Windows 10: How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

Discus and support How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello all, Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help Let's say that I have an Excel table: Name Marge Maggie Lisa Homer... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Casey Stellar, Dec 18, 2020.

1. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

Hello all,

Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help

Let's say that I have an Excel table:

Name
    Marge
    Maggie
    Lisa
    Homer
    Bart

How can I sort the column so that it results in:

Name
    Bart
    Homer
    Lisa
    Maggie
    Marge

I've found some tutorials elsewhere, but it doesn't explain how to keep Name at the top.

:)

Casey Stellar, Dec 18, 2020
  2. DavidY Win User

MS Excel - Sorting text cells

1. Insert a blank column next to the one with your numbers 1,1a etc
    2. In that new column use a formula which is Code:
      where A2 is the cell reference of the first value in the catalogue numbers column (in my example it's in the first column)
    3. copy that formula down to all rows
    4. Add a title to the top of the new column, eg. 'Sorter'
    5. Select all the data range, and from the Data bit of the Ribbon, select the Sort option (not using an Autofilter), and select to sort on the new Sorter column
    6. You should get a dialog popping up saying the sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some numbers formatted as text. In this, choose the option to 'Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately'.
    This should sort in the order 1,1a,1b,2,2a etc.

DavidY, Dec 18, 2020
  3. 91fw Win User
    MS Excel - Sorting text cells

It's a feature, see MS description and attempted solutions here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-data-in-excel
    Worksheet design needs to comply with excel features.
    For stamps you might need several columns such as country, some subdivision, year, something about the stamp. Follow with multicolumn sort.
    Now, if it really is of the 1,2,1a,… type, AND if only one lower case letter is used then this mad formula converts letters of what's in column A to a number after a decimal point.
    Multiply makes it a number otherwise excel might still treat it as text.
    IF(ISNUMBER($A2),$A2,LEFT($A2,LEN($A2)-1)&"."&CODE(RIGHT($A2,1))-96)
    Just couldn't resist joining the fun of playing with it How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically? :)

4. Bree Win User

How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

Excel: how to sort columns

I don't think Sort will achieve what you want. A sort will sort the individual cell contents by Row or by Column (Custom sort options: sort Top to Bottom or Left to Right). Depending of the data in each cell you could end up shuffling the cells so that in each column you may end up with cells that were originally in several different columns.

How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically? [​IMG]

As I understand it you want to rearrange the columns so that all the cells contained in column CS_S are moved to the first column, shifting the rest of the columns one column to the right. For that you'll need to do it manually. Select an entire column, right-click on it and cut it, then insert it where you want it to appear.

Thema:

How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

1. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically? - Similar Threads - Sort Microsoft Excel

2. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  3. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  4. File Explorer Sort issue - Mixed alphanumeric fields

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Sort issue - Mixed alphanumeric fields: I work with a lot of mixed alphanumeric file names - eg 000AF39B, 000134FG - ands windows insists on only ever sorting them Alpha first, Numeric second where I need the opposite as the system I work with uses 0 - 1, A, B, C etc - so sorting Alpha first totally jumbles the...
  5. Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets: Can someone help me to I presume clear formatting in cells. I'm entering a column of numbers in this case planting space guides for vegetables and every once in awhile a random cell will revert to a date. For example, if you look down the column you see 15-30, 40-50, Oct-15...
  6. Excel sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel sorting: I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 & 11 etc and i sort the list it comes out as candidate 1; candidate 10, candidate 11, candidate 2; candidate 3 etc, i know its...
  7. Excel: how to sort columns

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel: how to sort columns: [img] Hi I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left, CS_E is in column 3, etc. I have tried a bunch of diff options under data>sort, but regardless of what I try, I cant get...
  8. coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell: I am trying to copy text from one excel to another excel cell automatically on the same worksheet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/coping-text-from-a-excel-cell-to-another-excel/5a272c74-33e6-457c-82f8-3ae3196e8f81"
  9. MS Excel - Sorting text cells

MS Excel - Sorting text cells: I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example: stamps 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a should be sorted as 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a. I know I am doing something wrong because I keep getting the...
  10. EXCEL sort sequence

EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...