Windows 10: How to set up elevated process to run at user logon?

Discus and support How to set up elevated process to run at user logon? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let me explain my dilemma. We have this custom-made executable that interfaces with our hardware in the shop that needs to run as soon as someone logs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahmd, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ahmd Win User

How to set up elevated process to run at user logon?

Let me explain my dilemma. We have this custom-made executable that interfaces with our hardware in the shop that needs to run as soon as someone logs in to this workstation. The way it was programmed, it needs to run elevated:

How to set up elevated process to run at user logon? [​IMG]

So I'm trying to automate the process of running it as soon as Windows user enters the password and logs in. (It causes problems when some employees forget to run this file upon login, which is easy to do.)There are two user accounts set up on this machine:Admin (Administrator) with a passwordDc (Standard user) with a passwordThe account in question that I need to automate the login for is Dc.So I went to Task Scheduler, ran it as Admin account and set up a task to run with Admin (highest) privileges:

do it at logon only, for the Dc account:

to run our elevated file:

with these conditions:

and these settings:

So I OKed the task and rebooted computer. I then logged in under Dc account, and nothing happened.I then started the Task Scheduler, and checked the task history. This is what it showed:

The question I have, is why does it say "because user Admin was not logged on" when I clearly indicated "Specific user: Dc" in the screenshot above?

:)

2. TedLeach Win User

Adding new user to Windows 10 settings and start button not working

Hi,

thanks for the prompt reply,

I am running the programs you suggested but i have to admit that i have been through this process at least three times before i posted the original query.

the machine had a single user when running 8.1, after the upgrade to W10 the additional user was set up as a standard user but it had no rights to do anything. even when i elevated the user to Administrator it still couldn't seem to run anything. when i
    opened control panel it could't select small icons, it ended up each time with large icons.

you suggested running the latest updates but i can't find anywhere how to access the update mechanism within windows 10.

the suggestions you recommended were run previously on the following setups.

1. Original user created the additional user using the User account icon, elevated to Administrator.

2. Additional account deleted as it didn't work correctly.

3. Additional account created via settings in the original account, elevated to Administrator.

4. Additional account deleted as it didn't work correctly.

5. Additional account created via CMD prompt and Net User "NAME" /ADD elevated to Administrator

6.Additional account deleted as it didn't work correctly.

as the original user account works correctly could this problem be a permissions issue with the new account when it is created?

TedLeach, Mar 22, 2017
  3. How set a program to run at start up in Windows 10?

The Startup folder is still there in Windows 10. To access it, press WinKey + R, and type
    shell:startup

This opens the Startup folder, located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

in short:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 22, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Wild guess.....

In order for the user DC to run that .exe with Admin privileges, it may be trying to run the .exe "As Administrator", similar to right clicking a .exe and choosing Run As Administrator. Since Administrator is not logged on, there are no inherited privileges yet. I'm probably not saying all this quite right, but it may be a timing issue getting the privileges from an internal account (Admin) that has not fully initialized.

Like I said....wild guess.

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    First screenshot you have it set to admin and only run when user logged on ie admin tick box below it run wether logged in or not

Samuria, Mar 22, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Good catch. Maybe change the group in the first screenshot to Administrators

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  7. ahmd Win User
    Guys, appreciate it.

This Task Scheduler... I tell you. How do people use it?

So if I change it on the first page to:

It boots up and gives me this error in the task history:
    But if I uncheck to "Do not store password", it then asked my password for Admin, which I provide to OK the task:

It then boots up and gives me this error:

Well, one would assume that error 2147943726 is 41 times worse than error 2147943767. Corrent.

*Smile

8. f14tomcat Win User

@ahmd

Since you're trying to make a program/app run automatically for any specific user when they log on, maybe a different approach. Instead of going the job schedule entry way, why not set an autorun entry in the start menu folder for each user you want, or for all users. Create a shortcut to the .exe in the same folder as the .exe, giving it Run as Administrator priviledges. Then follow the steps in Option #2 in this tutorial here on Tenforums.

Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10

Give the tutorial a look and see if this may work for you.

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    A standard user can't run elevated task at log-on.

You'll have to either make the user part of Administrators group or give them a button to press after they log-on.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    That's part of his issue. They don't always remember to push the button.

