Windows 10: How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?

Discus and support How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I'm trying to setup my Windows PC to be able to sign in With a YubiKey, and need help to use it to log in to my computer directly. Attempting to use... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Rac3rZer0, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rac3rZer0 Win User

How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?

I'm trying to setup my Windows PC to be able to sign in With a YubiKey, and need help to use it to log in to my computer directly. Attempting to use the key will not work, it says that I need to use my password. Is there any way I can set it up to use only a security key or use it in combination with a password?

:)

Rac3rZer0, Jun 22, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Yubikey login support

Hi,

Log in issues can be caused by invalid password or username. For us to assist you further, kindly answer the questions below:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried using Yubikey before?

We're looking forward for your response.

Rose Cal, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4

Hi. Been using Windows 10 ever since it came out. Windows Hello with YubiKey 4 never had a problem. All updates to 1903 were fine but then, recently I upgraded to 1909 because someone suggested that might fix an issue I had with Your Phone companion.

Now, Windows Hello no longer works with YubiKey 4. Windows security key sign-In management refuses to recognize that its a valid security key.

To eliminate the possibility that the key has somehow gone bad, I jumped onto the Yubico website and downloaded Yubico Client for Windows and the key is recognized fine and validated working with that client. I would have stuck with that client but it doesn't
    have the convenience of Windows Hello.

After uninstalling the Yubico client, I went about to try a standard
    Yubico Security Key
    . This worked fine.

I am now suspecting that Microsoft has removed support for FIDO U2F from Windows Hello security key functionality and replaced it with a FIDO2 implementation (instead of supporting both) because that is the only significant difference. YubiKey 4 also supports
    a number of other authentication standards such as OTP, OAUTH, OpenPGP, smart cards, etc which the Yubico Security Key does not support but I don't believe Windows Hello implements these capabilities in security keys.

Can anyone confirm? It just means I have to buy a YubiKey 5 with FIDO2 support but its a real pain for Microsoft to simply dump support for FIDO U2F when a year or two ago, it was considered the mainstream security 2nd factor key implementation before OAUTH
    and FIDO2 specifications were solid.

MikeIndiaKiloEcho, Jun 22, 2021
  4. How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?

yubikey

So...you've never heard of yubikey? 2fa, OATH, OTP?

NormPeterson, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?

1. How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello? - Similar Threads - setup YubiKey Hello

2. What happens if I disable Windows Hello Pin when the Yubikey is the only other setup method?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens if I disable Windows Hello Pin when the Yubikey is the only other setup method?: Therefore, as the title says, will having a security key plus a Windows pin setup force me to use only my security key to log in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-i-disable-windows-hello-pin-when/0ca89bb1-d4f1-49fc-86fd-a7de626ccba7
  3. What happens if I disable Windows Hello Pin when the Yubikey is the only other setup method?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens if I disable Windows Hello Pin when the Yubikey is the only other setup method?: Therefore, as the title says, will having a security key plus a Windows pin setup force me to use only my security key to log in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-i-disable-windows-hello-pin-when/0ca89bb1-d4f1-49fc-86fd-a7de626ccba7
  4. If I disable Windows Hello Pin while the only other method setup is a Yubikey, what happens?

If I disable Windows Hello Pin while the only other method setup is a Yubikey, what happens?: So as the title, suggests, if I have a security key and a Windows pin setup, and I disable the pin, does it force me to only be able to login with my security key?...
  5. If I disable Windows Hello Pin while the only other method setup is a Yubikey, what happens?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I disable Windows Hello Pin while the only other method setup is a Yubikey, what happens?: So as the title, suggests, if I have a security key and a Windows pin setup, and I disable the pin, does it force me to only be able to login with my security key?...
  6. Windows Hello Setup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Setup: I am using Dell Latitude 5490 Laptop, OS windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build.Build in Camera Realteck Driver updated.while trying to setup windows hello after PIN face recognition is not appearing. Yeah Microsoft! please Help...
  7. Windows Hello Setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Setup: I am using Dell Latitude 5490 Laptop, OS windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build.Build in Camera Realteck Driver updated.while trying to setup windows hello after PIN face recognition is not appearing. Yeah Microsoft! please Help...
  8. Windows Hello Setup

9. Windows Hello face recognition + Yubikey 5

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello face recognition + Yubikey 5: Please add the possibility to use face recognition with a Yubikey 5 in true 2FA configuration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-face-recognition-yubikey-5/972a1e97-8127-4c11-8fd2-78f711544a2f
  10. yubikey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    yubikey: Cannot sign into any Microsoft accounts using yubikey5...keeps saying "cannot use this key, try another" and when prompted for password/pin, says invalid pin. Followed the set up instructions...What now...dump Microsoft and migrate over to Linux mint?(where yubikey works...