Windows 10: How To set up 'watching' regimen?

Discus and support How To set up 'watching' regimen? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; If a computer regularly has system crashes bad enough to require reinstalls how best to set up some kind of watching regimen that might see the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by abrogard, Mar 31, 2021.

1. abrogard Win User

How To set up 'watching' regimen?

If a computer regularly has system crashes bad enough to require reinstalls how best to set up some kind of watching regimen that might see the problem accumulating, rising to the critical point?

My son has such a computer. Win10 of course.

He tells me it regularly crashes every month or so and he reinstalls Windows and 'that seems to fix the problem'.

Of course that's contradictory. If the thing occurs again then it wasn't fixed.

And if it occurs again on a new install of windows each time then it sounds to me like it's very probable it is not windows where the problem is but somewhere in the installed software - in his case all games.

I've never seen this angle questioned before and never thought of it myself until now.

We watch disk space diminishing and cpu usage rising and mem usage but that's all.

Is there anything we can monitor that might show the progress of a growing problem that would eventually lead to these 'crashes' that windows finds irrecoverable and eventually need a new install?

At the very least I guess I should be learning how to salvage the system logs after one of these events and make sense of them. New Windows installs leave the old install on the disk so they'd still be available I guess? And I think perhaps I should be initiating certain system logs - I think there's a lot of potential logs that are not enabled by default?

:)

abrogard, Mar 31, 2021
  2. abrogard Win User

If a computer regularly has system crashes bad enough to require reinstalls how best to set up some kind of watching regimen that might see the problem accumulating, rising to the critical point?

My son has such a computer. Win10 of course.

He tells me it regularly crashes every month or so and he reinstalls Windows and 'that seems to fix the problem'.

Of course that's contradictory. If the thing occurs again then it wasn't fixed.

And if it occurs again on a new install of windows each time then it sounds to me like it's very probable it is not windows where the problem is but somewhere in the installed software - in his case all games.

I've never seen this angle questioned before and never thought of it myself until now.

We watch disk space diminishing and cpu usage rising and mem usage but that's all.

Is there anything we can monitor that might show the progress of a growing problem that would eventually lead to these 'crashes' that windows finds irrecoverable and eventually need a new install?

At the very least I guess I should be learning how to salvage the system logs after one of these events and make sense of them. New Windows installs leave the old install on the disk so they'd still be available I guess? And I think perhaps I should be initiating certain system logs - I think there's a lot of potential logs that are not enabled by default?

abrogard, Mar 31, 2021
  3. zebal Win User

These sorts of problems are hard to diagnose, and it gets even harder when the user is a child who just want to play games and have it's PC run.

You kind of answered your own question...

My quick suggestion is as follows:
    1. After clean install of OS, first install all and only drivers from motherboard site
    2. Let your son use standard Windows account, not Administrator
    3. You keep another admin account that only you will have access to
    4. Install only original games and software, if that's not affordable look for alternatives that are free.

Then, if the problem happens again, create another standard Windows account and test using computer there.
    if it works, transfer important son's data from old account to new one, then delete old one.

Does this sounds like doable for you?

You can solve many problems by limiting what can be done directly to system, ex. without your consent.
    That way you also isolate a lot of potential problems that can be hard to discover if not prevented.

- - - Updated - - -

Following tutorials may help:

Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10
    Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10

Btw. regarding drivers after fresh install of system following in following order is important:

1. chipset driver followed by reboot
    2. graphics driver from either NVIDIA or AMD site
    3. Audio, LAN, WIFI, bluetooth, Intel or AMD specific drivers followed by reboot

Other drivers, utilities and BIOS should be avoided as a general rule.
    This is step No.1

Next step is completely updating and\or upgrading Windows
    Creating standard in addition to Administrator account

- - - Updated - - -

Btw. if Administrator account is problem, (it surely is), let your son use it, but only trough UAC from standard account to install things:

Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10

If the UAC doesn't came up "blue", ex. it's "yellow" then that's potential issue and it defeats the whole purpose of Administrator account.

Standard user account is fine to do anything, except it doesn't let you do bad things to computer, so it should be used regardless of whether you share your Admin password with your son.

zebal, Mar 31, 2021
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

1. How To set up 'watching' regimen? - Similar Threads - set 'watching' regimen

2. How to set up pin

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set up pin: Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. is on my screen, when I click to set my pin up it brings me to a window saying I need to download an app from the microsoft store, when I click that nothing happens. When I try to go to advanced...
  3. How to set up pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set up pin: Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. is on my screen, when I click to set my pin up it brings me to a window saying I need to download an app from the microsoft store, when I click that nothing happens. When I try to go to advanced...
  4. How to set up pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How To set up 'watching' regimen?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To set up 'watching' regimen?: If a computer regularly has system crashes bad enough to require reinstalls how best to set up some kind of watching regimen that might see the problem accumulating, rising to the critical point? My son has such a computer. Win10 of course. He tells me it regularly crashes...
  6. Unable to watch Netflix on my dual monitor set up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to watch Netflix on my dual monitor set up: For some annoyong reason whenever i try and load up netflix or amazon prime on my PC, my second monitor just completely shuts off. Ive tried using the web version of netflix and the windows application and im still getting the same issue. But for some weird reason im still...
  7. HDMI how to watch video

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI how to watch video: I have been in the hospital for two months (really old also). My windows 10 PC is dedicated primarily to watching videos. It is already setup to watch videos using an HDMI cable (already attached), but I have forgotten how get the video to play from the computer to my big...
  8. how to set up and watch a sunsetter disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to set up and watch a sunsetter disc: need to watch a sun setter disc. placed disc in side compartment. now what https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-up-and-watch-a-sunsetter-disc/c22c83be-1759-4c29-9d8e-fe88ab3013ee
  9. How to Watch Movies Online?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Watch Movies Online?: My default browser is Internet Explorer and using Windows 10 Home Basic. Loading simple sites like google.com are perfectly fine. But when I try to watch movies online from movie streaming sites such as fmovies, movieglide or netflix, it takes ages just to load the...
  10. How watch videos backed up to hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How watch videos backed up to hard drive?: Hi folks the absolute IMO 100% easiest way for watching videos or listening to music from HDD is simply to install KODI - it will play things that VLC won't even do at times. Also KODI works on phones, tablets etc too. If you have an amazon fire TV stick you can...