Windows 10: How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that...

Discus and support How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am trying to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that Authenticated Users can interchange files freely. Several... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Paul A Bristow, Dec 11, 2018.

1. How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that...

I am trying to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that Authenticated Users can interchange files freely.

Several older machines are all up to date with windows 10 1803 and they can interchange files using the usual sharing mechanism (and will be updated when Microsoft decides that their turn has come ;-).

I have just added a new machine running a fresh download of 1809 (and updated) but it cannot see shares on other machines (though they can see the new machine).

I have enabled SMBv1 client and server on the new machine to get things going.

I understand the security issue here and want to do the 'Right Thing' in future.

What should I do on the existing machines to allow me to remove the use of SMBv1 and use the recommended version (SMBv3?)? I presume that I will just turn off use of SMBv1 on the new machine.

Thank you.

Paul

:)

Paul A Bristow, Dec 11, 2018
  2. Mussels Win User

Basic Network guide

I'll be adding a small page on doing this in windows vista soon, since XP is the same with a step or two less, i assume people will figure it out.

Mussels, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to browse network computers.

We suggest creating a new administrator user account by following the steps
    here
    . Make sure to use the same network settings that you used for your other computers, then check if you can connect to the home network. Since you also mentioned that Windows 10 was freshly installed on this particular computer, have you already downloaded
    the latest updates? The latest build for Version 1607 is 14393.1715, and 15063.608 for Version 1703. You can check the build version of your computer by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.

If you don't have the latest updates, you can follow these steps to install them:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • Click Check for updates.

If that doesn't work, we'd like screenshots of the network and file sharing settings of the computer that doesn't work, and the settings of one of your other computers that can connect and share files properly on the home network.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 12, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that...

Small Business Network

Using the homegroup is a bad idea. IMO, it is less reliable than using traditional Windows network shares and setting up proper usernames and passwords on the "server" computer.

For a small network like you have, I don't see a problem with using a standard Windows 7 desktop as a file server as long as it is set up properly and you have proper backups of the data. Don't rely on the single hard drive in the server computer to keep your data safe.

newtekie1, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that...

1. How to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that... - Similar Threads - set 1809 small

2. How to set up home network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set up home network Windows 10: I've had difficulty over a long period setting up a simple home network for 2 computers that are connected to the same wifi modem. I followed the instructions at...
  3. How to set up home network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set up home network Windows 10: I've had difficulty over a long period setting up a simple home network for 2 computers that are connected to the same wifi modem. I followed the instructions at...
  4. How to set up home network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem Setting Up Local Network

Problem Setting Up Local Network: I have four computers that have previously been connected on a LAN. For various reasons updating one of them to Win 10 among other reasons perhaps none of them can connect to each other any more and very few of them can even see each other. I believe I have all the choices in...
  6. Icons are so small in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons are so small in Windows 10: HI, I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 on it, and some icons in the Microsoft Office programs are so small that I can't even see them (see arrows in red, please, notice that I've zoomed in the image) You can hardly see the attachment icons and also check that picture...
  7. how to set up a network in windows 10

how to set up a network in windows 10: I need to do a new setup of my network because I have a new router. How do I get my tablet recognized by Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-up-a-network-in-windows-10/37885f23-3cd8-4d8c-8374-b656f058b487
  8. small home network. How to with Windows 10?

small home network. How to with Windows 10?: Bought computers 6/2018 thought it would be easy to set up my home network like it was in Windows 7, wow was I wrong. Any help or direction towards "how to" would be great!...
  9. Setting up Network Monitoring for Small Business

Setting up Network Monitoring for Small Business: My boss wants to be able to monitor the web history and logins to websites accessed on all staff computers in the business without using a proxy. She wants something that can pull the local username from the computer and what content was viewed. How can we about doing that if...
  10. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?: I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1809 local network

2. set up homegroup windows 10 1809

3. win 10 1809 setting up a network

4. windows 10 1809 network setup,
  5. localnet work setup win 10 1809,
  6. homegroup in windows 10 1809 windows 10,
  7. how to set up a local network windows 10 version 1809,
  8. windows 10 1809 home network setup,
  9. homegroup windows 10 1809,
  10. homegroup settings windows 10 1809,
  11. how to setup NFS on windows 10 1809,