Windows 10: How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?

Discus and support How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro v 1909 (OS Build 18363.693) on a home-built desktop. Something changed recently -- probably a Windows update --... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thenin, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Thenin Win User

How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro v 1909 (OS Build 18363.693) on a home-built desktop.

Something changed recently -- probably a Windows update -- that's annoying the hell out of me. Here's the situation: I much prefer to work on my machine offline just as much as possible. I used to simply block my firewall, but I've seen suspicious network activity even then, so in the last couple of years I've written and very frequently used two AutoIt scripts to block/unblock the firewall as well as enable/disable the Ethernet adapter (there's no wireless adapter on this box).

This has worked perfectly until the last couple of weeks. Now, every time I enable Ethernet, I get a very annoying popup window asking me if I want to make my machine discoverable on the network. Of course I do! And I've always, always enabled private network discovery and always disabled public discovery. It's never asked this question before, so why is it asking me now? And is it asking about private or public discoverability, or both? Finally, how can I stop Windows from endlessly asking this stupid question and just go with the settings I have?

Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Jun 8, 2020

2. Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

My desktop machine keeps waking itself up from hibernation, usually during the night, despite my having taken all reasonable steps to stop it. I have:
    • disabled waking on network, mouse and RTC in BIOS setup
    • disabled wake on mouse and network in device manager (and checked with powercfg -devicequery wake_armed)
    • disabled "allow wake timers" for all power plans
    It doesn't however wake itself up from S5 (shutdown). I also tried leaving it in S3 sleep for over 24 hours and it didn't wake up, although that's not long enough to be certain that it never would.

Unfortunately my records in Event Viewer only go back a bit over a week to my upgrade to Windows 10, but I did notice a pattern in the first few days of waking at around 00:17 or 00:18 in the morning. Event Viewer suggested that this was due to mcupdate_scheduler, which was scheduled to run at 00:19, so I changed the trigger (following some instructions from Microsoft), but the next night the machine woke earlier, at 23:45. Unfortunately event viewer had no idea what caused that particular event. And today I have just run powercfg -waketimer and apparently there is a task \blah\blah\updateorchestrator\reboot which requires waking the machine just after 02:00 tomorrow morning. Clearly trying to change each individual trigger is a hopeless game of whack-a-mole which will sooner or later result in my wrecking something. How on earth can I stop my machine waking up?

ricecrispies, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    BSOD when launching Virtual Machine

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. I understand how difficult it could be when the computer doesn’t work as it is supposed to, we will look into this for you. Please reply with the following details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting
    steps:

• Which application are you using to create Virtual Machine?
    • Does the issue occur only when launching a Virtual Machine?
    • Have you reinstalled Windows on the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I have analyzed the dump files shared by you. Since the issue occurs when you launch Virtual Machine, I suggest you to try disabling the VMWare USB Arbitration Service and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type services.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Look for the VMWare USB Arbitration Service and double click on it to open
      Properties.
    4. Select Disabled from the drop down for
      Startup and Stop the service.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 8, 2020
  4. How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?

Printing stopped with November upgrade

Hey Prestonpdx,

I would suggest you check if the print spooler is running. Start/Stop print spooler service. Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + R, type services.msc
      and press Enter.

• From the list, locate Print Spooler service.

• Double click on the service and select Stop.

• Restart the computer, repeat step 1&2.

• Double click on the service and check if the service is started.
    Get back to us with the updated status, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?

1. How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"? - Similar Threads - stop machine discoverable

2. How do you stop your Xbox app on your pc to stop automatically signing u in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you stop your Xbox app on your pc to stop automatically signing u in: I tried to look it up on YouTube doesn’t work so I almost gave up so I went to Microsoft egea and still dosent work I did everything it told me but at this point I just don’t know what to do pls contect me and tell me what wrong...
  3. How do you stop your Xbox app on your pc to stop automatically signing u in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you stop your Xbox app on your pc to stop automatically signing u in: I tried to look it up on YouTube doesn’t work so I almost gave up so I went to Microsoft egea and still dosent work I did everything it told me but at this point I just don’t know what to do pls contect me and tell me what wrong...
  4. Your Phone: How can I stop the constant "Do you still want to make calls on this PC?"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone: How can I stop the constant "Do you still want to make calls on this PC?"...: I generally like the Your Phone app, but multiple times a day it will pop up a notification asking "Do you still want to make calls on this PC?" even though I've not changed any settings in the desktop or phone app. If I click Yes it disappears temporarily, but will then pop...
  5. How do you create a system back up on your machine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you create a system back up on your machine?: I am wondering if there is a way to back up my entire OS to an external hard drive, much like Apple's Time Machine. I want something that if, Worst case Scenario, something happens to my computer and I can't even start it up, that I can restore it with all my settings and...
  6. Do you want this app to make changes to your device?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Do you want this app to make changes to your device?: I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader yesterday. Now, whenever I open a pdf file, I get the following message for Adobe Acrobat: "Do you want this app to make changes to your device?" This never happened before- why is this happening now, and how do I make this...
  7. How do you stop a loop?

in Cortana
    How do you stop a loop?: On my Lenovo tablet, Cortana keeps asking me to say various things over and over. I cannot shut off the tablet. I have been waiting for my battery to run out and then maybe Cortana will get lost. I have the circle on the upper left corner and then what I am supposed to...
  8. How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This"

in Browsers and Email
    How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This": I have Win10Pro (upgraded in place from Win8.1Pro) and every time I click on a link in an email, I get the "How Do You Want To Open This" dialog box. I always click on Internet Explorer and I always check the box "Always use this app" but I still get this dialog popping up...
  9. Stop asking How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop asking How do you want to open this file: This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK. These are...
  10. How to remove "do you want your PC to be discoverable" message?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to remove "do you want your PC to be discoverable" message?: When you first complete the OOBE wizard and get into your desktop, a message appears about the network: "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" Does anyone know a way to make this not appear at all? It can be confusing...