Windows 10: How to STOP Auto Login of last user

Discus and support How to STOP Auto Login of last user in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I force Windows 10 to display a list of users instead of automatically logging to the last used account? I have seen "fixes" posted for Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by StuartLipsey, May 31, 2019.

1. How to STOP Auto Login of last user

How do I force Windows 10 to display a list of users instead of automatically logging to the last used account? I have seen "fixes" posted for Windows 8, but I have also seen lots of comments that these fixes won't work in Windows 10. I'm looking for a reliable fix for this.

I have 2 PCs and I will not upgrade my primary PC until this problem is fixed. And no, Microsoft, this is NOT a feature - it is a bug! How to STOP Auto Login of last user b71652a8-72dc-4e70-8d5a-eac7a1006c79?upload=true.png

:)

StuartLipsey, May 31, 2019

2. Turn off auto-login?

To stop the automatic log-in, please follow the
    auto-login to windows steps listed here
    , except when you get to the point to automatically login, check the box instead. That'll turn it off.

If you want to remove the extra account, you can also do that using the same steps (just click the "remove" button).

And finally, if you want to go back to Windows 8.1, get the Windows 8.1 install files

here

PS. You cannot ever delete the account with the actual name of "administrator" or you will ruin your computer.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 31, 2019
  3. Stop auto login to last user

Similar to:

Windows 8: how to stop auto login

But for Windows 10. I have my own password protected user account, but my wife doesn't have a password on her's. So whenever I turn on the computer when she was the last one to use it, it automatically boots straight into her account, requiring me to sign out and then sign in with my account. This wasn't a problem with Windows 7 (that I just upgraded from), so is there a reliable way to stop Windows 10 from doing this? It's very annoying.

Edit: for the regular home edition of Windows 10. The accepted answer for the proposed dupe is for pro and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't have group policies on the home edition. The other answer basically amounts to forcing all users to have passwords, which I'd prefer not to do.

Matt Burland, May 31, 2019
  4. How to STOP Auto Login of last user

How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I apologies for the delay in response. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to check and verify if you have checked the correct option under correct user in netplwiz. Follow the below given steps and check if issue is resolved:

• Press Windows key + R to open Run.
    • Type netplwiz into the Run bar and hit Enter.
    • Select the User account you are using under the User tab.
    • Check by clicking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox and click on
      Apply.
    • Sign-out and sign-in again to check if issue persist.

Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, May 31, 2019
Thema:

How to STOP Auto Login of last user

1. How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Similar Threads - STOP Auto Login

2. How to STOP Auto Login of last user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to STOP Auto Login of last user?: The same as How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The issue still exists on Windows 11 v22H2! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-auto-login-of-last-user/4e72f814-315b-415b-bac7-715d2a1a0e10
  3. How to STOP Auto Login of last user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to STOP Auto Login of last user?: The same as How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The issue still exists on Windows 11 v22H2! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-auto-login-of-last-user/4e72f814-315b-415b-bac7-715d2a1a0e10
  4. [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User Without Password in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User Without Password in Windows 10: For those having the same problem as this post, I have created a simple batch script to automatically edit the registry and its permissions to bring back the ability to choose a user upon startup, so you don't have to manually go to regedit and do the changes.For those who...
  5. [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10: For those having the same problem as this post, I have created a simple batch script to automatically edit the registry and its permissions to bring back the ability to choose a user upon startup, so you don't have to manually go to regedit and do the changes.For those who...
  6. [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10: For those having the same problem as this post, I have created a simple batch script to automatically edit the registry and its permissions to bring back the ability to choose a user upon startup, so you don't have to manually go to regedit and do the changes.For those who...
  7. [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10: For those having the same problem as this post, I have created a simple batch script to automatically edit the registry and its permissions to bring back the ability to choose a user upon startup.For those who want to try, feedback would be great for me to see if my solution...
  8. How To Disable Auto Login Last User/Black Screen At Boot???

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How To Disable Auto Login Last User/Black Screen At Boot???: Alright so for some reason ever since I've "upgraded" to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 I've been having numerous issues with my computer taking a very long time to boot and I've noticed it is logging me in sometimes without asking me for my password at boot. I really want to...
  9. Auto login then switch user

Auto login then switch user: Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would...
  10. v1607: Can't disable last user auto login

v1607: Can't disable last user auto login: Before v1607, I used the gpedit logon script to disable the automatic login of non-passworded accounts. It's been fine for all the time I've been with Win10 since release. Specifically: Code: Name: C:\Windows\System32\reg.exe Parem: ADD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disable last user auto-login