Windows 10: How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month

Discus and support How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the recent update Windows file explorer is now grouping items by day, week and month. I do not want this. I want the old way back please. How do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Screentan#1, Jul 26, 2019.

1. How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month

After the recent update Windows file explorer is now grouping items by day, week and month. I do not want this. I want the old way back please. How do I get rid of this new sorting? I hope this is not going to be like what happened to media folders where they now display metadata columns instead of name, date, size, type and even if you change them the next time you open the folder it has reverted back to metadata columns.

Update: I worked out that Group By must be set to none. How do I make this default so it doesn't revert back? I'd also like to stop my media folders reverting back to the old way too so they show name, date, size, type instead of Artist, Album, Title etc

:)

Screentan#1, Jul 26, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Jul 26, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jul 26, 2019
  4. How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month

sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month

1. How to Stop File Explorer Sorting by Week and Month - Similar Threads - Stop File Explorer

2. How to Stop File Explorer in Windows 11 Sorting by Week and Month?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Stop File Explorer in Windows 11 Sorting by Week and Month?: I am arranging some photo archives and I need to put together photos that I modified on different dates, however, with windows 11 it is horribly wrong. I read in this forum what to do with windows 10 and some gave the same answer for windows 11 " just in groups select "none"....
  3. How to Stop File Explorer in Windows 11 Sorting by Week and Month?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Stop File Explorer in Windows 11 Sorting by Week and Month?: I am arranging some photo archives and I need to put together photos that I modified on different dates, however, with windows 11 it is horribly wrong. I read in this forum what to do with windows 10 and some gave the same answer for windows 11 " just in groups select "none"....
  4. How to Stop Save As dialog box sorting by Week and Month

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Stop Save As dialog box sorting by Week and Month: I have changed File Explorer to stop sorting by Week and Month having defaulted to that every major update but cannot find how to do the same for the Save As dialog box - I just want to have my alphabetical list as a standard alphabet not alphabetical within groups by date -...
  5. How to Stop Save As dialog box sorting by Week and Month

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Stop Save As dialog box sorting by Week and Month: I have changed File Explorer to stop sorting by Week and Month having defaulted to that every major update but cannot find how to do the same for the Save As dialog box - I just want to have my alphabetical list as a standard alphabet not alphabetical within groups by date -...
  6. Slow File Sorting in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow File Sorting in Explorer: I have a folder with about 3200 files, each file is about 60mb. I want it to sort by date/time. It is on an NVME drive, but the sort is taking 5+ minutes.....anything I can do to speed it up?...
  7. File Explorer Sort Issue

File Explorer Sort Issue: I have lost the option, when sorting items within explorer folders to list in in Ascending or Descending. Only recently -I would say this month. I store many thousands of Images (jpg mostly). Some projects I workflow against date created or name for examples. It was there...
  8. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  9. File Explorer Sorting Issue

File Explorer Sorting Issue: Up until recently, I had a folder which contained Folders and Files (all pictures) that were sorted by "Date-Ascending". Recently, a select number of these folders are reverting back to sorted by "Name", then it appears to do a index/refresh and then it corrects itself to...
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop explorer from sorting by date

2. stop file explorer sorting by date

3. file explorer now sorting files by period win 10