Windows 10: How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?

Discus and support How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Bought a brand new laptop, windows in hdd. How to migrate the OS to ssd, detailed steps would be helpful. Or would it be better if I do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pizzawithbananas, Oct 6, 2020.

1. How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?

Bought a brand new laptop, windows in hdd. How to migrate the OS to ssd, detailed steps would be helpful. Or would it be better if I do a clean reinstall? If so, what are the steps to do it?

submitted by /u/pizzawithbananas
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pizzawithbananas, Oct 6, 2020

2. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Oct 6, 2020
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Oct 6, 2020
  4. How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?

1. How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD? - Similar Threads - shift HDD SSD

2. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  3. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  4. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. shift windows 10 from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    shift windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hi I have original Windows 10 in my laptop, and I want to install SSD as caddy or M2, how can I retain this original windows 10? I don't have any key to the windows, as it came pre-installed with the Windows. And I don't know to which microsoft account the windows is linked...
  6. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD: Currently I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from an old 500 GB HDD. I got a 120 GB SSD and I want to transfer both the OS to the SSD. Youtube tutorials were a bit confusing so I would like some input on the way I'm planning to achieve this. Firstly, I'm planning to...
  7. Can I transfer Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD?

Can I transfer Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD?: Hello, I have an SSD coming in tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I can get my current Windows 10 in the HDD onto the SSD without the use of a USB? I don't care if I lose my data either. I just want a fresh start on the SSD while using the HDD as like a secondary storage....
  8. How to reinstall Windows 10 from HDD to SSD?

How to reinstall Windows 10 from HDD to SSD?: I have a PC with only one HDD and Windows 10 installed on it. I am soon buying a second drive (SSD). Since I will be buying it I will reinstall Windows on it. I don't know how to do it. Can you guys help me? P.S. I don't care about the data on my HDD. I can erase it....
  9. Installing Win10 from my HDD to my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Win10 from my HDD to my SSD: So three years ago I bought Windows 10 on an USB and upgraded from Win 7, as you do. Now I made the decsion back then to save Windows onto my HDD as opposed to my SSD. Now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 onto my SSD in order to make my machine run a bit smoother, and It's...
  10. How to migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD?: I installed my OS on my hard drive, but I just got an SSD. I want to migrate my os to the SSD, and aslo I wanted to migrate certain file (my Steam games). Not sure how to migrate the os or the particular files....