Windows 10: How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely

Discus and support How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I use 3d animation software the requires many different combinations of hotkeys. I want to be able to use the Windows key on the keyboard as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KenAckerman1, Sep 16, 2021.

1. How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely

Hi, I use 3d animation software the requires many different combinations of hotkeys. I want to be able to use the Windows key on the keyboard as a modifier key in programs like Autodesk Maya and Blender. I can do so, however whenever I release the key the Start menu pops up and throws off my whole flow. I've found many, many posts about how to disable the Windows Key completely. That is not useful to me. I simply want to change it's behavior so that it doesn't trigger the Start menu. Is this possible?

:)

KenAckerman1, Sep 16, 2021

2. disable the start menu search

Hi Darrell,

If you really don’t use Windows Search much, you can disable indexing completely by turning off the Windows Search service. However, disabling the open file menu is not possible in Windows 10.

To disable the Windows Search, kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start and search for Services.
    • Select Services from the list of results.
    • On the right side of the Services window, find the
      Windows Search
      entry and click it twice.
    • In the Startup type drop-down menu, select the
      Disabled
      option. This will prevent Windows Search from loading the next time you start your computer.
    • Click the Stop button to go ahead and stop the Windows Search service now. When the service has stopped, click on
      Apply button.
    • Click on OK button, and then restart your computer.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Sep 16, 2021
  3. drpearl Win User
    Start menu stopped working in Windows 10

The Start Menu on my copy of Windows 10 stopped working for no apparent reason. I have tried the suggested four steps above. The first three ran. The final one failed to run due to an error. The process did not fix the start menu. My Windows 10 computer
    is disabled and unusable. I need a solution ASAP.

drpearl, Sep 16, 2021
  4. How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely

Start menu,Wifi key, Search key not working

Hello Nikhil,

The issues with accessing the Start menu/ Windows key might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files after installing the latest update on your computer.

Provide us with additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error code/ error message with this issue?

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested from the Microsoft helps article like: Check for updates, Restart the computer, run the troubleshooter, create test user account and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the Start menu, Search bar for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely

1. How to stop the Windows key from pulling up the Start menu, without disabling it completely - Similar Threads - stop key pulling

2. How to stop the start menu being covered up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop the start menu being covered up?: For a few years the start menu on Windows 10 has sometimes been covered up like this, so I can't visually navigate the search or start menu:Is there some way to prevent this?...
  3. Start menu pulling up at log on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu pulling up at log on.: So I found an issue while logging in on Windows. When I log in to Windows to where I left off at, it pulls up the start menu. I don't know why this is happening. How do I fix this issue? Thanks in advance!...
  4. Start menu pulling up at log on.

Start menu pulling up at log on.: So I found an issue while logging in on Windows. When I log in to Windows to where I left off at, it pulls up the start menu. I don't know why this is happening. How do I fix this issue? Thanks in advance!...
  5. Start menu pulling up at log on.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. How to disable opening Start menu with Alt key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable opening Start menu with Alt key?: Using tablet pc, windows 11after recent update, Alt key opens Start menu. Its really annoying. How can I disable this function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-opening-start-menu-with-alt-key/d8c89eea-1126-453c-bddd-5e32ebd5bfda
  7. How to disable opening Start menu with Alt key?

How to disable opening Start menu with Alt key?: Using tablet pc, windows 11after recent update, Alt key opens Start menu. Its really annoying. How can I disable this function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-opening-start-menu-with-alt-key/d8c89eea-1126-453c-bddd-5e32ebd5bfda
  8. How to disable windows shortcut keys without disabling windows key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable windows shortcut keys without disabling windows key?: I don't like any (windowskey+anykey) keyboard shortcuts and I like to use my own ones for some apps. Whenever I missclick Winkey without adding additional key WindowsMenu toggles which irritates me....
  9. how to disable the Menu key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to disable the Menu key: Could you show us how to disable the Menu key (the one next to the Windows key)? Thank you! 91535
  10. Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?: I'm using an old laptop as a Kodi Media Center and I have it set to automatically login and boot kodi on startup and wake from sleep, so what I'm wanting to do is add all shortcuts I need to the desktop and completely disable the start menu. Not sure if this is possible, but...