Windows 10: How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?

Discus and support How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [ATTACH] One of the example is as seen on the picture of my desktop above : 1. first condition, the icon with all the arrow there 2. I right-click... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by karmapala, Mar 27, 2020.

1. karmapala Win User

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? 2d6394d4-8fe8-4c11-8344-cebdb9b7c0ea?upload=true.gif

One of the example is as seen on the picture of my desktop above :
    1. first condition, the icon with all the arrow there

2. I right-click the desktop and choose refresh

3. the arrow gone and start showing on each icon

The other thing is if I open "This PC", the window open blank for just a second with text "working on it", then all the drives icon is like a rectangular blank paper, then finally it show all the drive's icon.

After trying to do this and that which I found from the internet but no luck, finally I found a comment in superuser forum : go in the settings app and stop real time protection of Windows defender. is it faster now?

So I tried that and yes it's back to normal now ... no more drawing icon after I click refresh.

I found a similar thread :
    Defender real time protection causes slow icon drawing exe files

But the thread is locked and doesn't have an answer.
    I wonder if it's solved yet.

Any kind of respond would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advanced.

:)

karmapala, Mar 27, 2020

2. Defender real time protection causes slow icon drawing (exe files)

Windows defender is causing slow Drawing of icons for .exe because of defender. my downloads folder has numerous exe files and they are slow to draw for several seconds due to antimalware service kicking in. It only happens first time I open, after that
    it's instant - until the next reboot when the same happens! By turning off real time protection and it becomes instant. So defender is the culprit.

It has another annoying side effect when I reboot. My desktop displays and some of the shortcut icons on here takes a few seconds to display. They have white generic paper icons on some of them before they all draw properly. Again it's defender that is causing
    it.

This needs addressing by MS I think

Scottyboy99, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Untable to Control Windows Defender Real-time Protection On/Off

Sometimes, we need to turn off Windows Defender Real-time protection. In my experience, this software may cause some error to run Android Emulator such as BigNox. It also slowing down my Android Studio. To disable Windows Defender Real-time protection, I
    do these steps:

1. Run Windows PowerShell as administrator
    2. execute set-mppreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring 1
    Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> set-mppreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring 1

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

In Windows registry it will create

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection -> DisableRealtimeMonitoring REG_DWORD 1

Tested on Windows 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

But, during my computer idle, windows always put Real-time protection on. It is so annoying. I want to control Real-time Protection manually.

IGA Made Muliarsa, Mar 27, 2020
  4. How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?

Windows Defender Real Time Protection Service slowing down file access

I noticed after a recent Windows 10 update that Windows Defender's real-time protection
    dramatically slows file system access.

I timed how long it took to build a (Delphi XE6) project with Windows Defender's real-time protection off and on in order to get a sense of how bad it is.

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? 4faf6467-088e-4569-87d4-259624a4dc91.png

I did nothing but alternate between real-time protection off and on (no reboots required, physical hardware):

Trial
    Real-time protection status
    Build time (s)

On
    86.4 s

Off
    4.0 s

On
    84.0 s

Off
    4.0 s

On
    86.9 s

Off
    4.1 s

On
    87.4 s

Off
    3.9 s

Which means:

• Build time with real-time protection off: 4.0 s (sd: 0.082 s)
    • Build time with real-time protection on: 86.2 s (sd: 1.51 s)

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? 463c8028-6809-4b99-b8c5-79c4aa4126b5.png

This means that Windows Defender in Windows 10 has now entered the realm of other crappy anti-virus products - that are a detriment to the user's PC rather than a benefit.

• Of course i'm not going to wipe my PC and reinstall everything.
    • Of course there is no other anti-virus software installed.
    • Of course i made no changes to this PC prior to this happening.
    • Of course this is not a virtual machine.
    • It spontaneously started Wednesday October 19.
    • I have no idea what could have happened to my PC between 5pm on October 18th, and 9am on October 19th:

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? e9b5b2d7-93db-4792-ad78-025aa381d5b3.png

No idea whatsoever.

Without disabling Windows Defender Real-time protection, how do I make Windows Defender not perform file-scans before an application attempts to open a file? That is: how do i make Microsoft's own anti-virus software as fast at it used to be in Windows Vista,
    Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 before a recent update?

Bonus Reading

This question has of course already been asked, and ignored, on these forums.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JackTripper, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?

1. How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ? - Similar Threads - solve Defender real

2. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  3. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  4. Microsoft defender real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender real time protection: I'm not using any other antivirus program but windows sees something and ıt's blocking defender realtime protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-real-time-protection/e0b61079-a7e9-4f10-b8c6-f638de94e405
  5. Real time protection of windows defender

Real time protection of windows defender: Due to some reason I can't turn off my windows security real time protection. But i used to do that pretty easily sometime back. [ATTACH] I am currently logged in as administrator. [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows defender Real time protection

Windows defender Real time protection: error 0×800704ec shows and my real time protection is disabled(in windows defender) even tough i have enabled it in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-real-time-protection/eeb47dbb-bfab-4278-97c2-97a9596e4f24
  7. Windows Defender Real time protection slowing down MSMScript control based .Net exe

Windows Defender Real time protection slowing down MSMScript control based .Net exe: Hello Guys, I have had this .Net exe ( using MSScriptcontrol to run VB Scripts) working fine on Windows 10 Ent and previous versions for almost 20 years. Last week, I noticed that it slowed down. I checked Task Manager and noticed Windows Defender Anti malware kicks in...
  8. windows defender real time protection

windows defender real time protection: every time I try to turn on my real time protection a message comes up saying, for your protection some settings are managed by your security administrator. who is the security administrator and how do I fix this?...
  9. Defender: Real Time Protection:

Defender: Real Time Protection:: I just installed the latest Build of Windows 10 . I get this notification in yellow text This setting is managed by your Administrator above the real time protection on Off button and it has been turned on but greyed out. I am not able to disable it. Have scanned it with...
  10. Windows Defender Real Time Protection slowing computer

Windows Defender Real Time Protection slowing computer: I have had my PC since February and in the past couple of days i have been experiencing delays (up to 10 seconds) when browsing the web or opening programs. After so investigating, I have come to the conclusion that it's Windows Defender. When I am doing absolutely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 real time protection slow the pc

2. real time protection slowing game