Windows 10: How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers

Discus and support How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I disagree. I just got a Surface Pro and the desktop is synced with the one on me office PC. I don't want it to. How can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DJ-61, May 17, 2019.

1. DJ-61 Win User

How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers

Split from this thread.​

I disagree. I just got a Surface Pro and the desktop is synced with the one on me office PC. I don't want it to. How can I make it stop???

For instance, I want different shortcuts on the surface than on the desktop, but if I add or delete anything on either it does the same on the other. NOT what I want.

Help!

Thanks,

Dean

:)

DJ-61, May 17, 2019

2. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 17, 2019
  3. Rule-R Win User
    Desktop shortcuts disappearing

One of the computers i maintain has a few of the desktop shortcuts disappearing now and then. It runs windows 7, and has a shitload of shortcuts on the desktop.

Any idea what might cause this?

Rule-R, May 17, 2019
  4. How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 17, 2019
Thema:

How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers

1. How to stop desktop shortcuts for apps and files from syncing across two computers - Similar Threads - stop desktop shortcuts

2. Stop time sync across installs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop time sync across installs: I have two separate installs of windows 10 on the same PC. I need one to work as a normal but the other I need to have at a different time/date permanently. When I this was dedicated PC for the different date version I had no issues but now with dual installs after restarts...
  3. Stop time sync across installs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop time sync across installs: I have two separate installs of windows 10 on the same PC. I need one to work as a normal but the other I need to have at a different time/date permanently. When I this was dedicated PC for the different date version I had no issues but now with dual installs after restarts...
  4. How Do I stop My desktop from syncing across devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I stop My desktop from syncing across devices?: I currently have two devices, a desktop I use for gaming and a laptop I use when traveling. I'd like to not have my gaming shortcuts show up on the desktop of my laptop. I went to Settings > Account > Sync Your Settings turned the "Sync Settings" option off. However, when I...
  5. How Do I stop My desktop from syncing across devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I stop My desktop from syncing across devices?: I currently have two devices, a desktop I use for gaming and a laptop I use when traveling. I'd like to not have my gaming shortcuts show up on the desktop of my laptop. I went to Settings > Account > Sync Your Settings turned the "Sync Settings" option off. However, when I...
  6. How Do I stop My desktop from syncing across devices?

7. Syncing across two MS accounts?

Syncing across two MS accounts?: HiI seem to have this situation. I've got Collections on my personal MS account - but they're all my business-related items, not my personal ones. I've got a different set of Collections on my work MS365 Business account - but they're all personal items that should be on the...
  8. Stop OneDrive from trying to sync two shortcuts

Stop OneDrive from trying to sync two shortcuts: Hi, Somehow I did something to make OneDrive think I wanted it to sync my Chrome and Adobe Reader shortcuts from my desktop to my OneDrive site. It caused a sync error as you cannot do this. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to tell OneDrive to forget trying to sync...
  9. How to sync files between two computers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to sync files between two computers?: Please recommend in-built options available in Windows 10 that I can use to sync files between two PCs through a network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sync-files-between-two-computers/9ca54b38-cfc2-476d-9559-2675dfd682c4
  10. Wallpaper not syncing across computers

Wallpaper not syncing across computers: Hi, I have a weird problem. I log into my laptop and PC with the same MS account and have sync everything ticked on both computers. So, in theory, the theme should sync between them, correct? Well, I use the folder C:\Users\username\Pictures\Wallpapers to store over 300...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i stop desktop shortcuts syncing between pcs