Windows 10: How to Share Media Libraries in Windows 10?

Discus and support How to Share Media Libraries in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have four Windows 10 Machines, (Surface 3, two HP laptops, and HP z840 workstation). My workstation has provided access to "Music" library sometime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wmcole, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wmcole Win User

How to Share Media Libraries in Windows 10?

I have four Windows 10 Machines, (Surface 3, two HP laptops, and HP z840 workstation). My workstation has provided access to "Music" library sometime in the past (probably Windows 7) and later in HomeGroup until it was removed from the OS. That "Library" is still accessible via Windows Media Player on other PCs on my home LAN, AND IT IS ACCESSIBLE FROM NON-PC MEDIA PLAYERS LIKE BLU-RAY PLAYERS, HOME THEATER MEDIA RECEIVER / AMP, AND "SMART" TVs.

From one of the laptops that had previously shared it's "Music" library so that it could be accessed from other PCs and non-PC media players, the Music library is no longer visible or accessible from any other PC or media player. I compared the streaming options from Media Player and control panel, the sharing settings from Properties for Library and folder objects, the security settings and principals, looked in the registry for conflicts / differences between the workstation and laptop and found no differences. Additionally I have:

1. Uninstalled / reinstalled Windows Media Player on the laptop.
    2. checked that the services - Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host are running.

3. Checked that the Networking and Sharing basic and Advanced Settings, as well as Media Streaming Settings are the same in both machines.

4. Run the DISM and sfc checks on the laptop.

5. Run the "Shared Folders" troubleshooter from the workstation that says I don't have permission to connect to the Music folder on the laptop in question.

6. Run "Incoming Connections" troubleshooter on the laptop which tells me there is a problem that Windows can't fix without additional info (but not what that info might be).

7. ..etc. etc.

The cessation of access to the laptop apparently occurred when the update to remove HomeGroup was pushed onto the laptop. So my guess is that the update futzed up a registry setting that should have been modified with the loss of HomeGroup that would allow the laptop to expose its media libraries to other machines for access WITHOUT A USER SUPPLYING A UID/PW LOGIN.

I realize that between PCs I could use sharing and security options plus turning off password protected sharing, allowing "Everyone" access to Music, Pictures, Videos "Library" sub-folders would allow access to these libraries by PCs. But they are invisible still to the non-PC media players.

It almost appears as if the entire DLNA service features have been removed from the laptop so compatible devices can't even see it.

How do I get the laptop to once again provide access to non-PC DLNA media players on my home LAN?

:)

wmcole, Feb 10, 2019

2. Building up a library on Windows Media Player

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to rebuild the Media Library on your computer and check for the issue.

Follow the below provided steps.

• Shutdown Windows Media Player.
    • Stop the media sharing service. Go to Start>Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Administrative Tools>Services.
    • Right-click on the “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and select
      Stop.
    • Navigate to “c:\Users\”your username”\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. Now delete the files named
      CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb.
    • Start the media sharing service.
    • Now start Windows Media Player and watch it build up your library again.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    How to delete videos from Shared library of Windows Media Player?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

By default, Windows Media Player will share all the media that is in the library folders from the File Explorer. That is why you are seeing all the videos on the Roku TV.

To remove the videos from shared library we have a workaround, we have tried the workaround on our computers and it works, you can follow the steps and check if that helps for you. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
    • Click on Videos Library.
    • Create a new folder and add the videos that you want to hide from the Share library.
    • Right click on the folder, click on Give access to and select
      Remove access.
    • Now, right click on the folder and click on
      Properties
    • Click on the Security tab and click on
      Advanced.
    • Click on Disable Inheritance and select
      Convert Inherited permissions in to explicit permissions.
    • Click on Apply and OK.
    • Now, click on Edit.
    • Click on WMPNetworkSvc and click on
      Remove.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Note: removing permissions will hide the videos from the shared library for the particular folder. If you want any video to unhide from shared library you can move the video out of the folder.

If the above workaround didn’t help, I would encourage you to provide your valuable feedback in Feedback hub so that our development team can review your suggestions. To provide your feedback, please refer to the article
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback
    Hub app.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 10, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

1. How to Share Media Libraries in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Share Media Libraries

2. My media libraries?

in Windows 10 Customization
    My media libraries?: I am an enthusiastic user of the Win10 app "My Media Libraries" and wanted to ask if anyone has any idea how long films are available there for viewing? Longer than in the media libraries of the stations on their homepages? THANK YOU!...
  3. Media Player Library

Media Player Library: My Media Play is finding incorrect information when I Rip CD's, how do I use/change to a more reliable source for this information https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-library/2a6e12e5-a529-40dc-9a28-e516a076ebcd
  4. windows media library

windows media library: cannot access windows media player library. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-library/dfc27ce3-aee1-4f65-91f2-95ff567695a1
  5. Windows Media Player Library

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Media Player Library: This has started popping up on my monitor. Never have seen it before today. Anyone else with this? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-library/d848f55a-dc62-4cc1-94f7-c49e27f497a6"
  6. Windows media library

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows media library: I am having problems with loading pictures into Media Library for streaming. They load in Windows Media Player OK. I have the Spring 2019 Version of Windows 10. Anybody have a solution for my problem?...
  7. Media Center Library

Media Center Library: Using Media Center Library, how do I add a new photo to an existing photo folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-center-library/01bebacd-ca48-458e-99e5-4658d18124d1"
  8. How to delete videos from Shared library of Windows Media Player

How to delete videos from Shared library of Windows Media Player: Hi I have my windows how do I delete videos On my network sharing I have it set up so my Roku TV's can stream from my laptop But there are videos on there I don't want some people to see Yet it will not let me delete them from the media center.. ***Modified title from:...
  9. Deleting Videos from shared library (windows media player)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleting Videos from shared library (windows media player): Hi I have my windows how do I delete videos On my network sharing I have it set up so my Roku TV's can stream from my laptop But there are videos on there I don't want some people to see Yet it will not let me delete them from the media center.....
  10. Music Library Not Sharing

Music Library Not Sharing: So, I'm trying to access my music library / collection on my laptop from my Xbox 360 and Xbox One, but oddly enough, my music library won't let me share it. [img] When I try to do it through the homegroup settings, when I select the music library from "not shared" to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. share libraries windows 10