Windows 10: How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?

Discus and support How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to share files and a printer on a network made up of computers with Ethernet and WiFi connections. Simply turning on network discovery and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidSutkoff, Jun 17, 2020.

1. How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?

I am trying to share files and a printer on a network made up of computers with Ethernet and WiFi connections. Simply turning on network discovery and sharinng does not seem to do job.

:)

DavidSutkoff, Jun 17, 2020
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Jun 17, 2020
  3. srdavis Win User
    Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?

Networked Computers Show with WiFi - Not with Dock via Ethernet

Have you checked the Ethernet network properties? It might just be as simple as your wireless network location set to private whereas Ethernet location is, as it by default is, public.

Related Tutorials

Thema:

How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?

1. How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network? - Similar Threads - set mixed WiFi

2. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network/wifi sharing: I'm trying to share wifi network from a windows 11 laptop to a windows 10 pc but I don't know how I could go about that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkwifi-sharing/21a9c658-b418-4b21-87f2-ed6f2e09f9e8
  3. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network/wifi sharing: I'm trying to share wifi network from a windows 11 laptop to a windows 10 pc but I don't know how I could go about that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkwifi-sharing/21a9c658-b418-4b21-87f2-ed6f2e09f9e8
  4. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win 11 sharing on ethernet network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 sharing on ethernet network: How do I get my win 11 pc to see my win 10 pc on ethernet LAN. I can use the printer and access the files on the win 11 pc. The advanced sharing settings are the same. The only security is microsoft's, My sign in is the same on both machinesModerator's Note: This should be in...
  6. Win 11 sharing on ethernet network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 sharing on ethernet network: How do I get my win 11 pc to see my win 10 pc on ethernet LAN. I can use the printer and access the files on the win 11 pc. The advanced sharing settings are the same. The only security is microsoft's, My sign in is the same on both machinesModerator's Note: This should be in...
  7. Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol: Both my office and gaming PCs are connected to my router via ethernet. I sometimes simultaneously connect both those PCs to the same router via wireless as well. On my office PC, the connections show as two separate networks in Control Panel (Network and Sharing Center) and...
  8. Sharing files between wifi and ethernet networks on same cable modem.

Sharing files between wifi and ethernet networks on same cable modem.: Greetings, I just set up file sharing between a couple of my computers that are connected by ethernet to my modem, but am unable to set up sharing between those on ethernet and those that are on wifi. All of my devises are on the same cable modem and I have no...
  9. DOCUMENT SHARING ON A WIFI NETWORK

DOCUMENT SHARING ON A WIFI NETWORK: I can't share documents on our network connected by wifi. What should be done to fix this? I can only share multimedia files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/document-sharing-on-a-wifi-network/ca4274a3-02e5-4697-9032-4d66fd01d149
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...