Windows 10: How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive

Discus and support How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 - Ver 1809 We currently use onedrive at work and there is a folder option in File Explorer to open OneDrive, however, when I single click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 1234Kay, Feb 6, 2020.

1. 1234Kay Win User

How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive

Windows 10 - Ver 1809
    We currently use onedrive at work and there is a folder option in File Explorer to open OneDrive, however, when I single click it "OneDrive", all files for my OneDrive folder show in the original window but file explorer also opens a separate new window showing My Documents folder. Is there any to stop this from happening? I have checked through all of the File Explorer options and I can't figure how to fix it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Kay

:)

1234Kay, Feb 6, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 6, 2020
  3. How do I stop File Explorer from opening extra windows when clicking drive icon?

Hi

Can anybody point out a solution to fix this?

Issue: When I click any drive icon in File Explorer, a random number of File Explorer windows will be opened (usually 1 - 3 windows). It is so weird that it happens only when I click a drive icon, but not happen when I click a folder icon.

Here are my Windows version & File Explorer Settings:

• Windows Version = Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    • Folder Options > General > Browse folder = Open each folder in the same window
    • Folder Options > Click items as follows = Single-click, Underline icon titles only when I point at them
    • Folder Options > View > Advanced settings > Launch folder windows in a separate process = no

Steps to reproduce this issue:

1. Open File Explorer
    2. Click any disk drive icon once
    3. Extra File Explorer windows will be opened at random number (usually 1 - 3 windows)

Note 1: The solution provided in another topic doesn't work for me (
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/how-do-i-stop-file-explorer-opening-a-new-window/5e013792-5a6a-45de-ba5f-40bae0e86c1c
    )

Note 2: I tried changing all combinations of the Folder Options mentioned above (single/double-click, separate window, separate process) and yet I'm still facing the same issue.

Thank you How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive :)

SeaMonkeyDotNet, Feb 6, 2020
  4. How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive

1. How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive - Similar Threads - stop File Explorer

2. How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file: "This has been asked before but no answer and topic was closed.When selecting a file or folder from File Explorer the list automatically scrolls/jumps to bring clicked item into main viewing column.So for instance, I have 4 columns of files and double click a file in the 3rd...
  3. How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file: "This has been asked before but no answer and topic was closed.When selecting a file or folder from File Explorer the list automatically scrolls/jumps to bring clicked item into main viewing column.So for instance, I have 4 columns of files and double click a file in the 3rd...
  4. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  5. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  6. How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file: This has been asked before but no answer and topic was closed.When selecting a file or folder from File Explorer the list automatically scrolls/jumps to bring clicked item into main viewing column.So for instance, I have 4 columns of files and double click a file in the 3rd...
  7. How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file: This has been asked before but no answer and topic was closed.When selecting a file or folder from File Explorer the list automatically scrolls/jumps to bring clicked item into main viewing column.So for instance, I have 4 columns of files and double click a file in the 3rd...
  8. How to stop File Explorer from scrolling to clicked folder or file

9. Stop folders opening in new window in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop folders opening in new window in file explorer.: Today file explorer decide to open folders in new windows, how can I stop it. I've already tried using the option in the folder options "open in same window" which was already checked. Any ideas? submitted by /u/djdoubt03 [link] [comments]...
  10. File search from folders located on different drives

in Windows 10 Support
    File search from folders located on different drives: How to run single file name text string search with Windows File manager (explorer) from folders located on different drives? Search result may be 0-100 files. Any ideas? Perhaps it's possible to link folders somehow to look like one? 141827