Windows 10: How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows?

Discus and support How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just played CSGO in a very important competitive match, but my team lost because windows dropped me to desktop midgame and asked me to update my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HansVader741, Sep 23, 2020.

1. How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows?

I just played CSGO in a very important competitive match, but my team lost because windows dropped me to desktop midgame and asked me to update my windows, and I died in game and we lost the decisive round.

I clicked on "Ask later" and now it already asked about 6 times and threw me to desktop every time, every hour or so.

Is there a way to stop this aggressive behaviour without having to update windows?

submitted by /u/HansVader741
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HansVader741, Sep 23, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

[Guide] Disabling Windows 10 Automatic updates and "spyware"

I think I'll be trying some of the steps here to take a little more aggressive stance. We've got a test box at the shop, and I think when I get some spare time, I'll load wireshark, and start digging. Interesting read, @Mussels .

What data Windows 10 sends to Microsoft and how to stop it – HackMag

Ahhzz, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows? [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Sep 23, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows?

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows?

1. How to stop microsoft from aggressively trying to update my windows? - Similar Threads - stop microsoft aggressively

2. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  3. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  4. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how to stop microsoft updates from damaging my computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop microsoft updates from damaging my computers: Microsoft updates are nothing but trouble . I do not need them . I do not want them . They do nothing for me . MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN MY COMPUTERS .I have automatic updates turned off EVEN ON MY WINDOWS 7 COMPUTER . TODAY I HAVE TO REFORMAT HARD DRIVE THANKS TO DAMAGE FROM...
  6. how to stop microsoft updates from damaging my computers

how to stop microsoft updates from damaging my computers: Microsoft updates are nothing but trouble . I do not need them . I do not want them . They do nothing for me . MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN MY COMPUTERS .I have automatic updates turned off EVEN ON MY WINDOWS 7 COMPUTER . TODAY I HAVE TO REFORMAT HARD DRIVE THANKS TO DAMAGE FROM...
  7. Windows 11 will not update HOW DO I STOP IT FROM TRYING?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not update HOW DO I STOP IT FROM TRYING?: I have multiple sites and emails for each site, a school account, and personal accounts. Windows 11 will not update on my laptop. I want to change the download location but cannot stop the process without going into the system settings. The pause isn;t working. I can't get my...
  8. Windows 11 will not update HOW DO I STOP IT FROM TRYING?

Windows 11 will not update HOW DO I STOP IT FROM TRYING?: I have multiple sites and emails for each site, a school account, and personal accounts. Windows 11 will not update on my laptop. I want to change the download location but cannot stop the process without going into the system settings. The pause isn;t working. I can't get my...
  9. How to stop Windows from trying to download updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Windows from trying to download updates: Hi I have new PC running W10 Home and I have installed and activated Office XP on it. Windows Update is trying to install updates for Office XP but they will not download and a "TRY AGAIN" link comes up up when I click on it Windows tries for a few seconds then the message...
  10. How do I stop my laptop from trying update Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I stop my laptop from trying update Windows 10?: My laptop, HP 620 running Windows 10 Pro, keeps trying to update then fails. Windows update assistant insists on downloading the latest version of Windows 10 (I'm currently at version 1511). Ever time it tries to update, it locks up at 81%. Then I have to manually restart and...