Windows 10: How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually

Discus and support How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Couldn't find straight forward answer to this. Accidentally moved a load of partial downloads into a folder I had been sorting so mixed things up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/discord_uk, May 23, 2020.

1. How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually

Couldn't find straight forward answer to this.

Accidentally moved a load of partial downloads into a folder I had been sorting so mixed things up. Cancelled half way through. Wanted to sort which ones were last added to folder to remove/ move back. 'Sort by date created' didn't work because was same as original file and not 'moved file'. Couldn't 'undo move' because cancelled half way through. 'Date modified' didn't apply either. Lots of windows advisors on Microsoft page answering question but not answering question when I searched. Turns out 'Date Accessed' is the one I needed. Putting it here so hopefully comes up for someone in similar predicament in a Google search.

submitted by /u/discord_uk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/discord_uk, May 23, 2020
  2. Graeme.P Win User

Sort by date added to folder

Hi there, thanks for your question.

In File Explorer, all sorting options can be viewed by following these steps:

- Open the folder and right click inside of it, not on a file.

- Go to Sort by > More.

This brings up a list of all possibilities of what to sort by. It doesn't look like there's an options for "date added to folder", but one of the other Date options may help, such as Date Created. You could create a copy of the file and move it in, so that
    the date created matches the date added to the folder?

Please let me know if you need more information! Thanks!

Graeme.P, May 23, 2020
  3. Sort by date added to folder

Sorry - it seems I'm not explaining myself well. I know I can add different columns, what I do not know is if there is a column that will allow you to sort by date added.

What I mean by that is:

Lets say that at 9am this morning I added the file cats.jpg to a folder that is full of pictures. Then at 3pm I added the file dogs.jpg. I now want to sort the folder by the date that the file was added. So it would list first dogs.jpg, then cats.jpg
    and on through all the files. Note this is when added, rather than when created/modified/last accessed.

I've tried lots of different columns with date in them, and none of them seem to be doing what I need. I'm not sure if I'm missing something (because responses to this question suggest it can be done), or if it's actually not possible to know when a file
    was added to a folder (as opposed to created).

Mem_123412, May 23, 2020
  4. temp02 Win User

How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 23, 2020
Thema:

How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually

1. How to sort files by 'date added to folder' to undo copy or move manually - Similar Threads - sort files 'date

2. Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer: I want to sort files by date added to folder to easily find a file that I have recently downloaded.NO! Date modified and date created does not solve this. The date created and modified could be 1 jan 2000, but I added it to my folder 7 april 2024. The problem is that this...
  3. Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer: I want to sort files by date added to folder to easily find a file that I have recently downloaded.NO! Date modified and date created does not solve this. The date created and modified could be 1 jan 2000, but I added it to my folder 7 april 2024. The problem is that this...
  4. How to sort files by date added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sort files by date added: How do i sort files by the date they were added to the folder, not the date they were created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-date-added/8391ea82-1e52-4b8e-b38b-b41758cf9bc5
  5. How to sort files by date added

How to sort files by date added: How do i sort files by the date they were added to the folder, not the date they were created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-date-added/8391ea82-1e52-4b8e-b38b-b41758cf9bc5
  6. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  7. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  8. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Copied folders - sort by original date

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copied folders - sort by original date: I've got a bunch of folders with photos that I've copied back to a local drive from a Macrium image. The problem I have is that every folder now has a created date of March 07 2020 and I cannot sort them by their original creation date. Is there any way to sort the folders by...
  10. Sort by date added to folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by date added to folder: I would like to sort by date added to a folder. None of the date options seem able to recognise when something was added to a folder. Is this possible? This question has been asked many times - but I couldn't find an answer that was current....