Windows 10: How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10

Discus and support How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]There are man laptop users who want to close the lid but do not […] This article How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10

WinClub, Mar 3, 2021

2. Windows 10 laptop restart after closing lid

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

From the description provided, I can understand that your laptop screen is not locked when you close the lid.

I would also suggest you to try to restore the settings for the power options settings in Windows to default and then again set it to your preference.

Press Windows key and R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.

Type the following commands:

• Disable the sleep mode option: powercfg -h off.

• Reset and Restore All Power Plans to Default:
      powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, please feel free to write to us and we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 3, 2021
  3. Windows 10 restarts upon closing the laptop lid

Hi Gokul,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you with this issue.

From the description provided, I can understand that your laptop restart when you close the lid even though you kept the settings to sleep.

I would also suggest you to try to restore the settings for the power options in Windows to default and then again set it to your preference.

Press Windows key and R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.

Type the following commands:

• Disable the sleep mode option: powercfg -h off.

• Reset and Restore All Power Plans to Default:
      powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Hope it helps to fix the issue. If you need further information, please feel free to write to us and we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 3, 2021
  4. How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10

Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10

1. How to set what happens when you close the laptop lid using PowerCFG in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - set happens close

2. disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop: I need help disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop. I am using windows 11 and I am using the hp 14 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-lid-detection-when-you-close-the-lid-of/5fdf5007-2217-4647-850c-ccec6ded4c7e
  3. disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop: I need help disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop. I am using windows 11 and I am using the hp 14 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-lid-detection-when-you-close-the-lid-of/5fdf5007-2217-4647-850c-ccec6ded4c7e
  4. What will happen if I close my laptop's Lid while reseting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What will happen if I close my laptop's Lid while reseting: hi what will happen if I close it's lid if I reset itI choosed that nothing will happen when the lid is closed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-will-happen-if-i-close-my-laptops-lid-while/138dd5e6-7ad5-4586-9213-1079575fc846
  5. What will happen if I close my laptop's Lid while reseting

What will happen if I close my laptop's Lid while reseting: hi what will happen if I close it's lid if I reset itI choosed that nothing will happen when the lid is closed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-will-happen-if-i-close-my-laptops-lid-while/138dd5e6-7ad5-4586-9213-1079575fc846
  6. ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...: My work ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting" set to "Do Nothing". I am using external monitor and I want to be able to just keep the laptop lid closed. What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  7. What happens if I close the laptop lid during a reset?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happens if I close the laptop lid during a reset?: I want to reset my pc but keep my personal files because lately my laptop has been a little slow. I want to leave it over night because I imagine it will take a little while with all my games on it. In my settings I have it put so that when I close the lid when my laptop is...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. What happens when you close an email account

What happens when you close an email account: Hi, so im looking to close my yahoo mail account, yahoo says that after 30 days someone else can take my yahoo mail email address if they want. Chances of that happnening are slim to none. But if someone ever did would they start getting my emails from people or companies...
  10. How to update Windows 10 when the laptop lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to update Windows 10 when the laptop lid is closed?: I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 (plugged into house current), and would like Windows updates to be installed while I close the lid overnight. What would be proper power settings to accomplish this? Thanks. 66158