Windows 10: How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use

Discus and support How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I did a clean windows 10 install a month ago. I have SSD as primary drive and two additional HDD-s where I keep my pictures, videos, backups etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GaiusBaltar, Dec 30, 2019.

1. How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use

Hi.

I did a clean windows 10 install a month ago. I have SSD as primary drive and two additional HDD-s where I keep my pictures, videos, backups etc. I have set to turn off HDD-s after 10 minutes of idle but the HDD-s never stop spinning. If I set to turn off HDD-s ater 1 minute then YES the HDD-s will stop spinning after 1 minute but after 2 minutes they start to spin again! And in 1 minute they will turn off agan. On & Off - not good

I think that windows defender or something else is constantly checking viruses or errors on the HDD-s - that is so annoying. How can I stop that? How can I exclude my HDD-s from any automatic virus/error check?

On Windows 7 I did not have this issue

:)

GaiusBaltar, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Catizero Win User

HDD wont stop spinning

I have Windows 10 installed in the SSD, while I use the HDD as storage, there are just files there. I also set power to turn off HDD at 3 minutes if idle. The problem is that the HDD wont stop ever spinning.

In Windows 7 I had this same configuration and HDD stopped spinning properly at 3 minutes. I dont have any problem that is accessing the HDD, in fact i even have less programs now since I formatted a few days ago.

Indexing is also disabled in the HDD by default, its only enabled in the SSD.

Could you help me, please?

EDIT: I disabled the Windows Search service and also removed Cortana (SearchUI.exe) but the HDD wont stop spinning.

Catizero, Dec 30, 2019
  3. HDD spins and stops continously.... while display is off (Laptop is not on sleep or hibernate)

when my laptop display turns off (only screen timeout, not in sleep or hibernate mode). HDD spins and stops and then suddenly starts again... I can identify it with the help of the sound of the HDD
    (I'm not talking about the sound of writer in HDD, but the HDD actually spins and stops and then spins again and it is also not the process of reading/writing of HDD). I have
    updated my laptop from windows 10 v1803 to 1809 and then to 1903. I had reset the laptop 3 times. I have performed system recovery two times. I checked for corrupted files in windows system but there
    were no corruptions. I have performed a hardware test, every single test was passed (HDD passed all the test). Laptop is in warranty. service engineer came and told me that it's process of windows but I don't believe it because the sounds of HDD are like HDD
    is powering ON and then powered OFF. Laptop is fully functional and operational... I can use the Laptop well... but I have also seen some unexpected corruption of windows OS.
    (please don't give suggestions of updating my laptop to 1903 and to update all my drivers as I've already did that but the problem still persisted then)

what can be the root cause of problem?

what can I do to solve this?

Laptop Model : HP-15G dr0008tu

Shivam Khilar, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use

1. How to stop HDD-s spinning when not in use - Similar Threads - stop HDD spinning

2. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  3. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  4. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HDD spins really fast while using google chrome

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD spins really fast while using google chrome: after i run google chrome i hear a noisy sound from my HDD and i dont hear this noise on any other app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-spins-really-fast-while-using-google-chrome/b137f3a1-f8d5-4df3-acd4-0352bbbd1ee5
  6. HDD spins really fast while using google chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD spins really fast while using google chrome: after i run google chrome i hear a noisy sound from my HDD and i dont hear this noise on any other app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-spins-really-fast-while-using-google-chrome/b137f3a1-f8d5-4df3-acd4-0352bbbd1ee5
  7. HDD spins really fast while using google chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Why Win10 does not turn off my HDD-s when not in use?

Why Win10 does not turn off my HDD-s when not in use?: In Windows7, I did not have this problem! I have set "Turn off hard disk after 3 min" My Windows10 is on SSD drive, I keep my other files (videos, pictures, backups) on separate HDD-s (inside PC). One of the HDD-s is actually totally empty, I clean formatted it to see if...
  9. How do I stop background processes from spinning up a powered down HDD?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop background processes from spinning up a powered down HDD?: I have disks that I spin down when not in use. Normally these are backup drives that are used once weekly. Rather than wear the bearings out by spinning 24/7, I have the power config spin the drive down after 15 minutes. Then. sometime later, and without any sensible...
  10. HDD wont stop spinning

HDD wont stop spinning: I have Windows 10 installed in the SSD, while I use the HDD as storage, there are just files there. I also set power to turn off HDD at 3 minutes if idle. The problem is that the HDD wont stop ever spinning. In Windows 7 I had this same configuration and HDD stopped...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to know if hdd spinning

2. laptop spinning hdd not used