Windows 10: How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses

Discus and support How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I work in service centerand mostly I set repair computers which related with OS part. I have some flash drives with all Windows versions, and some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alibek7474, Dec 24, 2020.

1. How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses

I work in service centerand mostly I set repair computers which related with OS part. I have some flash drives with all Windows versions, and some other tools for PC. When connect my flash drive to computer with viruses, my flash drive gets some viruses and it bacome inoperative. After that I have to reinstall all Windows versions to the flash drive again. I searcher in google a little bit, but I could not find what I needed. I need to set write protection to my flash drive, so that any computer could not write anything to my flash drive. If you know some ways to do this, I would be so thankful if you help me with this. Sorry for my English. Thanks

submitted by /u/Alibek7474
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alibek7474, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    USB devices getting write protected

Hi Imdad,

Some removable storage devices like USB flash drives or pen drive have write protection which is designed to help users prevent unexpected data loss by refusing to delete or format.

However, if you’re stuck with a write-protected USB drive that can’t be formatted. We recommend that you follow these steps on how to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive and pen drive using the Regedit.exe tool in Windows. To do this,
    follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following folder:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the
    write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Dec 24, 2020
  4. How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses

USB flash drive write protected

I am trying to understand the programing of a USB Flash drive from the manufacturers. I understand the microcontrollers. I can understand PIC Erom type memory chips. I am unsure of how the program for the write protect is set from the computer into the
    microcontroller of the USB Flash drive? I am wondering why so many flash drives go into write protection and are unable to recover from this mode? I have seen three of these devices myself. I know using a lazy soft recovery disk that the drive can be wiped.
    It can also be check. It can be clone to fully through the drive. It then can be re-formatted on the windows 10. Then it will go back to write protected. I am sure different manufacturers have different designs and different ways for stacking the memory chip.
    I am trying to figure out if some manufacturers have left a floating signal somewhere in the design that causes this problem if the USB flash drive is not ejected first? Is it caused by setting the USB drive to indexing which then would need to be ejected?
    Or are Microsoft and the USB flash drive manufactures not using the same standards to set these drives up? Thus writing to a programed vector that causes that information to be lost thus never allowing the write cycle to happen?

LaurenKeeney, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses

1. How to set write protection on my Flash drive, in order to prevent getting viruses - Similar Threads - set write protection

2. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  3. Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Write Protect on Flash Drives: I have been trying for several days to remove Write Protect on my Flash Drives.I have been trying the DOS Commands.I tried the DISKPART and none of the disk drives appear. I have also tried Windows 8.1, with the same results, but would like to stay on Windows 10.There are no...
  4. Flash Drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash Drive is write protected: I have a brand new PNY 256gb flash drive. I started to copy files to it and I got the message that it must be formatted before using it. I tried to format it and after a few minutes, I got the following error message: The disk is write protected. I tried SFC/SCAN file and got...
  5. USB Flash drives write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drives write protected: Recently my four USB flash drives were write protected by Windows 10 Pro. I am using a version 2004. How can I removed the write protection. I have tried the DISKPART, REGEDIT, search the net, but to no help. Can anyone help me on this please. [ATTACH] Thank you Ricky...
  6. USB flash drive write protected

USB flash drive write protected: I am trying to understand the programing of a USB Flash drive from the manufacturers. I understand the microcontrollers. I can understand PIC Erom type memory chips. I am unsure of how the program for the write protect is set from the computer into the microcontroller of the...
  7. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  8. USB Flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drive is write protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write protected" error, please? Thanks in advance!...
  9. USB Flash drive is write-protected

USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...
  10. Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format: I have (3) Microsoft brand 32 GB thumb drives that have Win 8.1 and preload software for my HP laptop, I have no use for them, and I'm certainly not ever going to put Win 8.1 back on my laptop, I spend most of time on my Surface and desktop PC, laptop is a backup device that...