Windows 10: How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast?

Discus and support How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 1 TB of storage on my HD D-drive, and only 130 GB on my C-drive. I've changed all the settings I could to have all downloads go to my D-drive to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by evasaurus, Jul 26, 2019.

1. evasaurus Win User

How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast?

I have 1 TB of storage on my HD D-drive, and only 130 GB on my C-drive. I've changed all the settings I could to have all downloads go to my D-drive to prevent the C-drive from filling up, but it keeps filling up. I bought this computer in hopes that I could use the terabyte of storage, I didn't want to have to buy an external hard-drive. Is there any way to fix this? The only way I've "fixed" this in the past is resetting my computer to its factory settings (I know).

Some background information: I run some heavy programs on here, like Photoshop and another drawing program (as I'm an illustrator), but those program files are in my D-Drive. I'm aware that part of that download will inevitably end up in the C-Drive; does that mean the TB of storage I have is pretty much worthless?

:)

evasaurus, Jul 26, 2019
  2. busreilly Win User

C Drive Keeps Filling Up

Thanks. Extremely interesting article. I followed the steps as outlined, but when I was as the step to Stop the Windows Modules Installer Service, it was already stopped. So I was not quite sure how to proceed, so I abandoned the process. Since I had
    already manually deleted most of the cab files, I now have 190 GB free space. I will closely monitor the free space to see how quickly it fills up, and if it fills up as quickly as the article suggests might happen, I will try again to follow the instructions
    to see if I can get it to work. With the service already stopped, and set to Manual, if I get to that point again, do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks again for this very insightful article -- it sure explains a lot.

busreilly, Jul 26, 2019
  3. c drive filling up

I am getting a problem. I am downloading a big 55 gb iso file in other drive except C but C drive is filling up. Why? and what is the solution?

AsaduzzamanAsad, Jul 26, 2019
  4. How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast?

c drive filling up

When you download from the Internet, the file you are downloading is placed in a cache that is on the C drive, usually the Temporary Internet Files folder. Once the file is completely downloaded, the "Save as" option in the browser will then move it to
    another location that you specify. That's why, during the download, the C drive fills: that's where the temporary files reside.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast?

1. How to stop C-Drive from filling up so fast? - Similar Threads - stop Drive filling

2. How to stop C Drive fill up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop C Drive fill up?: C Drive keeps filling up. At this point I don't care for the extra space I just want to stop it from filling up. Anyone actually have a fix instead of just how to free up space?...
  3. How to stop C Drive fill up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop C Drive fill up?: C Drive keeps filling up. At this point I don't care for the extra space I just want to stop it from filling up. Anyone actually have a fix instead of just how to free up space?...
  4. How to stop C Drive fill up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP

My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP: Hi!I've already posted about this, but didn't get a follow up Issue: My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to...
  6. My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP: Hi!I've already posted about this, but didn't get a follow up Issue: My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to...
  7. C: Drive Filling Up Fast!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: Drive Filling Up Fast!: Hi!My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to C:5 Deleting softwareBut still within a month, or two C: fills up. I...
  8. C: Drive Filling Up Fast!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: Drive Filling Up Fast!: Hi!My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to C:5 Deleting softwareBut still within a month, or two C: fills up. I...
  9. C: Drive Filling Up Fast!

10. C:\ Drive fills up fast due to a large game.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ Drive fills up fast due to a large game.: So I recently downloaded NV3 Games' Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Platinum Edition. When it asked where I wanted to install, I asked to install it into my D:\ drive, or my HDD because it has more space. Somehow, its on my C:\ drive, and eating up storage fast! Is it possible...