Windows 10: How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler

Discus and support How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried several different techniques to start a ClickOnce application using Windows 10 Task Scheduler. None of them are satisfactory. For some of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BrooklynParkMikey, Mar 4, 2020.

1. How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler

I have tried several different techniques to start a ClickOnce application using Windows 10 Task Scheduler. None of them are satisfactory. For some of the attempts, the program doesn't seem to start There is no indication in Event Log or Task Schedule History that there was an error and the output file is not created. For other attempts, the program starts, creates the output file and then never terminates.

Windows 10 Version 1909 OS Build 18363.657

Here are the attempts that I made to discover a solution:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't work at all. Task Scheduler says it is running but it is not running. Program does not execute.

Program:
    cmd.exe

CommandLine:
    /c "C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Publisher Name\Suite Name\MyAppName.ms-appref"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't work at all. Task Scheduler says it is running but it is not running. Program does not execute.

Program:
    cmd.exe

Arguments:
    /c C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Publisher Name\Suite Name\MyAppName.ms-appref

Program runs and creates output file. In Task Manager, can see that it ran the correct version of the EXE. The EXE never terminates.

Program:
    rundll32.exe

Arguments:
    dfshim.dll,ShOpenVerbApplication https://mywebsite.com/ClickOnceDir/MyAppName/MyAppName.application

Program runs and creates output file. In Task Manager, can see that it ran the correct version of the EXE. The EXE never terminates.

Program:
    c:\bat\xxx.bat

Arguments:
    <No Arguments>

Contents of xxx.bat file:

REM Run the ClickOnce service DFSVC.EXE if is is not already running
    tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq dfsvc.exe" 2>NUL find /I "dfsvc.exe">NUL
    if errorlevel 1 start "" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\dfsvc.exe"
    REM Run the MyAppName ClickOnce application - Calendar icon should show for a moment in the task bar
    "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My Publisher Name\My App Directory\MyAppName.appref-ms"

The EXE never terminates. The program shows in Task Manager but doesn't create the output file. In Task Manager, it shows that C:\Windows\System32\OpenWith.exe was run with the parameter: ""C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Publisher Name\Suite Name\MyAppName.ms-appref""

Program:
    "C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Publisher Name\Suite Name\MyAppName.ms-appref"

Arguments:
    <No Arguments>

:)

BrooklynParkMikey, Mar 4, 2020

2. Task Scheduler service will not start.

Thank you for updating us. If Task Scheduler will not start, we suggest that you restart it. The service might be disabled that's why the task will not run. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot Task Scheduler.

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Services in the Start Search box.
    • Right-Click Services, and select Run as Administrator.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click
      Continue.
    • Right-click the Task Scheduler Service and select Restart.
    And have you tried running the System File Checker scan as an Administrator. For more information check this
    article. You can also perform DISM after performing SFC.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Task Scheduler service will not start.

ok, first, Restart is grayed out when i try to right click, only start is available. every time i select that i get the same "The Task Scheduler Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some
    services stop automatically if not in use by other services or programs" message.

already tried SFC before asking, did not work. tried DISM, and that solved nothing.

grimdragon2001, Mar 4, 2020
  4. 12Comp Win User

How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler

Change target program in Task Scheduler

It blows my mind to no end that MS has never made an easy to use task scheduler in Windows.

I went through the convoluted steps in Task Scheduler to start a program (a sound) at a certain time daily.

I would like (REALLY) to change that target program to start another program. I don't see an option to do that, or even to delete a task.

Any way to do this?

12Comp, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler

1. How to start ClickOne Program using Task Scheduler - Similar Threads - start ClickOne Program

2. How do I use Task Scheduler to start a program minimized?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use Task Scheduler to start a program minimized?: I'm trying to start CUPID HWMonitor to start minimized on login. I can start it minimized through the shortcut properties, and I can start it poped-up on login, but I can't get it to start minimized through Task Scheduler. Using /background or start/ min does not work either....
  3. How do I use Task Scheduler to start a program minimized?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I use Task Scheduler to start a program minimized?: I'm trying to start CUPID HWMonitor to start minimized on login. I can start it minimized through the shortcut properties, and I can start it poped-up on login, but I can't get it to start minimized through Task Scheduler. Using /background or start/ min does not work either....
  4. How do I use Task Scheduler to start a program minimized?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to have Task Scheduler start a program after another program is started

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to have Task Scheduler start a program after another program is started: Is there a way to have the task scheduler start a program after it has started a previous program?for instance, I'm running a dedicated DCS server on my computer and have setup the task scheduler to restart the computer everyday at 2 AM. I then have another task stating that...
  6. How to have Task Scheduler start a program after another program is started

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to have Task Scheduler start a program after another program is started: Is there a way to have the task scheduler start a program after it has started a previous program?for instance, I'm running a dedicated DCS server on my computer and have setup the task scheduler to restart the computer everyday at 2 AM. I then have another task stating that...
  7. How to have Task Scheduler start a program after another program is started

8. How to start ClickOnce Program using Task Scheduler

How to start ClickOnce Program using Task Scheduler: I have tried several different techniques to start a ClickOnce application using Windows 10 Task Scheduler. None of them are satisfactory. For some of the attempts, the program doesn't seem to start There is no indication in Event Log or Task Schedule History that there was...
  9. Start/stop a program in Task Scheduler

Start/stop a program in Task Scheduler: I want to launch a particular program after another program has loaded, and terminate that particular program after closing that other program. Any idea how this would work in Task Scheduler? Thank you....
  10. Task Scheduler: Start a Program with Office

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Task Scheduler: Start a Program with Office: Does anyone know how to have Task Scheduler start a program to run with the launch of ANY Office application? I have a registry edit which will enable the black theme in Office 2016. It needs to be run each time any Office app opens. I can do this on an individual basis, or...