Windows 10: How to set up a child account

Discus and support How to set up a child account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm having trouble setting up a child account on a Windows 10 machine. I'm prompted to add a child, but the system won't accept the account because... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chinkle1, Feb 9, 2020.

1. chinkle1 Win User

How to set up a child account

I'm having trouble setting up a child account on a Windows 10 machine.

I'm prompted to add a child, but the system won't accept the account because the email account isn't a Microsoft account, and I don't plan to give him a Microsoft account.

So if I select instead the option that the person doesn't have an email address, the system wants me to create an account, which I won't do, and I choose the option to use my email instead. <At this point, this is crazy -- why does the child have to have an email address to use the machine?> I'm still prompted to create an account, though. And the other links are to use a phone number which I don't understand what that would be for or to get a new email address.

I put my own account into the create account dialog and select next, and I get an error that the account is already a Microsoft account and to sign in. I do that, and now I'm being prompted to enter the email address of the person to add. But they don't have an email address! It looks like I'm back where I started. How can an account be created?

And it looks like I'm stuck in some loop that won't create an account.

:)

chinkle1, Feb 9, 2020

2. Child account

I did set up a Child account, I did fallow all the steps window ask, the account say that the child is in the family, when I tried to log, give me the message "The Profile Service service Failed The Sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded".

Answering your questions:

• Did you make any changes to the child account prior to the issue? No, I did not make any changes.
    • Since when you are facing this issue? Right from the start. I never got to login.
    • Are you able to login with other child accounts on the computer? No
    I suggest you to restart the computer once and check if you are able to login to the computer. I did, the same problem, I do not have any problem with my account or my wife.

Thank you for your help.

David.

David EDongo Sr, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Jan123 Win User
    Child Account Get Greyed Out

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did the following instead.

I have another laptop, 2 weeks old, with Windows 10 Home on it.

On that one, I tried the same steps with the child account, and got the exact same results.

Jan123, Feb 9, 2020
  4. How to set up a child account

Not Tracking Web Browsing Activity on Child Account

Hello,

I had already read that article and tried all those steps mentioned before posting on this forum. Nothing worked. I am still not able to see the web activity on my child's account.

I have already verified that the Family Safety Service is connected to my PC and that my child has the PC listed as a device on their account. My child's account is listed as "child" on my PC account settings. When I sign into the child's account, I have
    verified that Family Safe Monitoring is running because the icon is in the task bar.

This response was not helpful, because as I stated in my original post, I had already read several articles on troubleshooting this issue and nothing worked.

Can you offer me other suggestions that are not mentioned in that Wiki Article?

CoriannFlores, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

How to set up a child account

1. How to set up a child account - Similar Threads - set child account

2. How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?: How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?I am trying to set up and download games for my child but it's and it's asking for a PIN. I tried using mine, but it doesn't work. How do I set up the PIN for her account?Thank you....
  3. How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?: How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?I am trying to set up and download games for my child but it's and it's asking for a PIN. I tried using mine, but it doesn't work. How do I set up the PIN for her account?Thank you....
  4. How do I set up a PIN for my child's account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  6. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  7. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft Account set up with child’s age. How to change?

Microsoft Account set up with child’s age. How to change?: I set up a Microsoft account in my name and purchased Minecraft for my son. I used his age on the Microsoft account in error and now can’t change it as it thinks I’m not an adult. How on earth do I get it changed to the correct age?If I delete the account then he can’t access...
  9. Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop: How can I share Apps and software on my children's login on our family laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-child-accounts-on-a-laptop/39cb219c-3b9e-4843-acf6-885725d87f58
  10. Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?

Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?: I am setting up a laptop with Windows 10 Pro for use by my 4 & 6-year-old niece and nephew. I will have a local admin account - it will not be associated with any kind of 'Microsoft' account/email. I want each of them to have their own logins. I have read GREAT things...