Windows 10: How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

Discus and support How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi I have a usb drive connected to one machine. I want to be able to share that drive with one other machine so that only those 2 machines can read,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ydnaclluks, Dec 1, 2020.

1. How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

Hi I have a usb drive connected to one machine.

I want to be able to share that drive with one other machine so that only those 2 machines can read, write, delete, etc. from that drive.

I want to do this so I can transfer files over my local network without opening up that folder to everyone else on my local network.

I have seen either to try and mount it as a drive or to try and share the folder, but not sure how to share it with only 1 other user, what is the best way to do this?

submitted by /u/ydnaclluks
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ydnaclluks, Dec 1, 2020

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Dec 1, 2020
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Dec 1, 2020
  4. How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

Mystery local user present with no account

Good afternoon Andre,

Thank you for your feedback, most appreciated. I tried both of your suggestions and the 1st5 user was not listed in either, just my original local user name was listed. I also tried to cut the 1st5 user folder from the C;/users listing and paste it to a
    thumb drive so I didn't loose it but I got this error code, 0x80070057, that prevents me from moving it saying the "parameter is incorrect". Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

R/Confused

Also when I got the error I mentioned above there was a Folder with a person's picture and MY local user name, not the 1st5 user name.

J.W. Sargent, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

1. How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally? - Similar Threads - share drive user

2. Can't share drive C from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't share drive C from one laptop to another: I can share other folders and even another drive D, but somehow, I can't success to share drive C.What could be the problem? One laptop is Win10 and the other is Win11.Thank you!...
  3. Can't share drive C from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't share drive C from one laptop to another: I can share other folders and even another drive D, but somehow, I can't success to share drive C.What could be the problem? One laptop is Win10 and the other is Win11.Thank you!...
  4. Can't share drive C from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I don't want to share files with another user on a local PC

I don't want to share files with another user on a local PC: I have a home computer that I recently built, I downloaded a few games and whatnot, and about a week later a created another user account so family members could use the same computer without seeing my files/apps and vise versa, but when I created the account, I've found that...
  6. Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials: I have a computer that I am moving to another user. We rely on an application that is on a computer on the network. I installed it with the first user who was authenticated with Azure AD. However, when I go to access the shared drive with the new user, it asks for a password,...
  7. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  8. Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC

Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC: I know the basics of network sharing, but it only works for me if I specify sharing with Everyone. Here are my two problems: 1. I want to share a folder on one PC with a specific person working on another PC. I get to where I have to type a name and then click Add.......
  9. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer: Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..." I can successfully share a folder on that drive, if again I give access to "Everyone" which seem like madness... As the title says, I want...
  10. share folders with one user only on another pc

share folders with one user only on another pc: lets say i have two pcs A and B. workgroup and etc configured. is it possible to share a folder in B with the user \A\User3 only?! i'm going crazy but can't find anything... thanks 64044