Windows 10: How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account

Discus and support How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft introduced password-less sign-in functionality in the Microsoft Edge browser in the October 2018 Update for Windows 10. The new security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 21, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account

Microsoft introduced password-less sign-in functionality in the Microsoft Edge browser in the October 2018 Update for Windows 10.

The new security feature unlocks options to sign in to Microsoft services without having to enter a password; the functionality is restricted to Microsoft Edge currently and to services by Microsoft such as OneDrive, the Microsoft Store, Outlook, or Skype.

Microsoft Edge supports two main password-less authentication methods: Windows Hello or FIDO2-based.

Windows Hello is not a new service; Windows 10 users may use it to sign in to their accounts on devices running Windows 10. Support is extended to Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 version 1809 to enable password-less sign-ins using Windows Hello.

Microsoft added support for FIDO2-based security keys in the new feature update as well. Windows users may use a security key, e.g. from Yubico or Feitian Technology, to sign-in to Microsoft Accounts in Microsoft Edge. The list of features that security keys need to support is listed on the Microsoft Docs website.

FIDO2-based security keys may be plugged into USB ports of Windows 10 devices.

Setting up the new authentication options

How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account windows-hello-security-keys-sign-in-setup.png

Information on setting up a security key or Windows Hello to sign-in to Microsoft services in Microsoft Edge is not provided by Microsoft in the announcement itself on the Windows blog, but you find instructions on the Microsoft 365 blog.

Here is how you set up the new security feature:

1. Open the following link in Microsoft Edge: https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional?mkt=en-US&refd=account.microsoft.com&refp=security
      • Note: you can open the link in another browser but may get the message that "Your browser or operating system does not support this".
    2. You may be asked to sign in to your Microsoft Account.
    3. Scroll down to the Windows Hello and security keys section on the page.
      1. Select "Set up a security key" if you want to use a FIDO2-based security key for sign-ins using Edge.
      2. Select "Set up Windows Hello" if you want to use Windows Hello for that instead.
    4. You may be asked to sign in to the Microsoft Account (again).
    5. Follow the instructions from this point forward to set up your preferred sign in method in Edge.

Microsoft displays instructions on the next page. If you selected to set up a security key, Microsoft explains that you either need to plug it in and press the gold circle on the device if it is connected via USB, or hold it close to the NFC reader and press the gold circle button if it is using NFC.

How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account set-up-security-key.png

Connect the security key when asked to do so and follow the on-screen instructions to complete setup. You may use the new authentication method from that moment on when signing in to Microsoft services using the Edge browser.

When you sign-in the next time in Microsoft Edge, select More Options > Use a security key to use it to sign-in.

Closing Words

Microsoft believes that the password era is coming to an end and that password-less authentication methods such as Windows Hello or by using security keys are the way to go forward.

The functionality is quite limited at this point in time as it supports only Microsoft online services and requires that users use Microsoft Edge.

Some password managers, for example Last Pass, support security keys as well. We reviewed the first Yubico device in 2010.

Microsoft plans to introduce the same authentication functionality for work and school accounts in Azure Active Directory next year.

Now You: what is your preferred sign-in method?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 21, 2018
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Nov 21, 2018
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 21, 2018
  4. How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account

Microsoft account set as a work account and a Microsoft Account

Hi Dean,

As per the description, I suggest that you sign out of one of the accounts and sign into the account again. This will help us to know if the account used in either of the account is not the same.

To sign-out of the Microsoft Account follow the steps below

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then PC settings.
    • Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click
      Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account

1. How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - set security key

2. "You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your Microsoft Account is set up."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your Microsoft Account is set up.": I have went to the Xbox one/Windows 10 safety tab and changed all my permissions to "Allow", however Minecraft Pocket Edition is still giving me the following message when i try to but Minecraft Realms to play with friends... "You cannot play online multiplayer because of how...
  3. Security settings microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security settings microsoft account: We need some help resolving an issue. My Son's Microsoft account only had one security device. His old phone number.He now has a different phone number so we tried to change the security information.We have added his g-mail account as an alternative and offcourse also want to...
  4. Security settings microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security settings microsoft account: We need some help resolving an issue. My Son's Microsoft account only had one security device. His old phone number.He now has a different phone number so we tried to change the security information.We have added his g-mail account as an alternative and offcourse also want to...
  5. "You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your Microsoft Account is set up."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your Microsoft Account is set up.": So I have followed all of the youtube videos saying that I need to log into Xbox.com and switch everything to allow and it worked on my iPad the message dosen’t come up anymore but it is still on my Xbox Minecraft and I don’t know what to do...
  6. How to set up your microsoft account on two different computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set up your microsoft account on two different computers: Hi, I got a brand new Windows 10 computer for my birthday and was wondering how to set up my Microsoft account on it when my account is already on another Windows 10 computer. I would like to keep all my apps and files as well which is why I need to know how to set it up. If...
  7. How to find Bitlocker Recovery Key in your Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to find Bitlocker Recovery Key in your Microsoft Account: I ran an HP update on my new HP Laptop today, that we've had for 6 months, and now a screen appeared asking for my BitLocker Recovery Key. I logged-in to my Microsoft account on another device, so now where do I find the recovery key? Help! Thanks!...
  8. How to remove a product key from your Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to remove a product key from your Microsoft account?: I found a product key online and I decided to put it on my computer. I then linked it to my Microsoft account and now I want to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-a-product-key-from-your-microsoft/0774389d-d36f-4b55-9556-6f6832a0b6fe"
  9. Setting up security Key in Windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up security Key in Windows 10.: Something went wrong We encountered an issue setting up your security key. The security key you used is not supported. Make sure you have a Microsoft-compatible security key and try again. Bought a brand new Sandisk ULTRA USB3 32gb. Encountered an issue. So which keys are...
  10. Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge: How to: Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge How to Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft security key

2. security key microsoft account

3. set up security key

4. security key device,
  5. setting up a security key,
  6. set up a security key,
  7. how to create a security key microsoft,
  8. set up a security key windows 10,
  9. Sign in with a security key,
  10. security key for microsoft account,
  11. setup security key microsoft account,