Windows 10: How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts?

Discus and support How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Typically, we use some set of simulation/diagnostic programs, which must keep running for some period of time without any interruption on a shared... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by hanysh, Jun 14, 2020.

1. hanysh Win User

How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts?

Typically, we use some set of simulation/diagnostic programs, which must keep running for some period of time without any interruption on a shared workstation.

But we also need to keep separate user accounts for each participant due to security reasons - therefore, no shared user account is permitted.

We'd like to achieve the state, when one person locks the workstation at the end of his shift and another person switches to his user account and can see the same desktop and UI of all running programs, so that he can continue his work without interrupting these running programs.

How to do it? (W10 Enterprise)

I know Windows has separate user profiles and desktops, programs "run as someuser" are not accessible for another user, but I don't think we are the only company in the world with such need. Some solution must exist.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

:)

hanysh, Jun 14, 2020

2. Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.

Hello,

I have a bought a new laptop which 3 different people will share so I created 3 different user accounts for each person. I would assume that each user would see his/her own programs and desktop but that doesn't seem to be the case. When someone
    adds something or removes something from their desktop, the other users' desktop will be affected as well. Same goes for installing and removing programs and apps. I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 5570.

Thank you in advance, David.

DavidCostache1, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.

Only the Windows Desktop apps will install to the specific User account, other programs and apps will install to the PC and therefore all Users - unless the program itself gives you an option to choose the Users - however each User can choose their own
    separate defaults from those programs.

There's more discussion of this here:

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/54264-i...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-19, Jun 14, 2020
  4. How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts?

Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.

Yes, that is the case. Saving a picture to my desktop will not put it on other desktops but installing programs does put a shortcut in the Public Desktop folder. But is there anyway to disable the public desktop folder or remove it so there won't be any
    interference between the accounts when installing a new program?

DavidCostache1, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts?

1. How to share running programs/desktop under different user accounts? - Similar Threads - share running programs

2. Allow specific program to run under non administrator user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow specific program to run under non administrator user: Hello,On windows 10 PC connected to a domain, with a non administrator user, we get for a specific program this message :"do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device."We d like to permanently allow this program.Is there a way to do...
  3. Allow specific program to run under non administrator user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow specific program to run under non administrator user: Hello,On windows 10 PC connected to a domain, with a non administrator user, we get for a specific program this message :"do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device."We d like to permanently allow this program.Is there a way to do...
  4. Run as different user: How to give permissions to a secondary user on the primary user account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Run as different user: How to give permissions to a secondary user on the primary user account.: I am having a problem with the application Canon Digital Photo Professional DPP. It is not responding. I created a secondary admin account and tested the application and it works fine on that account. The only problem is that account cannot access the drives on my computer...
  5. How to get a program to ALWAYS run as different user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get a program to ALWAYS run as different user: I need to run a program as another user every time I use it and it’s annoying to right click and sign in. I want it to automatically save the login of the different user and launch without me having to login. I looked it up and tried the solutions but I’m having trouble. When...
  6. Can different users accounts run in the background.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can different users accounts run in the background.: If I’m signed into one user and start to upload a video to YouTube, can I switch to another user and do different stuff and the video still upload? Or do I have to stay on the same user? Thank you for any help submitted by /u/markp_1998 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?: I want to have both The Sims 2 (base game, physical copy/CD installation) and The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (digital download) on the same computer, but I can't run one with the other installed because they conflict. I have two user accounts on my computer and I was...
  8. Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.: Hello, I have a bought a new laptop which 3 different people will share so I created 3 different user accounts for each person. I would assume that each user would see his/her own programs and desktop but that doesn't seem to be the case. When someone adds something...
  9. Moving desktop from different user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving desktop from different user account: I have 2 user accounts with the DESKTOP folder listed. Either one opens the desktop files and sub-folders. I'd like to move the default location of DESKTOP from one user account to another without creating any redundancies, deletions or problems. Can this be done? *Cool*Cool...
  10. Different default modes (Tablet/Desktop) for different user accounts..

in Windows 10 Support
    Different default modes (Tablet/Desktop) for different user accounts..: Hi I have a touchscreen laptop and 3 user accounts, one of which is for my children (aged 3 and 5). I would like to be able to make the default mode for my children's account 'tablet mode' (to make it as simple as possible for them to use and access key apps) while...