Windows 10: How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?

Discus and support How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I use Google Drive File Stream to access my Google Drive content locally. GDFS mounts a cloud drive, assigning it a letter (G: in my case). If you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lasher, Jun 6, 2019.

1. lasher Win User

How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?

Hi! I use Google Drive File Stream to access my Google Drive content locally.

GDFS mounts a cloud drive, assigning it a letter (G: in my case). If you open that, you find a single entry "My Drive". As such, I have a Quick access shortcut to this "My Drive folder".

GDFS insists, periodically, in adding a shortcut in Quick Access to G: (which makes zero sense, considering you already have one under "This PC").

Is there a way to stop it from doing so? I have tried assigning read-only permissions to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Ribbon for every account except the one I sign in as. This includes, administrators, system, everything. Only my account () has full control, all others are read only. Nonetheless, the shortcut reappears periodically.

:)

lasher, Jun 6, 2019

2. Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in Quick Access

Just got upgraded to Win10 PRO from Win7 PRO at work. I work for an Architect where there are multiple projects where primary folder is unique, and there is a subfolder I need to open up within each projects. The subfolder for each project is labelled 'Specs'.
    In Windows 7 I could create a shortcut to each 'Specs' folder, and then customize the name for the shortcut, and drag it into Favorites (now called Quick Access in Windows 10) in File Explorer. I have to access the files in these folders on and off over the
    course of many months. Not always every one on every day. I'm not sure the 'Pick up where you left off' feature is going to be very useful as a workaround.

In Windows 10 dragging a shortcut into Quick access is not allowed. WHY ON EARTH WAS THIS FEATURE REMOVED?

If I try to use the Pin to Quick access feature, I end up with 12 folders that are all labelled 'Specs', and there is no opportunity to create an alias for the folder name. If I go into the Properties for these pinned items it will rename the actual folder
    name, which is NOT good, as we are a department of 50 employees and the folder name 'Specs' must remain as is within each folder structure. If I could create an Alias for each entry in the Quick access list that only applies to my view, that would be an acceptable
    alternative to not being able to use shortcuts in Quick access.

I am really surprised and disheartened that Microsoft has removed a really useful feature! Any suggestions appreciated.

CR Vandecar, Jun 6, 2019
  4. How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?

update about Quick Access not responding

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you try to follow the steps provided below:

• Disable Quick Access.
    • Re-enable Quick Access.
    • Restart your computer, and see if it helps.

• For you to customize the Quick Access Toolbar, click
      here.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marivel Man, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?

1. How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut? - Similar Threads - stop program adding

2. How to stop folders from automatically adding into Quick access please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop folders from automatically adding into Quick access please?: There is no goddamned "view ribbon". So please don't tell me to go there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-folders-from-automatically-adding-into/7738f993-2e8c-46a3-a9a0-bbb6dcfaee47
  3. How to stop folders from automatically adding into Quick access please?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop folders from automatically adding into Quick access please?: There is no goddamned "view ribbon". So please don't tell me to go there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-folders-from-automatically-adding-into/7738f993-2e8c-46a3-a9a0-bbb6dcfaee47
  4. How to recover the shortcut pace in quick access Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover the shortcut pace in quick access Explorer.: I have check in a file in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent folder, but there is no Recent folder, only an empty Recent Items folder. I searched C:\ for that named file AutomaticDestinations, but it is nowhere to be found, nor is it listed in the...
  5. How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop a program from adding a Quick access shortcut?: Hi! I use Google Drive File Stream to access my Google Drive content locally. GDFS mounts a cloud drive, assigning it a letter (G: in my case). If you open that, you find a single entry "My Drive". As such, I have a Quick access shortcut to this "My Drive folder". GDFS...
  6. Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in...: Just got upgraded to Win10 PRO from Win7 PRO at work. I work for an Architect where there are multiple projects where primary folder is unique, and there is a subfolder I need to open up within each projects. The subfolder for each project is labelled 'Specs'. In Windows 7 I...
  7. Duplicated Quick Access Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Quick Access Shortcut: I started having a problem with a shorcut of an app I uninstalled, I tried so restore the original using New Context Menu - Remove & Restore Default Menu Items - Windows 7 Help Forums but everything got ruined, now some shorcuts are duplicated, without name, and can't be...
  8. Adding programs/commands to quick launch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding programs/commands to quick launch: So I've got my Windows 10 looking like my Windows 7 now with a quick launch on the left side like I like it, but I want to add a couple more things to the quick launch. One is a button to do what Windows-Tab does in Windows 10. Sometimes I'm just clicking around the screen...
  9. How to increase number of items/shortcuts in quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    How to increase number of items/shortcuts in quick access: By default, quick access only shows the most recent 20 files opened, but I have a 4k monitor and can fit a lot more than that on the screen, so was just wondering if there would be a way to choose a custom number, say, 60 recent items or even 100? 79173
  10. How Do I Stop Quick Access From Automatically Adding Links?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Stop Quick Access From Automatically Adding Links?: In Windows/Files Explorer the Quick Access menu, which I have set to open when WE is started, is placing links to folders automatically that I have recently been accessed. I don't want it to do this. I want it organized just like you don't have a link to every website you go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop the shortcut program