Windows 10: How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V?

Discus and support How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to know how to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? Tutorials for Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't seem to work. I am using the ISO that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sasuke__Uchiha, Jun 3, 2020.

1. How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V?

I want to know how to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? Tutorials for Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't seem to work. I am using the ISO that I downloaded.

These are the tutorials I used. They all say the same thing...

:)

Sasuke__Uchiha, Jun 3, 2020
  2. Cliff S Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Well Martin I finally got around to giving it a try.
    And.....

If everyone just follows your instructions "step by step" exactly....
    it works perfectly!!!*Party

I now have 4k Ubuntu in Hyper-V
    How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? [​IMG]

ThanksHow to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? :)
    1080p
    (click to enlarge)

4K*Party*Party*Party(change to 200%)
    (click to enlarge)

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

NOTE: This guide has been superseded. Just use Quick Create from Hyper-V, select Ubuntu.

Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhanced mode in Hyper-V.

EDIT: This has now been modified for release version.

Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being better. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss that. The aim here is to get constructive comments about the Hyper-V mode that can be fed back to developers. I will ask @Brink to remove any such irrelevant comments.

It is actually quite easy to do.

Note: It will only work on 1803 (or Skip Ahead I believe). It will not work on FCU 1709.

It is based on this blog, but there are a couple of differences as that was based on 16.04

Sneak Peek: Taking a Spin with Enhanced Linux VMs | Virtualization Blog

Running in enhanced mode allows you to :-

a) resize screens

b) cut and paste text from host and vice versa

c) access native wndows drives

I cannot guarantee this works if the RDP default port of 3389 is changed, or if using 3rd party firewalls.

Steps are as follows:-

1) Install Ubuntu

Download Ubuntu 18.04 iso, and install it in hyper-V as generation 1 vm. I will assume install is named Ubuntu - you need name in Step 4

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubu...ktop-amd64.iso

Be patient installing - it is very slow, even with minimal install!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Modify ubuntu 18.04 to use xrdp

Code:
    Now we need to edit install.sh and comment out two lines

edit it and add # in front of the two rmmod commands as so:-

Code:
    Code:
    Shutdown Ubuntu VM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Register Ubuntu session

Run this command on host PC using powershell with admin rights

Code:
    (change vmname as appropriate from Step 1). Put name in double quotes if spaces in name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Start in Enhanced Mode

Restart VM, and you the get the familiar enhanced mode screen

Important:- UNCHECK Printers in local resources. There is a bug at the moment and if you leave it checked, you cannot see host drives you select.

If you forget, close down VM AND the VMCONNECT SESSION - do not restart same VMCONNECT session or else the enhanced mode screen does not pop up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) Login to XRDP

You will then get the xrdp login screen, and enter username - must be lowercase.

It will now run it in enhanced mode.

Cut and Paste works now.

Shared Host Drives are now visible

cereberus, Jun 3, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V?

Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

This link has more details (steps to do it are for version 16.04 - 18.04 is slightly easier)

Here is how to do it for 18.04. Works on SCU

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V - Windows 10 Forums

NOTE: 18.04 is not yet officially issued for a couple of week or so. Above guide uses the daily prerelease builds.

cereberus, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V?

1. How to setup xRDP for Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows Hyper-V? - Similar Threads - setup xRDP Ubuntu

2. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  3. Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu: I already quit trying to use a bridge and now letting the DHCP supply the IP, but everytime I boot the machine the DHCP gives me a new IP. Is possible to "fix" this random range or is there any real way to make it get fixed? The virtual switch configuration dont presents any...
  4. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  5. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  6. A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V: Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhance mode in Hyper-V. EDIT: This is not working on release version! Something has changed. I see it has been reported - I guess we need to wait. Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being...
  7. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  8. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  9. Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine [img] Information Microsoft's cooperation with Canonical just took a giant leap. Will Cooke from Canonical announced new Hyper-V Quick Create Gallery virtual hard disk with pe-installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS....
  10. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 How to Setup and Use Hyper-V in Windows 10 for OS Virtualization [img] Information Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise editions come with a built-in hypervisor client Hyper-V allowing users to create...