Windows 10: How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start?

Discus and support How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Bought 2 PCs this year, one in May and the other in June, all with Windows 10 64b. Forgot the update special feature of the home version. I had Shadow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Diano, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Diano Win User

How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start?

Bought 2 PCs this year, one in May and the other in June, all with Windows 10 64b.
    Forgot the update special feature of the home version. I had Shadow Defender installed on both of the 2 PCs and set to "enter shadow mode on boot."

Everything was running smoothly until last week when the first PC had another Windows update (It had updated many times before). Windows was installing the update at the start of the PC, the it restarted and restarted in a endless loop. The PC is paralyzed since it cannot boot into Windows.

How to solve this problem?

Thanks.

:)

Diano, Sep 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 looping endlessly after starting

Why are you ending your comment at "check for the issue"?

I can tell you that anyone who does not know how to do what you said, will not know what to do next.

You should just be telling everyone to undo the upgrade in WRE via the power button method, and getting them back to where they were.

If all these people are having catastrophic problems with a highly engineered piece of software, why on earth does anyone think that ordinary users can iron it out on their own in setting?

And why did you not mention that a mistake while fiddling around in administrative settings can permanently ruin a machine?

Irresponsible. IMO.

Menicholas, Sep 24, 2016
  3. hughdm Win User
    Windows 10 looping endlessly after starting

Very true. I am a software engineer by profession and I had no trouble trying the suggestions, but my wife sitting next to me on the sofa would have had no hope.

hughdm, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

The problem with tools like this is that they are very intrusive into the system, and they are very susceptible to problems with new versions of the OS, largely because they insert themselves into the OS in places the OS designers did not plan for.

In particular, Shadow Defender appears to have had an update recently to fix problems with recent versions of Windows 10. My guess is you probably weren't up to date:

Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

As for how to fix it, since this is likely caused by SD, you might want to email their tech support

L: support@shadowdefender.com

Mystere, Sep 24, 2016
  5. Diano Win User
    Thanks for trying to help.

May I ask 2 more questions?
    1. Any way to get into the Safe Mode of Windows 10 home?
    2. I managed to get the boot options out, but there is no options but one says "Windows Boot Manager." Does Win 10 home provide any boot options?

Thanks.

Diano, Sep 24, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    As I said, there is no way to know what nasty tricks your offbrand "security" tool used, so there is no way to know how to fix this problem, which is why you need to contact them about it. They caused it, they need to fix it.

Mystere, Sep 24, 2016
  7. After my own [different] issues I discovered the easiest way to boot in safe mode is to first manually turn off the computer then if it loads as far as the start screen hold down the shift key while clicking on the power icon to restart and during restart you get the boot options. Choose advanced and the option to start in safe mode is there. This is the easiest way I have found to enter safe mode when Windows doesn't load. There is also an option in that screen to run several repair tools, you may want to try the repair windows start up tool first to see if that fixes your problem. As a last ditch emergency fix if nothing else works the option to rollback Windows to the previous build is also among those options. As is the option to do a total reinstall of Windows 10 if absolutely nothing else works.

I don't know if holding shift during restart will work if you can't even get to the start screen though. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in here and confirm if it works or not. If your computer won't load Windows at least to the start screen the old trick of repeatedly pressing F8 or shift+F8 might work, but the timing is tricky so it may take a few attempts and it may not work at all if you have a fast loading BIOS and an SSD drive

As long as as you know that Shadow Defender is causing your issues I would suggest uninstalling that as soon as you can get Windows to load until you can contact the vendor for tech support. Good luck!

kbennett65, Sep 24, 2016
  8. Diano Win User

Thank you.
    I have been using Shadow Defender since XP dates and Vista and Win 7 and there have been no problem with these OSs. I believe the problem is caused by Win 10. And we have 8 computers at home installed with XP or Vista or Win 7 and all with Shadow Defender installed and none of them has ever had any problem.

Thanks.

Diano, Sep 26, 2016
  9. Diano Win User
    Thank you.

"...while clicking on the power icon..." Do you mean to press the power on button?

My computer is desktop. There is no "power icon" on my keyboard.

Would you please described a litter bit more?

Thanks.

Diano, Sep 26, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    ""...while clicking on the power icon..." Do you mean to press the power on button?"

No, the far right icon on this screen. L-click, you'll see 'Restart' option. Press Shift + Restart to restart computer to Recovery/Troubleshooting options screen.

How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Sep 26, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    This is faulty logic.

I have already pointed to you that their own support page mentions problems with the latest version of Windows 10, and that they have updates to fix that problem. Yet somehow you think that can't possibly be the case because it's always worked in the past.

Security software like this hooks into the OS at a very low level, and because of that it's highly susceptible to problems when a new OS version is released. Firewalls have similar problems and often cause all kinds of havoc when a new OS version comes out. Some anti-virus also has these problems.

It's not the "fault" of the OS that things break. These tools are using undocumented hooks to create their functionality, which MS has never said they would support. Walk through the archives of this board, and see all the people that have had various problems with third party firewalls and anti-virus when new builds were released.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to solve Windows 10 home update looping endlessly at start? - Similar Threads - solve home update

2. Endless restart Loop - win 10 will not update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Endless restart Loop - win 10 will not update: exact steps to install the update manually?Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 20H2Installed on ‎8/‎16/‎2020OS build 19042.867Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0...
  3. windows 10 update endless loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 update endless loop: I have a surface pro I bought feb 2019 and have used very little. I also purchased Office but never entered the key. Windows 10 kept trying to update windows but it would always fail. The last time it started making update changes but then a small empty square with a white...
  4. Windows 10 in endless loop of restarting

Windows 10 in endless loop of restarting: So today Windows forced me to update my PC out of nowhere and after 1 hour and 25% I restarted my PC to hopefully fix the issue of the speed. When it turned back on again it seems to be in this endless loop of: turn on>show bios and launch windows>tell me that it is undoing...
  5. Windows 10 stuck in endless update loop

Windows 10 stuck in endless update loop: Hi, I've had this issue for probably close to a year now. I've been hoping eventually one of the updates will fix the issue, but it never does. And what used to just happen once a month or so then became once a week, and now multiple times a day. If I'm not around to...
  6. endless start up looping

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    endless start up looping: windows 10 is in an endless start up loop. we have tried every way to fix it short of using a usb and media ?. We have tried for days. the pc is about 2 years old. I"m at a loss. any ideas ?...
  7. Windows 10 updates fail, caught in endless loop

Windows 10 updates fail, caught in endless loop: My husbands has a Lenovo Idea pad 320 that came with Windows 10. It has never worked properly since he got it as it instantly needed Windows updates. The updates running in the background render the computer unusable and when they are downloaded, the screen goes black in...
  8. Windows 10 endless loop

Windows 10 endless loop: Hello, Windows 10 did its ordinary update by itself and after that my cpu run 100% all the time. So i decided to get it back to older version, but now my laptop is in endless loop. It is really frustrating. I can't do nothing except accessing to command line prompt when i...
  9. Looping update of Windows 10 - how to solve

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looping update of Windows 10 - how to solve: The automatic update of Windows 10 is looping, failing to update, not letting interrupt it; not receiving keyboard interrupts, only displaying the "round loop" - what can be done? Background: ~ 17 January update is the first totally failing ~ earlier updates have had...
  10. Endless start loop

Endless start loop: Have just installed 10 on a spare drive and installed that drive into my Sandy Bridge and the machine is now going through an endless loop of start up. I can hear it make some sort of noise as if something wants to go and I have again tried the machine with the old 7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shadow defender windows update loop