Windows 10: How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

Discus and support How to stay activated with a new MB/processor. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, been using computers since the 60's. First was an IBM 7040 (serial #2). Lots of Burroughs, Honeywell, Sperry, IBM and a few other brands of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hoosier Daddy, Nov 25, 2019.

1. How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

Hi, been using computers since the 60's. First was an IBM 7040 (serial #2). Lots of Burroughs, Honeywell, Sperry, IBM and a few other brands of mainframes over the years. Multiple brands of mini-computers. My first home PC was an IBM AT with EGA graphics; it was the first AT sold in AZ to a private party. IIRC it cost ~$5k 1984 dollars which comes to over $12k in 2019 dollars. I started building PCs shortly afterwards for myself, family and friends. Most of them I showed how so they could take a shot the next time they needed one.

I'm in the process of building a better box for my home office. The current one has an i5-4670K. New one an i5-9600K.

I'm hoping I won't have problems activating my Windows 10 Pro on the new machine. The current machine started with a full retail Windows 7 Pro. When was updated to Windows 8 which was later updated to Windows 10.

In theory, I shouldn't have a problem if those updates retain the full version-ness along the way. But at this point in time, I doubt I can find the original Windows 7 Pro key.

So looking for advice on how to make the switch without the Win7 key. If I don't hear better ideas, I'll just move the C drive from old to new PC and fire it up and see what happens. If it boots (which I expect it will) and activates, I'll do a clean install of 10 Pro to make sure there isn't too much conflict with the HAL and other aspects. I haven't done a clean install of Win 10 ever and is long overdue anyway. I understand doing a clean install of Windows retains activation if its done over an exiting activated install of the same Windows version.

:)

Hoosier Daddy, Nov 25, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

btarunr, Nov 25, 2019
  3. how to activated all the processors.

Hi,

Thank you for posting. From your issue description, I understand that you want to activate 8 cores in the CPU.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

1. are you running 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

Check if you can enable all the processors from advanced boot menu.

Press Windows Key + x from the keyboard->type msconfig->Click on Boot->Advanced Options->Check on Number of Processors->Now select the Processor that you want to activate->Click on Apply->OK.

You can now restart the computer and check.

If the above step fails, I suggest you to check in the BIOS options to see if you can enable 8 cores.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If nothing works I request you to get in touch with the hardware manufacturer. The processor cores activation should be under the hardware manufacturer's support.

Hope this will be helpful. Incase if you still have further queries please reply with more details and we will be happy to help you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Nov 25, 2019
  4. CountMike Win User

How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

Changed MB, 10565 no more actvated.

Not all of that.
    Installed new MB.
    One SSD has 10565 on it, didn't do anything to it, old installation that was on previous MB. It was never upgraded from 8.1 just had perpetual upgrade since beginning of insider program. Last clean install was 10240 with all of the others in between.
    Second SSD has 10240 upgraded from 8.1, that one stayed activated, didn't have anything to do to activate.

CountMike, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

1. How to stay activated with a new MB/processor. - Similar Threads - stay activated processor

2. windows activation problem on mb changed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation problem on mb changed: I've recently changed my motherboard and i can't activate windows 10 anymore, the error is 0x803fa067. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-problem-on-mb-changed/dfe92ea2-fce0-42e9-b3d7-3862c79853b4
  3. windows activation problem on mb changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows activation problem on mb changed: I've recently changed my motherboard and i can't activate windows 10 anymore, the error is 0x803fa067. What should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-problem-on-mb-changed/dfe92ea2-fce0-42e9-b3d7-3862c79853b4
  4. windows activation problem on mb changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing MB Activation Question

Changing MB Activation Question: I am running Win 10 home on my PC and intend to change out the MB to update the system. What is the most reliable sequence to reinstall Win 10 on the new board so that I can successfully reactivate the installation with my existing license key. I ran slmgr -dli from the cmd...
  6. My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB

My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB: I had well, still have I guess an i7-980 with two SATA HDD and Win 10 Pro 2004 10.0.19042.867. The Windows version has been upgraded all the way from Win7 when it was new. I wanted to switch to an SSD, and originally planned to get a a SATA SSD. Instead, I found a deal on an...
  7. New Processor installed, Windows won't activate

New Processor installed, Windows won't activate: I bought a Windows 10 Pro product key back in July 2020, used it on my new PC and all was working until yesterday 28th Feb when I installed my new Ryzen 5600x and now windows has deactivated itself. I have gone through the settings page to activation, it says windows could...
  8. Changed MB and Windows not activated

Changed MB and Windows not activated: I recently changed my motherboard and windows was no longer activated. I purchased an upgrade to Win 7 Pro in 2013 then did a free upgrade to Win pro 10. It has worked fine for several years till the MB change. I've tried to reactivate but no record of purchase in my MS...
  9. Activating Microsoft Account to new MB. Will this be a problem?

Activating Microsoft Account to new MB. Will this be a problem?: I believe I can transfer to a new motherboard, RAM & GPU & activate my original Microsoft Account because I have a digital license as stated below. Am I correct? Just want to be sure! Thanks [img] 87856
  10. Moving Activation to a new MB

Moving Activation to a new MB: I am a developer who does work for the VA and a DoD contractor. I am under orders to change-out my Intel MB for an AMD Threadripper one. I don't make the rules - I just have to follow them. I am on W10 Pro x64... How do I move my license from my existing MSI MB and...