Windows 10: How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

Discus and support How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to sort files and folders together. I have a collection of movies ripped from my DVD collection and some are in folders with extra files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NickPinto1, Mar 17, 2021.

1. How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

I would like to sort files and folders together. I have a collection of movies ripped from my DVD collection and some are in folders with extra files like subtitles or extras and some are simply mkv files. I would like to sort them all alphabetically.

IE:

A.file

B.folder

C.file

D.folder

Windows will only do:

B.folder

D.folder

A.file

C.file

I've been looking for how to do this for a while and it seems nobody has a real answer:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/sort-files-and-folders-together/0c7928ab-a725-4b38-9fe1-d9f330f08886

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-by-date/265495de-d4e7-426c-ab04-ea11542df52c

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...abetical/d49df2d7-816c-4a90-8f91-1c6dfcc57ef4

How is this not a setting available since windows 7 and before?!?

Since sorting by type is possible, I would assume that we could also NOT sort by type.

Why can't we just deactivate this segregation between folders and files for those of us who want to do so?

Microsoft seems to know about this but continues to ignore or sandbag the problem and suggest crappy workarounds or just add a link to their utterly useless support site.

If you know how to fix this you will be my best friend

Thanks,

Mr. Moving-closer-to-adopting-Linux-every-day

:)

NickPinto1, Mar 17, 2021

2. Favourites Folders -alphabetical sorting within each Folder

Hi Neil,

Let me provide you now the steps on how to to sort your folders in alphabetical order.

This method will allow you to arrange your favorites by alphabetical or by their numbers.

Here are the steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on Favorites.
    • Right-click on Favorites Bar.
    • Right-click on the Favorites folder.
    • Click on Sort by, then select Name and
      Ascending

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Mar 17, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    File Folder ahead in sort by ''Name''

When sort by name is selected, Windows File Explorer always shows Folders alphabetically and then Files alphabetically, this is the way it has always been arranged . . .

DaveM121, Mar 17, 2021
  4. How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

Sorting folders and files in file explorer Windows 10

How can I sort files in the "directory" so that folders are listed alphabetically and below the files are in descending date order. "date modified. The fix for Windows 7 is not working for me. It can sort by descending date modified which puts the folders
    at the bottom of the list or by name which puts folders at top and files below all alphabetically.

Patricia_382, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

1. How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric - Similar Threads - sort folders files

2. Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10: Files are sorted ascending by name, but shown in a weird way: 07<digit> files are below 08<letter> files though 07<letter> files are above 08<letter ones>.Is it possible to sort files which names start with numbers in a real alphabetical order?Thanks,Boris...
  3. Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10: Files are sorted ascending by name, but shown in a weird way: 07<digit> files are below 08<letter> files though 07<letter> files are above 08<letter ones>.Is it possible to sort files which names start with numbers in a real alphabetical order?Thanks,Boris...
  4. Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??: [ATTACH] I have my game shortcuts all in one folder, and when it comes to games with sequels or expansions, the sequels are always listed before the original. I would imagine that in the case of Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite, they would be in that order. But...
  6. Sort files and folders of different type alphabetically

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files and folders of different type alphabetically: Is there a way of sorting different types and folders alphabetically together in a folder? For example :- Folder Name A PDF Name A Folder Name B PDF Name B At the moment W10 would sort these as,even though I have only checked name in the sort by field :- Folder Name A...
  7. File explorer sorts my folders in documents alphabetically

File explorer sorts my folders in documents alphabetically: but I don't want them to be split into 3 columns of A-H, I-P and Q-Z. I want them to be in one list without being divided up. It isn't necessary in my book anyway!. Thanks for any help....
  8. Sort files and folders together

Sort files and folders together: I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example). So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from years ago about people trying to achieve the same stuff in Windows Explorer. Examples:...
  9. Windows 10 - sort folders & files Swedish alphabet

Windows 10 - sort folders & files Swedish alphabet: When I sort folders and files alphabetically all items that start with the Swedish letters å, ä and ö (the last three letters in the Swedish alphabet) end up sorted a either 'a' (å & ä) or 'o' (ö). How can I change this so they are sorted correctly?...
  10. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?: Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive, which has thousands of films... most are in folders, but some are just files. I searched here and elsewhere, but did not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 sort mixed files folders

2. windows explorer sort by name folders and files together