Windows 10: How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

Discus and support How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Dear valuable independent advisors, could you hlep me with this. How to stop shortcuts self-update / automatically update when user renames the target... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Martin525, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Martin525 Win User

How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

Dear valuable independent advisors, could you hlep me with this. How to stop shortcuts self-update / automatically update when user renames the target file?

:)

Martin525, Sep 27, 2022
  2. JGm4skis Win User

Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

Am I dreaming? (Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657) After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I
    clicked it and the appropriate file opened.

I had never before noticed such update of shortcut in Windows, so I assume that this remarkable feature is a result of a Win 10 update.

JGm4skis, Sep 27, 2022
  3. Gem43skis Win User
    Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

Am I dreaming? (Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657) After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I clicked it and the appropriate file opened. *Smile
    I had never before noticed such update of shortcut in Windows, so I assume that this remarkable feature is a result of a Win 10 update.

Gem43skis, Sep 27, 2022
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

1. How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file - Similar Threads - stop shortcuts self

2. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  3. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  4. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Dear valuable independent advisors, could you hlep me with this. How to stop shortcuts self-update / automatically update when user renames the target file?...
  6. How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Dear valuable independent advisors, could you hlep me with this. How to stop shortcuts self-update / automatically update when user renames the target file?...
  7. How to remove shortcuts and files for a user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove shortcuts and files for a user: My brother is usinh my computer, but all my shortcuts in desktop appear to him, and when i move them to the trashcan, they disappear from my desktop too. How can i remove the shortcuts (and maybe the programs itself) for only one user? submitted by /u/Narguis [link]...
  8. Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Am I dreaming? (Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657) After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I clicked it and the...
  9. Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcuts self-update when user renames the target file: Am I dreaming? Windows 10 version as 1909, Build 18363.657 After I renamed a file, I checked a shortcut in a different folder, and I was surprised to see that the shortcut's target filename had already been updated. To further verify the shortcut, I clicked it and the...
  10. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut: Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut? Longer version of my question: I originally set...