Windows 10: How to Set Up a LAN that Requires No Password

Discus and support How to Set Up a LAN that Requires No Password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OSs: Windows 10, 10, 8.1, 7, XP; Ubuntu I've operated this private wired LAN for several years but now with the advent of Windows 10, passwords seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rLsj, Dec 29, 2017.

1. rLsj Win User

How to Set Up a LAN that Requires No Password

OSs: Windows 10, 10, 8.1, 7, XP; Ubuntu

I've operated this private wired LAN for several years but now with the advent of Windows 10, passwords seem to be no longer avoidable. Even "TeamViewer" requires one.

First, is it possible anymore to operate a LAN without passwords? Second if so, could someone point me to documentation that reveals how to set it up? Any machine should be able to read or write any file on any attached computer and the file manager on one machine should be able to show the files on any other's hard drives.

Thanks for your attention.

:)

2. y2kim Win User

Mobile Hotspot

Is it wired LAN connection you are about to share?

The LAN connection, does it require dial up with user name and password? I see problems with this kind of dial up Internet connection.

y2kim, Dec 29, 2017
  3. How do I find a password in Windows 10 to set up a homegroup

How do I view the homegroup password. That command is grayed out.

ZafSutarwala, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Dec 30, 2017
  5. rLsj Win User
    Sigh.

Under Control Panel\Nework and Sharing Center\Change advanced sharing settings\All Networks\Password protected sharing, I would have sworn that password protection was checked off, but when I checked as a result of your post I found it on. Turning it off fixed the problem for all computers. Thank you!

This is mysterious. Is it possible that some recent Microsoft update changed that setting from off to on?

rLsj, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Set Up a LAN that Requires No Password - Similar Threads - Set LAN Requires

2. LAN Connection via Solid Explorer requires Win10 password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN Connection via Solid Explorer requires Win10 password: I'm trying to setup a LAN connection from my android phone to my pc via solid explorer. The setup process requires my username and password, so I opened a command prompt to see what my windows user name is, and entered that, the password though is the problem. I tried...
  3. How Set up password on files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Set up password on files: I dont want to set up a log in password, but I want to set up password to accessing files or other applications. Also a password to be asked when someone attempts to reformat the laptop submitted by /u/wabberjockybrah [link] [comments]...
  4. Require password at wake up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Require password at wake up.: I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes, which it does OK. Under "sign-in options", "require-sign in", I have chosen "when PC wakes up from sleep". But, when I wake it...
  5. Password set up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password set up: How do i set up a password for my new laptop ? When i go into settings, it takes me to my Microsoft account and it makes me change the msoft password. I want a separate password...
  6. How To Set Up The Lan on Win10?

How To Set Up The Lan on Win10?: I have enabled network discovery but still my computers cannot see each other. We have a wifi connection to the bnb router. That confuses me in config screens, too, because they show that as the connection and ask private or public? Well I'm thinking of the Lan, not the...
  7. "Start up Password Required"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Start up Password Required": My father is running a 23 inch H-P All-In-One computer running Windows 10, with 8 GB of RAM memory and a 1TB hard drive. Today he called me and told me that he turned on his computer, and a black screen is displayed with a WHITE message box in the middle of the screen. The...
  8. Setting up LAN

Setting up LAN: I will be receiving a new computer shortly with Win 10 already installed. Computer does not have DVD drive. If I have to set up an internet connection using LAN to router I would appreciate an how to please. Thanks 99313
  9. LAN Settings

LAN Settings: Hello, I am after some help with a issue that keeps happening with my PC. Every couple of days the setting, as shown in the attached pic, keeps being re ticked. This messes with how Chrome works and even with the emails. Is there some way I can stop this from being re...
  10. Need Help Setting Up "Wake On Lan"

Need Help Setting Up "Wake On Lan": I checked the bios, and the "Wake On Lan" feature is enabled, but when I go to Device Manager and open Network Adapter's properties, the "allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed out. Also I'm sure that I'm the one who disabled that feature in a previous build,...