Windows 10: How to share a folder without giving my microsoft account password?

Discus and support How to share a folder without giving my microsoft account password? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have my microsoft account signed into my windows. If I share a folder the user trying to access gets a prompt to enter username and password and if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ahuja_r, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Ahuja_r Win User

How to share a folder without giving my microsoft account password?

I have my microsoft account signed into my windows. If I share a folder the user trying to access gets a prompt to enter username and password and if I give my username microsoft email and password then that user can access the shared folder but now that user knows my microsoft account password.

How can I avoid that? Is there a way to create a fake/dummy/temp user and password without file tree and without appearing at login screen to give to the user and avoid exposing my credentials?

:)

Ahuja_r, Feb 24, 2021
  2. Peter Win User

How to share any folder without password in Windows 8/10 in a home network if a Microsoft account is involved?

My question is: How to set up file sharing correctly, in a home network, with Windows 8/10, so sharing any folder with "Everyone" (File Explorer->Right click on folder->Properties->Sharing->AdvancedSharing->Share this folder) actually shares the folder with everyone, without password, even with Microsoft accounts?

Before you answer, please read on, because the trivial solution does not work if Microsoft accounts are involved.

I have a home network, with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machines, all in the same Workgroup. No Homegroup. I want to be able to share individual folders on the network, by setting them to shared through File Explorer. In Windows 7 and Vista, I just go to Network and Sharing Center, enable file and printer sharing, disable password protected sharing, and it all works. In Windows 10 and Windows 8, the same still works, but only if both machines use local accounts. As soon as one of the machines - either the one accessing the files or the one sharing them - uses a Microsoft account, it is no longer possible to access any files or folders on the other machines. Specifically, if the machine with the Microsoft account tries to access the machine with the local account, it will prompt for a username and password, and access will fail unless username and password of an actual user on the target machine are provided. Changing the Microsoft account to a local account immediately fixes the problem, with no other configuration changes.

This problem is real, and I've reproduced it on several machines, had friends encounter the same problem, and I've found several reports of other users with the same issue, but no solution. The problem seems to be the same in Windows 8 and in Windows 10.

Successfully implemented workarounds (not solutions):

1. Store the usernames/passwords to the other machines in the Credential Manager and give up the idea of sharing without password. Best use a common account for access*.
    2. Don't use Microsoft accounts.

Peter, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

There used to be a need for an extra step in some conditions** but I thought that need had disappeared [I still do the extra step routinely so I have not tested its need for several years].

** when using different Windows versions on a network that is connected by an ethernet cable directly between the two computers without any router

You used to have to
    1 Set password protected sharing On
    2 Create a local Admin account with the same name on every computer and set the same password for each of those accounts.
    3 Enter the Admin's password when first challenged [when first trying to access a shared folder across the network].
    [4 There was no further call for this password - it was a first-use-only thing.]

Perhaps this is still a useful step? Hopefully, a network buff will chip in soon.

In the meantime, you might check if you have included all the steps in Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials and that your Workgroup name is the same on all network computers.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Thema:

1. How to share a folder without giving my microsoft account password? - Similar Threads - share folder without

2. How to sign in to Windows with a Microsoft account, but without using a password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to sign in to Windows with a Microsoft account, but without using a password?: I'm currently using a Local account on Windows and I haven't set up a password because I don't want to. I just start my PC and it brings me to the desktop right away. Now I want to link my Windows license to my Microsoft account, but for that I have to sign in to Windows with...
  3. Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Folder Sharing with and without Password: Good Day, I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as local accounts on the shared folder PC. But i would also like to share another folder with "Everyone" and require no username...
  4. Microsoft account without password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft account without password: First of all, sorry for bad english I was wondering if it is possible to have a microsoft account on pc and make it so it doesn't require password to login or do anything with admin privlages? I know that it poses a risk to privacy, and it is not a good practise to have...
  5. Removing a Microsoft account without the password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing a Microsoft account without the password: Hi everyone, I set up a Microsoft account when I first had my computer built - but because I don't actually use that email - I forgot the password. I've been through the form to have it reset twice, but because I've never actually emailed from it or used it apart from...
  6. Shared folder password

Shared folder password: How to lock a shared folder with a password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folder-password/ab2aff5e-3696-47d4-9d67-37b948a251a6"
  7. How do I share a specific folder over the network without giving complete access to my PC?

How do I share a specific folder over the network without giving complete access to my PC?: I want to share a specific folder on my PC over the network without allowing access to any other files, yet I'm finding in order to share a folder the PC's trying to access it still need to type in credentials to access my PC which also allows them to browse other files. How...
  8. Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

Share a folder over a home network without password prompting: I just finished putting a new PC together and now I'm trying to accomplish what I would have assumed to be a very simple task. Especially since I can't recall ever having any issues when I was on my old PC. I have a number of folders on my main PC I would like to share...
  9. How to fresh install without microsoft account or password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to fresh install without microsoft account or password: f14tomcat and Bree - thank you guys. I'm hanging my head in shame - for being too idle and panic stricken to read the tutorials first instead of screaming for help. Problem solved! Come the weekend I will find the time to refresh my memory by re-reading that and some of the...
  10. Printer sharing without a password

Printer sharing without a password: I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this printer with a 2nd computer (also win10) on her network. So I set the printer to shared and gave it a sharing name. Then on the 2nd...