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    Indeed - but the solution is the same. Either re-write the code so it doesn't require elevation or make them Administrator. Or dock their pay if they don't press the button - that would learn 'em.

If a standard user could run anything at all through task scheduler it would defeat the point of having a standard user.

There is no legitimate workaround for this.

12. f14tomcat Win User
    That's why I suggested the Start Folder using Shawn's tut. It wouldn't be the user running it then, it would be Explorer. It's not uncommon for other vendors to place startup entries there in order to run with privilege. I'm only offering an alternative way of trying it to see if it fits his needs and his organizations policies, while maintaining control. A standard user (un-priviledged) would not be able to alter the entry in the Start Folder. And no button to push.

These two lines from the tutorial tell me only an Admin could add/delete/modify these entries, and the standard user would have no input or choice....it would just run.

NOTE: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this step.
    A) In File Explorer, navigate to the step 4 below.

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

Well, I just tested it to be sure (you could have tested it yourself before positing it as a solution I guess but never mind).

It would have been cute but it doesn't actually work - it works on an administrator account and not on a standard account.

So, no - there is no getting around Windows security that way. As per MS security you can't run elevated process under a standard account at startup and this method is no different.

Even hacky things like this fileless-uac-bypass-using-eventvwr-exe-and-registry-hijacking require a Admin account to work.

14. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks for testing in your environment. Just to clarify.....I did NOT post this as a solution. Only a suggestion to try. The OP hasn't even had a chance to read these posts yet. It may give him an idea of how to proceed, thinking of alternatives, other approaches.

That's why I suggested the Start Folder using Shawn's tut.

I'm only offering an alternative way of trying it to see if it fits his needs

Please give the OP the opportunity to respond before declaring it unworkable. Your first comment was totally unnecessary.

f14tomcat, Mar 22, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    Don't get the hump. It was a good enough idea. I tried it as it as I was interested to see if you'd found a workaround. It just so happens the OS blocks it (as it should).

Thema:

1. How to set up elevated process to run at user logon? - Similar Threads - set elevated process

2. run a legacy cpl elevated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    run a legacy cpl elevated: Evertime I try to open a folder a windows notification appear saying run a legacy cpl elevated and don't matter if i allow or not it keep appearing and i cannot open the folder...
  3. run a legacy cpl elevated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    run a legacy cpl elevated: Evertime I try to open a folder a windows notification appear saying run a legacy cpl elevated and don't matter if i allow or not it keep appearing and i cannot open the folder...
  4. Logon Process Initalization Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Logon Process Initalization Failure: So earlier today i logged onto my laptop, and was greeted with an automatic repair load. I ignored it until i received this text box. "Interactive Logon process intiallization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details. I turned my computer on and off. Until i...
  5. Logon Process Initalization Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logon Process Initalization Failure: So earlier today i logged onto my laptop, and was greeted with an automatic repair load. I ignored it until i received this text box. "Interactive Logon process intiallization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details. I turned my computer on and off. Until i...
  6. How do I set up the fingerprint logon as a domain user login?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I set up the fingerprint logon as a domain user login?: I was able to get it set up the fingerprint login for a local user logon. But i am not able to set it up for a domain user login. I know it is possible. My dad has the same computer and was able to get it to work....
  7. Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon: I have 3 PCs, and my logon script in my Group Policy (C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon) runs as expected at user logon in all 3 PCs. However, in my fourth PC, the logon script runs at startup prior to a user logging onto this PC. I cannot seem to figure out...
  8. Processes running for each user.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Processes running for each user.: Just about every process I have running is running for both the admin account and a standard user account, e.g.CCleaner64.exe user name Admin, CCleaner64.exe user name "my name" Does this mean I am doubling the amount of ram and CPU resources being used? Why are the Admin's...
  9. Processes with elevation terminated randomly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Processes with elevation terminated randomly?: Lately, I've been experiencing a weird and new problem: Programs I run with elevation (i.e. as Administrator) have been randomly terminated. I'm not sure why this is happening. Is this a new Windows 10 security feature? Examples: I run Process Hacker with elevation to...
  10. See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10: How to: See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. Some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set LogonTypes.Interactive for running process