Windows 10: How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files?

Discus and support How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'd like to set my one drive to only store and save screenshots. Is it possible? - A bit off topic Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JanRerych, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JanRerych Win User

How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files?

I'd like to set my one drive to only store and save screenshots. Is it possible? - A bit off topic

Thanks

:)

JanRerych, Nov 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 13, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files? [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

https://mspoweruser.com/onedrive-placeholders-coming-back-now-called-demand-sync/

P4-630, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

OneDrive Sync Issue

Honestly, I don't understand why you haven't already tried to boot with WinPE or other live disk and manually remove the file? This example using Macrium WinPE boot disk, download Macrium Free and let it create a boot disk for you. Option to create one is shown automatically when you launch Macrium first time:

How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files? [​IMG]

1. Switch to C: drive
    2. Change the working folder to your OneDrive folder
    3. Check that the file has no Read Only (r) and System (s) attributes set. As the file name in your case is quite long, you don't have to type the full name. Use the *.* wildcard to replace any number of characters in file name and any extension, in your case command attrib .849C*.* should be enough
    4. If r and / or s attributes are shown for the file, remove them with command attrib .849C*.* -r -s
    5. Check that attributes r & s are removed
    6. Delete the file with del .849C*.*
    (Steps 3 & 5 not necessary; step 3 because removing attributes as in step 4 removes them if set but does no harm if not set, and step 5 because the attrib command works for 100% sure if no error messages are given.)

The file should be removed now. You can test with command dir .849C*.*, it should not be shown anymore.

Thema:

1. How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files? - Similar Threads - stop onedrive syncing

2. How to stop OneDrive from syncing and duplicating EA Game files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop OneDrive from syncing and duplicating EA Game files.: Hello,I am recently having issues with EA about one of their games. However, they have noticed that I use OneDrive. I do need it on, but not with a game that I am playing. Currently, that folder where the game is located in Documents has a red X because OneDrive did flag it.I...
  3. How to stop OneDrive from syncing and duplicating EA Game files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop OneDrive from syncing and duplicating EA Game files.: Hello,I am recently having issues with EA about one of their games. However, they have noticed that I use OneDrive. I do need it on, but not with a game that I am playing. Currently, that folder where the game is located in Documents has a red X because OneDrive did flag it.I...
  4. How to stop onedrive from syncing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop onedrive from syncing: Hi,I accidentally enabled onedrive and it starting syncing 300+GB of photos to the cloud. I do not want this and I do not need this since I have another backup process in place. It also starting syncing documents which I do not want in the cloud due to security reasons.When...
  5. How to stop onedrive from syncing

How to stop onedrive from syncing: Hi,I accidentally enabled onedrive and it starting syncing 300+GB of photos to the cloud. I do not want this and I do not need this since I have another backup process in place. It also starting syncing documents which I do not want in the cloud due to security reasons.When...
  6. How to stop OneDrive from syncing my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop OneDrive from syncing my desktop?: I have a personal computer I use for video games and a Laptop for school but sometimes shortcuts on my personal computer show on the laptop and vice versa. It is not only is just annoying in general I feel awkward having games openly shown when at school. I tried deleting the...
  7. How to stop OneDrive from syncing my desktop?

How to stop OneDrive from syncing my desktop?: I have a personal computer I use for video games and a Laptop for school but sometimes shortcuts on my personal computer show on the laptop and vice versa. It is not only is just annoying in general I feel awkward having games openly shown when at school. I tried deleting the...
  8. How to Stop Syncing onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Stop Syncing onedrive: Hello,I would like to know how to stop all onedrive syncing.It will not allow me to uncheck "Documents", "Downloads", "Pictures"I am tired of having to go into one drive to delete things just to have onedrive put them all back.I dont want sync!! I like placing files in...
  9. Stop Onedrive from syncing!!

Stop Onedrive from syncing!!: I hate OneDrive so much. It's hyperactive and wasting my time over and over again. I've been trying to deselect most of my folders so that they don't automatically sync. Should be simple enough but this thing is designed so poorly. Firstly you can't access the Settings...
  10. Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive

Stop a file from syncing in OneDrive: I have a program that requires local files to be stored in the MyDocuments folder of Windows 10. That folder happens to be located in OneDrive and I don't want that folder to sync. When it does try to sync it can't merge changes with the existing folder and it creates a copy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stopping onedrive synchronising unwanted files

2. cant stop ondrive syning

3. How to stop onedrive from syncing unwanted files?

4. stop onedrive syncing everything,
  5. how to stop syncing a problem file in one drive