Windows 10: How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster

Discus and support How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The speed and performance of a Virtual Machine depend on the specifications of the host machine like RAM, processor, etc. But sometimes, despite having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 17, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster

The speed and performance of a Virtual Machine depend on the specifications of the host machine like RAM, processor, etc. But sometimes, despite having a powerful computer, the Virtual Machine runs slow. In this article, we will describe some methods that will help you make your Virtual Machine run faster.

How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster [​IMG]

Why is my Virtual Machine running slow?

Before describing the methods to make a VM faster, let’s see some of the reasons for a slow VM.

1. Host system capacity.
    2. Other running apps.
    1] Host system capacity

This is one of the major factors on which the speed of a Virtual Machine depends. If you want your Virtual Machine to run smoothly, you should have a powerful host system. CPU, RAM, and disk space are the three major factors that determine how powerful your host system is.

Virtual Machines require a lot of processing power. Therefore, it is mandatory for a host system to have a multicore central processing unit. A multicore CPU can operate the Virtual Machine better and smoother.

RAM is another important factor that determines the speed of a Virtual Machine. Your system should have enough RAM if you want to experience a smoother speed of a Virtual Machine. The minimum RAM requirement for a VM is 16 GB. However, 8 GB RAM can be good in some situations. But, if you have 4 GB RAM, you will face performance issues while running the VM, even if you have closed all other programs.

Disk space is another factor that affects the speed of the Virtual Machine. To make VM run smoother, you should allocate enough empty disk space. For this, your host system should have plenty of empty space on the disk.

2] Other apps running on the host machine

When a VM runs on a host computer, it uses its CPU, RAM, and disk space. Therefore, if you have opened many apps or software on your host computer, you will face performance issues in Virtual Machine. For optimum performance of VM, it is recommended to close all the running apps or software on the host machine.

How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine

The following methods will help you make your Virtual Machine run faster.

1. Install VirtualBox Guest Additions.
    2. Allocate more memory to VM.
    3. Allocate more CPU to VM.
    4. Increase the video memory.
    1] Install VirtualBox Guest Additions

This is the most important step to make a VM run faster. The Guest Additions contain special drivers that a Virtual Machine requires to run smoothly.

Following are the steps to install VB Guest Additions:

1. Launch Virtual Machine on VirtualBox.
    2. Go to ‘Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image.’
    3. Open This PC.
    4. Double click on the ‘CD Drive (D): VirtualBox Guest Additions‘ to open it.
    5. Install ‘VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.’ If your host system architecture does not support this file, you will get an error. In this case, try installing the other Guest Additions.

After the installation gets completed, reboot the Virtual Machine.

Read: VirtualBox displays a black screen and not booting guest OS.

2] Allocate more RAM to VM

Just like the physical computer, the performance of a VM also depends on how much RAM is allocated to it. The more memory you allocate to the VM, the smoother experience you will get.

To increase the amount of memory in VM, follow the below-listed steps:

1. Launch VirtualBox and select the Virtual Machine.
    2. Now, click on the Settings and select ‘System‘ from the left side.
    3. Under the ‘Motherboard‘ tab, move the slider to increase the RAM.
    4. Click OK to save the settings.

Please do not cross the green mark on the slider as it can have a negative impact on your host system health. If it does not help, you should increase the physical RAM on your host computer.

3] Allocate more CPU to VM

The host machine CPU handles all the calculations required to run a VM. Hence, if the Virtual Machine uses more CPU, it will run faster and smoother.

Follow the below-listed steps to allocate more CPUs to VM:

1. Launch VirtualBox and select the VM to which you want to allocate more CPUs.
    2. Click on the Settings and select System on the left side.
    3. Under the ‘Processor‘ tab, move the slider to increase the number of CPUs for the VM.
    4. Click OK to save the settings.

Please keep the slider under the green mark.

4] Increase the video memory

If despite having a heavy-duty graphics card on your system, you still experience the slow speed of VM, consider increasing the video memory. In addition to this, enable 3D acceleration.

We have listed the steps below to do this:

1. Select Virtual Machine in VirtualBox and click on Settings.
    2. Click on the ‘Display‘ on the left side.
    3. Move the slider under the ‘Screen‘ tab to increase the video memory.
    4. Select the checkbox in the ‘Acceleration‘ section to enable 3D acceleration.
    5. Click OK to save the settings.

Hope this article helped you speed up the Virtual Machine.

Related posts:

This article How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 17, 2021
  2. S_and_S Win User

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, May 17, 2021
  3. Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine

Hi, I have created a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) on my Windows 10 Professional 10.0.17134.285 Surface Pro computer

and would like to operate Windows 10 on that VM. (The purpose is to run Excel 64 bit

within that machine. The physical machine is already running Excel 32 bit - I need to run

both). I am having problems activating Windows 10 within the VM - are you able to help?

Thanks.

RobinBarrett2, May 17, 2021
  4. mab1376 Win User

Install Mac OSX into virtual machine

Is there anyway to setup mac osx into a virtual machine?

i.e. making a virtual machine using virtualbox?

mab1376, May 17, 2021
Thema:

1. How to speed up a VirtualBox Virtual Machine and make it run faster - Similar Threads - speed VirtualBox Virtual

2. How to make Windows 10 run faster

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to make Windows 10 run faster: After finally installing windows 10 on my 10 year old laptop, it was faster but on for a couple hours. After I started searching the web and light gaming, it started becoming slow again. I followed many steps by uninstalling unwanted files. I also put it on its best...
  3. How to make Windows 10 run faster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make Windows 10 run faster: After finally installing windows 10 on my 10 year old laptop, it was faster but on for a couple hours. After I started searching the web and light gaming, it started becoming slow again. I followed many steps by uninstalling unwanted files. I also put it on its best...
  4. How to make Windows 10 run faster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  6. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make my pc run faster?: My pc is extremely slow and blacks out many times during working hours.How to increase its processing speed and how to deal with black screen problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-pc-run-faster/0a2c10f5-98a6-4329-aa0e-ac936526f61a
  7. How to make my pc run faster?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How to speed up Edge and make it load faster

in Windows 10 News
    How to speed up Edge and make it load faster: [ATTACH]Microsoft Edge Chromium now offers a better experience than Google’s Chrome even though they […] This article How to speed up Edge and make it load faster first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine: Hi, I have created a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) on my Windows 10 Professional 10.0.17134.285 Surface Pro computer and would like to operate Windows 10 on that VM. (The purpose is to run Excel 64 bit within that machine. The physical machine is already running Excel...
  10. Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox: How to: Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox How to Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VirtualBox VirtualBox is a cross-platform virtualization application. What does that mean? For one thing, it installs on your existing Intel or AMD-based computers,...