Windows 10: How to stop audio devices changing

Discus and support How to stop audio devices changing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there a way to disable the behaviour of Windows altering what your "default" device is whenever you plug in a new one? If not then what is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gypsy King, Oct 6, 2020.

1. How to stop audio devices changing

Is there a way to disable the behaviour of Windows altering what your "default" device is whenever you plug in a new one? If not then what is the actual functionality of the default besides being the currently selected device?

Every time I plug in a controller or a webcam win10 will wreck all my audio settings by changing these devices to be my new default. Can we get an option to lock our settings so they don't get changed on a whim??

Gonna cut you off before you reply: Audio drivers are fine. I know how to set a default device already. I just need it to stop automatically changing the newest source to the default one, because very rarely are these devices even audio devices to begin with.

:)

Gypsy King, Oct 6, 2020

2. Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As the above description is not clear, do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the exactly issue you are facing with audio and how exactly are you trying to access it?
    • What exactly do you mean by: Have windows 10, and suddenly my audio stopped?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system, prior to this issue?

I suggest you to install all the pending updates and audio drivers and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the audio drivers from Device Manager and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start
      button from the desktop and select Device Manager.

• Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Update driver software.

• Also, try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 6, 2020
  3. Audio device issue

Hi Venu,

Incompatible audio device drivers are known to operate against the method that Windows 10 follows. First, uninstall the audio driver, then follow these steps to resolve the issue:

• Right-click on the name of your PC at the top of the list of devices in
      Device Manager
    • Select Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the device driver, or download and install the latest version from the manufacturer’s website.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Oct 6, 2020
  4. How to stop audio devices changing

No Audio Output Device is Installed

Hi,

You will need to select Windows 8 from the drop down list while installing the driver in compatibility mode.

I would suggest you to try setting the speaker as default audio output by following the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the sound icon on the right bottom corner of the taskbar.

2. Select "playback devices".

3. If "speaker" is not set as the default device, highlight it and click "set as default".

5. Save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

How to stop audio devices changing

1. How to stop audio devices changing - Similar Threads - stop audio devices

2. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select an audio device as the default audio device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to...
  3. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  4. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  5. Change audio device type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change audio device type: Hi, My mic stops working whenever I plug in my earphones.I suspect it's because the device is being recognized as a headset with its own separate mic. I've tried searching other threads for how to change the audio device type but to no avail. Could somebody help me with this?...
  6. Change audio device type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change audio device type: Hi, My mic stops working whenever I plug in my earphones.I suspect it's because the device is being recognized as a headset with its own separate mic. I've tried searching other threads for how to change the audio device type but to no avail. Could somebody help me with this?...
  7. Stop Windows 10 fromn Auto-changing Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Windows 10 fromn Auto-changing Audio Devices: Hey Microsoft! It's been a couple years and people are still asking for this! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-stop-windows-from-automatically-switching/b6b7c197-3391-440b-ab02-018e51234583...
  8. How to stop windows 10 from automatically changing audio device?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows 10 from automatically changing audio device?: Whenever I turn on my Xbox 360 controller it temporarily changes my audio device to "Headset Earphone (XBOX_360_DEVICE_00:01)," even though I don't have a headset attached to my controller. If possible, I would like to disable this function. submitted by /u/Fatman4lyfe...
  9. Stop Win 10 changing default audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop Win 10 changing default audio device: Hi I have a Win 10 Pro PC with multiple audio devices, many are USB audio devices. Every time I connect a USB audio device to the PC it becomes the default audio recording and playback device - I would like to change this behaviour so that the motherboard audio device is...
  10. How to mute audio when changing device?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to mute audio when changing device?: Hi, I've got a Windows 10 laptop, with a Thunderbolt docking station, with a USB speaker phone plugged in. Whenever I dock or un-dock, the I have to mute the audio again, which is frustrating. Otherwise I get the "new hardware" beeping for the various USB devices plugged...