Windows 10: How to setup Task Scheduler to backup folders from NAS to PC over LAN?

Discus and support How to setup Task Scheduler to backup folders from NAS to PC over LAN? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello everybody, In my LAN I have a PC, NAS and a Laptop. I need to schedule a backup from NAS to PC once a week. My NAS automaticaly powers on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by unpetru, Jul 23, 2015.

1. unpetru Win User

How to setup Task Scheduler to backup folders from NAS to PC over LAN?

Hello everybody,

In my LAN I have a PC, NAS and a Laptop. I need to schedule a backup from NAS to PC once a week. My NAS automaticaly powers on but I need my PC to do the same and to copy certain folders from NAS to a backup folder in my PC. The NAS has a letter asigned in my PCs Windows Explorer. Fist, it needs to delete those folders from the previous backup, and then to start backing up from NAS.

Thanks a lot guys!

:)

unpetru, Jul 23, 2015
  2. pekkan4 Win User

Why Task Scheduler runs only the first action from the action list after upgrade from Win10 to Win10 Anniversary update

I have had a task in task scheduler for years that has a handful of robocopy commands with respective RJC files that backup my files to a NAS drive.

It has been running successfully but now it only runs the first robocopy command (succesfully) on the list and not the remaining ones. I don't see any errors anywhere in task schedule or in the event viewer (I was looking at all the windows logs and app
    logs specifically for task scheduler in the event viewer). When I run the actions manually from elevated CMD they run just fine. I also tried re-entering my user name & PW for the task as it as been the issue in the past after some upgrades but that did not
    help either.

The robocopy commands are basically all the same with same options in RJC files and flags except for output to different log file and the source and destination folders are different but all between the same local HDD and the NAS drive.

Also, I have another task which is similar but instead takes the backup to USB drive. It is now having the same problem after the upgrade.

Any idea what is wrong or how to troubleshoot the issue?

pekkan4, Jul 23, 2015
  3. mouse2404 Win User
    set Task Scheduler automatic shutdown after a spercific program has run

I have 2PC's on 1 I use as a backup for my file backup from PC 1, which automatically will start PC2 if it is not running. How do I schedule a task to switch of PC 2 after file backup has run using Task Scheduler.

PC 1 runs file backup once a day, if PC 2 is not running it will start it up, both PC's are on a home network.

Any help would be appreciated.

mouse2404, Jul 23, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Go to Control Panel and use the applet called Back up & Restore (Windows 7). You can choose what & where to back up and set a schedule.

5. unpetru Win User
    Not going to work. I can't see network drives there. I need to backup some folders over LAN from a server (NAS) to my PC.

unpetru, Jul 23, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    Take a look at Uranium Backup. Excellent bit of software.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  7. unpetru Win User
    Can it wake up my computer?

unpetru, Jul 23, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

You'd have to ask them that. I can't see it mentioned on their website.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2015
  9. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Apologies, I didn't read your post properly. Backing up a NAS to a PC, eh? How unconventional. *Wink

You can achieve what you want to do with a simple batch file. Like this:

Code: :: Delete old destination backup folder RD "Y:\Backup" /S /Q :: Wait until folder has been deleted :waiting TIMEOUT /T 1 IF EXIST "Y:\Backup" GOTO waiting :: Copy source backup folder and files to destination XCOPY "Z:\Backup" "Y:\Backup" /E /I /H[/quote] Then you can have task scheduler run the batch file whenever you want, and it can also wake your PC to run the task.

I tested this using two network drives, one as source, one as destination, and it works fine.

10. unpetru Win User
    Then you can have task scheduler run the batch file whenever you want, and it can also wake your PC to run the task.

I tested this using two network drives, one as source, one as destination, and it works fine.[/quote] Thanks a lot. I will check it out. Now i am testing a batch with robocopy programe /mir. The bad part is that CMD is always visible. It cant run the procces with it being hidden. And I have to check if task scheduler can wake up my computer. Does it have to be in sleep mode only or it can wake it up from shut down?

Thanks again!

I need a reverse backup solution because my RAID broke (one HDD dead) and I cant afford right now another one. After just 2 weeks, my UPS died too, so i have my precious NAS connected directly to the electrical socket and I had some pretty bad experiences in the past with that. So, besides my automatic backup to the external HDD connected to the NAS, I need another redundant automatic backup to PC. I am a freak! *Smile

unpetru, Jul 23, 2015
  11. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Well, there's various different levels of sleep states. Which ones you have depends on your motherboard and hardware. But if you want the PC completely turned off then no OS can wake from that.

However, there is a little used feature that's been in BIOS for years that can turn on the PC at a certain time. How much control you have with the schedule will depend on your BIOS. It should at least allow your PC turn turn on at the same time every day or on a certain date.

In the BIOS Setup look under Power Saving Settings (or similar) for something like 'Resume on RTC Alarm'. (RTC = real time clock).

Task scheduler can turn off the PC.

12. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Oh, and you can have the batch file run completely hidden, do this in the Task Scheduler task's properties:

On the 'General' page change user account to SYSTEM.

Tick 'Run with highest privileges' and 'Hidden'.

13. unpetru Win User

I tried. Doesn't work. I don't know why. It just doesn't work in hidden mode.

unpetru, Jul 23, 2015
  14. NUS
    Nus Win User
    You have to change the user account to run the task under to SYSTEM and have 'Run with highest privileges' and 'Hidden' ticked. Did you try that?

Otherwise, attempt to start the task to run under NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. It may throw an error after you enter the password but it should set the user to SYSTEM with the correct privileges.

15. unpetru Win User
    Thank you for your feedback. I will try to hide the process but even if I couldnt, my problem is solved. Thanks a lot! *Smile

unpetru, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to setup Task Scheduler to backup folders from NAS to PC over LAN? - Similar Threads - setup Task Scheduler

2. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  3. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  4. HOW TO SCHEDULE A TASK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW TO SCHEDULE A TASK: HELLO, I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SCHEDULE A TASK TO RUN AUTOMATICALLY AT A CERTAIN HOUR IN WINDOWS 10. THANKS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-schedule-a-task/c6df2696-878b-4354-a0cf-fa2143a4f318
  5. how do I setup Windows Backup schedule for execution?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do I setup Windows Backup schedule for execution?: How do I setup Windows Backup schedule for execution? -- It seems to execute periodically during the day. -- This seems to cause cursor movement to hesitate and be jerky ....
  6. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...
  7. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...
  8. Backup to NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to NAS: Hello! I want to save my Windows backup to my NAS but i am running access to it without credentials, and that dosnt work for Windows Backup. The backup feature wants credentials but i dont have any. Typing Guest/Guest dosnt work, it just says i need full permission but i...
  9. Accessing NAS from task scheduler to run under SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing NAS from task scheduler to run under SYSTEM: I'm trying determine if a (non-Microsoft) product creates a security exposure. In order to do this I need to run a task under "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". My first step was to create a task that accesses a public share on NAS and schedule it to run under SYSTEM. (I'm not really...
  10. Empty folder in task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty folder in task scheduler: I open task scheduler as administrator. I navigate to Microsoft, Windows, RAC. The task is empty. The RAC folder is System32 is there, but empty as well. The reason I looked is that my Reliability Monitor is no longer an option in Security and Maintenance. I've been having...