Windows 10: How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc)

Discus and support How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I switched back to Windows from about a decade in OS X recently and the transition has been fine except for one annoyance: I do work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/r2builder, Nov 18, 2020.

1. How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc)

Hello everybody, I switched back to Windows from about a decade in OS X recently and the transition has been fine except for one annoyance:

I do work where people send me jobs. Sometimes it's a folder with files inside, sometimes it's just one file. On OS X, I'd put all these submissions into one main folder for the day, arrange the jobs by the time they were added to that folder, and I work my way down from oldest job to newest.

The problem is that in Windows, all the jobs that have been submitted as folders (multiple files) will ALWAYS appear at the top of the Explorer window, no matter how I tell it to arrange, sort etc. The result is always:

JOB A (folder)

JOB D (folder)

JOB H (folder)

JOB Z (folder)

JOB B (file)

JOB E (file)

JOB F (file)

How do I tell windows that I don't care if it's a folder or not, to just arrange the contents of my daily folder by date added, rather than arranging by date added but with folders clustered together at the top?

I promise I've done extensive Googling, and yet the problem persists.

Thanks for any help.

submitted by /u/r2builder
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/r2builder, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Perform Upgrade of Windows Cluster & SQL Cluster from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

I am looking to perform Upgrade of Windows cluster on which SQL cluster is running 2008 R2 and i have to upgrade the OS to 2012 R2.

Please can some one suggest or share some step by step guide which i can refer.

Thanks in Advance!!

Kumar

NiteshKumar10, Nov 18, 2020
  4. ineuw Win User

How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc)

How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial

The delay to reply was unrelated to this topic. I was preparing to add a disc drive. The preferred view is working now, and here is the step by step list of what I did, and it includes an additional step at the end. I also rebooted after each step.

1. Reset all views to default.
    2. Rebooted.
    3. Changed the "My Pc" view to Details and set the "Group By" to [None]. But left everything else at default.
    4. Rebooted.
    5. "My Pc" view retained the selected setting, alphabetically ordered "Details" without grouping.
    6. Switched to Drive C:\, set it to "Details" and changed the column order to "Name, Size Type and Date". Grouping is available but not applied by the default settings.
    7. Rebooted.
    8. "My Pc" lost the settings, reverted to "Tile" and "Group by" was active again.
    9. Reconfigured to "Details" and set the "Group By" to [None].
    10. Rebooted.
    11. "My Pc" view retained the selected settings. Alphabetically ordered "Details" without grouping.

ineuw, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc)

1. How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc) - Similar Threads - stop Explorer clustering

2. Windows Explorer - How to disable Group By, or set to None, on all folders permanently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer - How to disable Group By, or set to None, on all folders permanently: I am having trouble with the Group By feature in Windows Explorer.I desire to not have the Group By option selected.I have followed instructions to change this in the folder options, but the Group By options keeps turning back on at a later time.Last post I read had links to...
  3. Windows Explorer - How to disable Group By, or set to None, on all folders permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - How to disable Group By, or set to None, on all folders permanently: I am having trouble with the Group By feature in Windows Explorer.I desire to not have the Group By option selected.I have followed instructions to change this in the folder options, but the Group By options keeps turning back on at a later time.Last post I read had links to...
  4. Windows 11 New Explorer - How To Disable Age Groupings Today, Last Week, Etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 New Explorer - How To Disable Age Groupings Today, Last Week, Etc.: What happened in Explorer for Windows 11 to the way to lose the age grouping sortings today, last week, earlier this year, etc. in search results in Windows Explorer? There are a number of solutions to this problem for Windows 10, but it seems like the new streamlined options...
  5. Windows 11 New Explorer - How To Disable Age Groupings Today, Last Week, Etc.

Windows 11 New Explorer - How To Disable Age Groupings Today, Last Week, Etc.: What happened in Explorer for Windows 11 to the way to lose the age grouping sortings today, last week, earlier this year, etc. in search results in Windows Explorer? There are a number of solutions to this problem for Windows 10, but it seems like the new streamlined options...
  6. Save As - how to stop File Explorer from the dreaded GROUPING?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save As - how to stop File Explorer from the dreaded GROUPING?: Hello folks,I have managed to set File Explorer to stop the horrible file and folder grouping, but for some reason, this does not apply to Save, Save As, Open versions of File Explorer. I have manually changed the grouping to NONE on many occasions, but it never sticks, and I...
  7. Save As - how to stop File Explorer from the dreaded GROUPING?

Save As - how to stop File Explorer from the dreaded GROUPING?: Hello folks,I have managed to set File Explorer to stop the horrible file and folder grouping, but for some reason, this does not apply to Save, Save As, Open versions of File Explorer. I have manually changed the grouping to NONE on many occasions, but it never sticks, and I...
  8. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  9. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  10. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder