Windows 10: How to skip the boot selection option on start up

Discus and support How to skip the boot selection option on start up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just want to check something, I am running 8.1 and 10 in dual boot, but when the time comes to running 10 on it's own how do I get rid of the OS boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 2, 2015.

1. How to skip the boot selection option on start up

Just want to check something, I am running 8.1 and 10 in dual boot, but when the time comes to running 10 on it's own how do I get rid of the OS boot selection option at start up?

I know that MSCONFIG has options but it will not allow me to set the timeout less than 3 seconds.

What about the start up and recovery option in the advanced tab in system settings? Would this get rid of the selection screen?

Thanks

:)

RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 2, 2015

2. How to: Upgrade from Previous Versions of Windows Using Windows 10 ISO file

There is no "skip" button. Only "Back" and "Next" are available. How to continue with the Win 10 upgrade?

Try another way. Navigate to the ISO on your USB, right-click and select "mount ISO in virtual drive". Then run setup.exe from that.

There should be an option to "upgrade this computer". After selecting that, any product key screens should have a "skip" option.

Computerabber, Jul 2, 2015
  3. 2018-02 Cumulative Updates not installing

how old is your PC. It should not matter mine is 9 years old I built and is BIOS and I get all the options the EFI has for start up options, except select boot order in EFI as I do not have EFI.

Put in install media DVD or USB (select Repair) or the repair CD and access the start up menu that way

seahawks65, Jul 2, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to skip the boot selection option on start up

From msconfig->Boot. Delete the entry of 8.1
    It would not make any sense if you have a dual boot menu and set the timeout to 0 then you will have no time to select which one to boot from. However, the setting will modify the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) with the time out you select. I have never done this before because I have no use for dual boot but I know you can set it to 0 from Admin Command Prompt:
    • type: bcdedit /enum all ==> will display the timeout that you set from msconfig or from Advanced Tab.
    • type: bcdedit /timeout 0 will set the time out to 0.

To answer your question:
    To get rid of the dual boot: delete the entry of 8.1 as mentioned above from msconfig.
    To get back to dual boot, from Admin Command prompt, type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter of the Windows 8.1

topgundcp, Jul 2, 2015
  5. Awesome, i'll give it a try thanks *Smile

What I'm aiming for is to get rid of the selection screen when there is only one OS installed, for some reason it still shows with only one option...I'd rather have it not appear at all.

RamboMcMutNutts, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to skip the boot selection option on start up

1. How to skip the boot selection option on start up - Similar Threads - skip boot selection

2. selective start up cant change to normal start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selective start up cant change to normal start up: discovered this issue by chance trying to figure out why the start up was slowerin msconfig its starting in selective start up, when i click normal start up and reboot no warning or notice to do so as it should, goes back to selective start up each timealso the apply button...
  3. Camera selection on start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera selection on start-up: When I use my Dell laptop on the docking station the facial recognition cannot find the built in camera but it does not transfer to the external camera I also have connected. However when the computer goes into lock through no use and I then return and it looks for a camera...
  4. Camera selection on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera selection on start-up: When I use my Dell laptop on the docking station the facial recognition cannot find the built in camera but it does not transfer to the external camera I also have connected. However when the computer goes into lock through no use and I then return and it looks for a camera...
  5. Disk Repair being skipped on start up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Repair being skipped on start up: (SOLVED found an old post on microsofts forum that fixed my problem) submitted by /u/Drax112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lcftib/disk_repair_being_skipped_on_start_up/
  6. How to skip updates selectively

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to skip updates selectively: I've got Windows 10 on two computers, both currently use Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016). I've also diddled my registry on both machines to notify me of updates, but not to automatically download and/or install them. A couple of days ago I received notification that some...
  7. Can't Select Boot Menu Options With Fast Start Up Enabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Select Boot Menu Options With Fast Start Up Enabled: I'm working on a PC with Windows 10 Pro v1803 and a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 motherboard & SSD. The PC is configured to have boot menu options for normal boot, Macrium Reflect Recovery and Safe Mode. All works fine with fast start up disabled. With fast start-up enabled, the boot...
  8. Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...: Ok well heres my problem. My ram was faulty and my pc BSOD during a video card driver installation. I know this is the issue so all I need to do is get into safe mode to reinstall. I cannot turn off automatic system restore. I cannot enter safe mode because it infinitely...
  9. start up options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    start up options: I want to bit lock drive c, But I get the information that the start up option is not well set https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/start-up-options/259843cc-c34e-4826-8bd3-a3776df847fe
  10. Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up: Another thread prompted me to have a look see at msconfig. To my surprise I find I'm operating with "Selective Start UP: [img] Only twice has this machine been accessed by someone other than myself, 1. A Microsoft Tech (3rd party) for Office installation and 2. A...