Windows 10: How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

Discus and support How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ohante, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ohante Win User

How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of running a weeks long task.

Checking the event log I see:
    Date: 9/25/2020 8:53:43 AM
    Windows successfully installed the following update: 9NMPJ99VJBWV-Microsoft.YourPhone

Before that:
    Date: 9/25/2020 5:58:53 PMThe operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎09‎-‎26T00:58:52.500000000Z.
    Date: 9/25/2020 6:05:14 PMThe previous system shutdown at 5:32:56 PM on ‎9/‎25/‎2020 was unexpected.

And that's about all that's in there referring to the system rebooting. Here's what I've tried tweaking so far in trying to prevent this:

1. Navigate to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> UpdateOchestrator
    Disable automatic reboots by right-clicking on Reboot and selecting disable.

2. Start gpedit.msc: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    Enable: "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations"

3. Regedit: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Check that the DWORD value called AUOptions is set to either 2 or 3
    Check that the DWORD value called NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers is set to 1

Checking right now I see there's a DWORD value called NoAutoUpdate that's currently is set to 0. I'll have to research that one. I haven't rebooted the system yet though after my newest tweak I describe below. Maybe someone can tell me if that should be set to 1

4. In Windows 10 main settings > Update and Security > Windows Update
    Set: Pause updates for 7 days.

I did configure one new setting I discovered after virtually punching out Microsoft to let off some steam:

Start gpedit.msc: Expand Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update
    Double click Configure Automatic Updates and enable the policy
    Configure Automatic Updating: 2 Notify for download and auto install

I have the system crunching data again, so I've yet to see if that'll make any difference.

References:
    How to disable scheduled reboot after Windows Update
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...e?forum=ws2016
    how to stop windows 10 from rebooting automatically for updates
    how to stop windows 10 from rebooting automatically for updates | thinkoholic.com
    Prevent Windows Update from Automatically Restarting Your PC [MiniTool News]https://www.minitool.com/news/prevent-windows-update-from-automatically-restarting-your-pc.html

I'm eager to hear anyone's feedback & suggestions on all this. Thanks folks. *Smile

:)

ohante, Sep 26, 2020
  2. ahmd Win User

Stop automatic reboots w/updates + auto-install Defender definitions

Hello:

My goal is to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting whenever it wants to. It happened twice already that I got my computer in the morning in a refreshly rebooted state. I didn't lose any data, but it then takes me several minutes to reload all the apps etc. In other words it's a big pain-in-the-a$% so my goal is to revert updates to how they used to work in Windows 7, i.e. "I own the computer and I decide when to reboot!"

So I ran gpedit.msc as an admin and then went to
    Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Admin Templates -> .... (can't remember the full path) ... eventually to Configure automatic updates and set it to "Auto download and notify for install." I then also enabled the local GPO to "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates" Here's the full setup:

How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!! [​IMG]

And here's that specific setting:

After that these GPOs seem to have held off automatic reboots, but now I got one less pesky but still annoying thing. Every day this thing dings me with a popup:

which then brings me to this:

So I was wondering, is there a way to automate installation of those definitions for Windows Defender so that I don't have to do it manually every day?

PS. I tried setting the following as a daily task in the Task Scheduler, and although it used to work in Windows 8.1, in Windows 10 it doesn't seem to do anything and I still get those dings:

Code:

3. Stop auto update in windows 10 pro

hello sir

Please sand a step list of how to stop auto update in my window 10 pro

my windows full details is;

Edition : windows 10 pro

version: 1703

os Build : 15063.674

LovelykHUSHi, Sep 26, 2020
  4. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

Driver Update/install

I would reboot after step one. That way there will be looking for the drivers when you start back up.. cancel that, and run your Auto Setup and you should be fine *Toast :toast:

Cold Storm, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

1. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!! - Similar Threads - stop updates auto

2. How to stop 'windows update preview' from auto install on Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop 'windows update preview' from auto install on Win11: Win11 auto install 'windows update preview'. How Can I stop it? There is no setting to unenroll from windows insider program in 'setting'. I do not want to pause or stop auto install of critical updates. The only thing that I found is this...
  3. System auto reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System auto reboot: Hi,I have previous encountered multiple system reboots when the laptop is idle for sometimes. Checking the system log there is no obvious error messages I can locate. The only thing I found relevent is as below.- The previous system shutdown at 8:50:59 pm on ‎17/‎11/‎2021 was...
  4. System auto reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System auto reboot: Hi,I have previous encountered multiple system reboots when the laptop is idle for sometimes. Checking the system log there is no obvious error messages I can locate. The only thing I found relevent is as below.- The previous system shutdown at 8:50:59 pm on ‎17/‎11/‎2021 was...
  5. System auto reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!: I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of running a weeks long task. Checking the event log I see: Date: 9/25/2020 8:53:43 AM Windows successfully installed the...
  7. Stop Windows 10 Auto Reboots After updates install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop Windows 10 Auto Reboots After updates install: How do I stop a new Dell PC with Windows 10, v2004 from auto rebooting after updates install. I need this PC on at all time due to a process running on it. I want to control when this PC reboot...not at night killing the process. I have tried everything....disabled...
  8. System auto reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    System auto reboot: Hello Friends, I;m running Win 10 Pro 64bit. Yesterday around 22:15 (GMT+8) I remember hibernating my laptop. Then around 23:30 I saw my screen (while walking past) and saw my lock screen. I was bit puzzled because i thought I hit the hibernate button. Then I managed to dig...
  9. A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.

A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.: Windows rebooted my PC again the other day, without warning, while I was using it. This is the 3rd time it has done this since "upgrading" to Windows 10. I've tried every possible work-around I can find, but MS keeps "fixing" them so they don't work. I don't have Windows Pro,...
  10. How to stop a scheduled update from installing after reboot?

How to stop a scheduled update from installing after reboot?: After installing an update yesterday and rebooting, my laptop is now stuck at the startup blue page with rotating circledots. Every once in a while the screen flickers as if it is installing a graphics driver, BUT it doesn't make sense to flicker 100+++ times. I've tried...