Windows 10: how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the...

Discus and support how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; hallo, when I am trying to use troubleshooter for window update suddenly this error pop up window cannot access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by harshitbidhuri, Jan 24, 2020.

1. how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the...

hallo,

when I am trying to use troubleshooter for window update suddenly this error pop up

window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

help me anyone

:)

harshitbidhuri, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Ernie San Win User

Microsoft Photos can't access specified device, path or file

Hello Suraj,

One of the possible reason why you are getting an error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item",
    may be due to the corrupted shortcut, if the file needs a permission or
    error if the shortcut or installation is attempting to access a location that is not currently available such as a networked or a removable drive. In order for us to assist you better, we'd like to ask the following:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue? If yes, tell us more about it.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you checked if you are using the administrator access? If yes, do you have any guess or standard profile on your computer?
    • Which application are you using to access photos? Is it an application that you download from the Microsoft Store?

Meanwhile, we recommend checking the article about "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file
    on this link. It's applicable to Windows 7, this is to guide us to
    isolate the main issue why you are unable to access the photos on your device.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ernie San, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' Error.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, ‘'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item’ when trying to access one particular file. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Are you trying to access the shortcut of the file?
    • Which anti-virus are you using on the computer?

I would suggest you try running the application as an administrator and see if that helps. To do this, right click on the file and select
    Run as administrator.

You may also want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or
    file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

Note: The above mentioned article is for Windows 7, however, holds good for Windows 10.

Alternatively, you can also try enabling hidden admin account and check if you are able to access the file in hidden admin account.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

net user administrator /active:yes
    4. After enabling the hidden admin, try accessing the file.

Note: Make sure to disable hidden admin by using the command
    net user administrator /active:no after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 25, 2020
  4. Dan Banks Win User

how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the...

Windows cannot access specified device, path or file....

The file is an executable (iLikeFV.exe) located in c: program files (x86). The error message is: Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Dan Banks, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the...

1. how to solve window cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the... - Similar Threads - solve window cannot

2. How to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...: Hot to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-access-the-specified/ed721d6e-79d7-433c-8d89-21c44c564e05
  3. How to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...: Hot to fix Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-access-the-specified/ed721d6e-79d7-433c-8d89-21c44c564e05
  4. Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate...: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.The path is c:\program files\ windosapp\ microsoftwindowsnotepad.........
  5. Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...: Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.My windows explorer, user icons, Microsoft Store , start button, settings nothing is opening and showing this error. Please help I can...
  6. Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...

Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...: Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.My windows explorer, user icons, Microsoft Store , start button, settings nothing is opening and showing this error. Please help I can...
  7. Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...: I've done some research on this issue and I've literally found nothing that shows this exact problem. Everyone program that has a button that would normally open my browser to some kind of link, doesn't open. SOMETIMES, after showing me the error and pressing "ok", opens...
  9. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...: hi there: When I was going to do the network troubleshooter minutes or so ago, I received this error message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. It stated also something like ...exe....
  10. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the...: Hello I have been receiving below error when I try to open a file on an external SSD . "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"' I am accessing this file with my own-admin account with which...