Windows 10: How to stop chkdsk on an external drive?

Discus and support How to stop chkdsk on an external drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Up front: I was wrong to start a chkdsk on an large external drive. Reason was/is, I could not delete an empty folder and some site recommended run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, May 18, 2019.

1. tfwul Win User

How to stop chkdsk on an external drive?

Up front: I was wrong to start a chkdsk on an large external drive. Reason was/is, I could not delete an empty folder and some site recommended run chkdsk.

Assuming it would be over and done with, within -say- an hour or so I started it. Much to my regret.
    It is says it'll take more than a day now.

Any suggestions as to how to safely stop it.
    Some say that probably only a few files might be ruined. It is no problem because I have copies of all files on different other drives, restoring wouldn't be too much problem.

But if the entire drive is completely ruined...

Is there a way to safely stop it, with a minimum on damaged files then?

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, May 18, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 18, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 18, 2019
  4. How to stop chkdsk on an external drive?

Toshiba External Drive wont respond even though it connects

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us with the information.

Let’s check if this is an issue with external drive. I would suggest you to connect the external drive in different computer and check if you are able to open the drive.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, May 18, 2019
Thema:

How to stop chkdsk on an external drive?

1. How to stop chkdsk on an external drive? - Similar Threads - stop chkdsk external

2. External Hard Drive Stops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stops: All USB ports of the laptop stops the External Hard Drive, even connected to any port it's the same. The delay before it stops is about 30 seconds.How to extend the delay before shutdown, or disable automatic shutdown ?...
  3. External Hard Drive Stops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Stops: All USB ports of the laptop stops the External Hard Drive, even connected to any port it's the same. The delay before it stops is about 30 seconds.How to extend the delay before shutdown, or disable automatic shutdown ?...
  4. External Hard Drive Stops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Chkdsk on External Drive Windows 11 Pro x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk on External Drive Windows 11 Pro x64: Hello AllBeen getting the following message Fatal Hardware Error--when using my WD Passport Red drive, it gets stuck at 90 percent with WD Drive Utilies complete scan, so i decided to run chkdsk on it, unforuately though says 50 hours til completeIs it safe to continue using...
  6. Chkdsk on External Drive Windows 11 Pro x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk on External Drive Windows 11 Pro x64: Hello AllBeen getting the following message Fatal Hardware Error--when using my WD Passport Red drive, it gets stuck at 90 percent with WD Drive Utilies complete scan, so i decided to run chkdsk on it, unforuately though says 50 hours til completeIs it safe to continue using...
  7. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  8. How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive: Dear TenForums, I have been unable to access my external harddrive for some time, why I chose to run CHKDSK /f. Unfortunately, I believe that the drive is fully corrupted since the check has now lasted 24 hours and is only at 2 percent (Please see screen dump from promt). I...
  9. CHKDSK problem HDD Extern

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK problem HDD Extern: Hy there, My name is Alex and i'm new from this forum but i like more. My problem is: I try scan my HDD extern with chkdsk on command, i wait 1 day and after i try something command's for stop process. After this i have this msg: [ATTACH] My command first: chkdsk e: /f /r...
  10. CHKDSK problem HDD Extern

in Windows 10 Support
    CHKDSK problem HDD Extern: Hy there, My name is Alex and i'm new from this forum but i like more. My problem is: I try scan my HDD extern with chkdsk on command, i wait 1 day and after i try something command's for stop process. After this i have this msg: [img] My command first: chkdsk e: /f /r /x...