-429333b2edd2
  3. How to set printing preferences of Epson Printer rather than the default Windows printer...

How to set printing preferences of Epson Printer rather than the default Windows printer...: When I was using Windows 7, and when I clicked on print, the Epson Print Preferences showed up. But when i switched to Windows 10, instead of the Epson Print Preferences showing up, it opens up the Windows 10 Print Preferences. In my opinion, the Epson Print Preferences have...
  4. Printer preferences lost

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer preferences lost: I have a HP ENVY 5540 printer which works perfectly I have tested it by printing from my phone but I have lost a number of printer preference options when trying to print from my laptop, namely: colour printing and photo quality print although I can select 'best'. So when...
  5. Opening a specific printers Printer Properties / preferences

Opening a specific printers Printer Properties / preferences: is there a command in the form of: explorer.exe shell:::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A} that wil alow me to open or link directly to a specific printers "preferences", in this case its named HP. as seen in this image. [ATTACH]...
  6. Printer Preferences

Printer Preferences: Received CD from UK and changed "Printer Preferences" to "Shrink to fit". Printed Fine. Tried to go back in to change "Printer Preferences" and upon selecting printer to "Manage" received pop-up window with following: White X in small red circle followed by...
  7. Printer Preferences settings not getting saved

Printer Preferences settings not getting saved: Windows 10 does not save the printer settings aw well as the settings in the 'preferences'. In 'preferences' there is another two settings, 'Default setting' and 'current setting'. If I click on 'current setting' and 'apply' it, after the print-out is done it again goes back...
  8. printer preferences

printer preferences: I want to cease using the duplex printing (default setting) to print on 1 page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-preferences/c75e4fb4-f754-47ca-b4ac-f13d921a0a60
  9. Printer preferences

Printer preferences: I have a HP Photosmart printer, which I cannot print on. when I choose the 'Printing Preferences', it's all blank, there's nothing in the boxes at the top (settings/advanced/security etc) & on the right side of the page there are just symbols. I've uninstalled & reinstalled...
  10. Printer not using preferences

Printer not using preferences: Here's a weird one. 2 systems, one a homebuilt Intel-based tower and the other an AMD based laptop, both: Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit system with all updates. Canon MF227DW Laser printer with the current drivers Windows has all current drivers for the printer. Uninstalled,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 user account not able to set printer properties permanently