Windows 10: How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

Discus and support How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have just joined this forum. Am an XP user but have been asked by a friend to help set up e-mail on a Win 10 laptop running MS Outlook. Mostly it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by CMOORE100, Sep 29, 2017.

1. CMOORE100 Win User

How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

I have just joined this forum. Am an XP user but have been asked by a friend to help set up e-mail on a Win 10 laptop running MS Outlook.
    Mostly it works fine but sometimes encodes attachments as Winmail.dat files which recipients can not open or use.
    This problem is widely reported on internet.
    I have tried every solution I have read, without success. These include ensuring that Outlook sends messages as HTML or Plain Text (NOT as Rich Text) and applying a change to the registry to inhibit poduction of Winmail.dat files. Yet still the problem persists.
    Sending to another Outlook address is OK. Sending to a GMail address works but sending to a BTInternet address never works in that all attachments (doc / docx / jpg etc.) get sent as Winmail.dat which I can not open. Moreover I use MS Outlook Express to access my e-mail accounts and this program fails even to recognise Winmail.dat!
    It seems as if certain ISPs interact with Outlook and cause it to send Winmail.dat attachments.

Is anyone aware please of a hard and fast solution which guarantees that OUTLOOK will NEVER generate Winmail.dat attachments?

:)

CMOORE100, Sep 29, 2017

2. Send page by email not working in IE11

Win 10 using IE11 - until yesterday I could open a file in IE11 and choose file then send then "page by email" and it would put it in the body of my outlook email....now it only attaches it. I don't want as attachment I want it in the body of the email.
    How can I stop this from happening?

Faerie Dust, Sep 29, 2017
  3. Microsoft Lumia 930

Hi Stephen-Ward,

Thanks for posting your concern.

The Winmail.dat file is used to preserve Rich Text formatting. Outlook uses it when sending a Rich Text-formatted message. During transport, the content of the message may be changed, preventing the receiving client from being able to read the formatting
    instructions. In other cases, the receiving client does not use or recognize the winmail.dat file.

For the resolution, please click this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/kb/278061.

Sincerely,

Rommel Diw, Sep 29, 2017
  4. How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

Hi CMOORE100.

Welcome to the TenForums @CMOORE100

Did you clear the auto complete cache after making the changes?

File => Options => Mail => Sending Messages Section => Empty Auto Complete List (These are steps for 2013, your may be slightly different).

Once clear try resending with Plain Text.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 30, 2017
  5. CMOORE100 Win User
    Ken,
    Many thanks for your very rapid and helpful reply. I am provisionally of the view that yur solution has solved my problem. However I would like to evaluate it a bit more and ensure that there are no bugs (none so far). I will then post a full reply describing all which I have done to overcome what seems to be a well known problem with WIN 10 / Outlook which MS appear to be aware of but have failed to address either by knowledge paper or, preferably, software update.
    Will post further in2 or 3 days, but am optimistic thanks to your input Ken.
    Very many thaks.

CMOORE100, Oct 1, 2017
  6. Great. The cache was remembering the old settings for contacts. By deleting, the new settings come into play. Glad the forum could help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 1, 2017
  7. CMOORE100 Win User
    WIN 10 (64 bit) with OUTLOOK 2016 send E-Mails which some recipients are unable to open or read.

The problem most commonly encountered, to judge from many internet pleas for help, is that normal e-mail messages are sent and received satisfactorily but attachments – whatever their file extensions – are sometimes apparently not sent or not openable. There are also reports that some e-mail main texts are apparently not sent or not openable. This note is based specifically on WIN 10(64) plus OUTLOOK 2016, but my extensive reading for a solution has revealed that other WIN / OUTLOOK issue combinations also give rise to the same or similar problem. It may therefore well be possible that the following actions will also be of assistance with these.
    The root problem is that OUTLOOK sometimes encodes messages and/or attachments as WINMAIL.dat files and sends these. Many non-MS mail programs can not recognise and/or open these. WINMAIL.dat is a format used in times past for sending Rich Text Format (RTF) messages. I am uncertain why MS persists with this heritage I have found in limited testing that some ISPs seem to receive OUTLOOK attachments OK (because these are sent as their original files with “normal” extensions) whereas another ISP appears to prompt their conversion to WINMAIL.dat and then can not open them. I have, by the way, eliminated any possibility that the problem stems from my receiving computer. My accounts are of the “web based” type and I can open my E-mail boxes by web access direct to the ISP.
    My testing (not comprehensive) has shown that when OUTLOOK is used to send attachments to a Gmail.com account they are received OK but when the exact same attachments are sent to a BTInternet.com they are received as WINMAIL.dat encoded files. It is thus doubly unsatisfactory in that one can not rely on the receipt of attachments sometimes, but not always.
    Here are the 3 steps I took :- 1.. Modify the registry to inhibit generation of Winmail.dat files. To do this a.. Open program REGEDIT (Windows key plus R) b.. Go to Computer/ HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Preferences c.. Create a new DWORD(32bit) called Disable TNEF
    d.. Enter a value of 1 ie.0x00000001 (1) e.. Exit Regedit 2.. Set up OUTLOOK so as NOT to send messages in RTF format. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens.
    c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES f.. Find CHANGE EDITING SETTINGS g.. Select PLAIN TEXT format option in box. (HTML option may also be OK but RICH TEXT FORMAT – RTF – must NOT be selected). h.. Close the MAIL options page(s).
    3.. Set up OUTLOOK not to auto-complete addressees and empty the auto complete cache. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens. c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES
    f.. Select SEND MESSAGES section. g. UNCHECK box labelled “Use auto complete list to suggest names when typing To/cc/bcc lines”. h.. Find and SLCk the “Empty auto complete list” i.. SLCk YES in response to “ARE YOU SURE” pop-up box j.. There is no apparent response to step i. k.. Close OUTLOOK mail option page(s). l.. For good measure re-start the PC.

Notes : i.. At step 3e with OUTLOOK 2013 scroll to SENDING MESSAGES section. ii.. In OUTLOOK 2003 and 2007 for procedure section 2 : iia.. Access OPTIONS from the tools menu iib.. Click MAIL FORMAT tab iic.. Click INTERNET FORMAT iid. Under Outlook Rich Text Options click either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format. Get rid of any reference to RTF.
    iii. This note is written based on Win 10(64bit) plus Outlook 2016. Other OS/Outlook versions may vary in function and detail.
    iv.. Some versions of OUTLOOK provide for the message sending format to be varied between addressees in the address book. To check for this each address book entry needs to be examined from its PROPERTIES values. These should be opened and set to HTML or PLAIN TEXT and never RTF (or TNEF). v.. With my problem the solution was achieved after step 3. It appears that the auto-complete cache “remembers” previous settings and hence it needs to be deleted.
    vi.. Step 3 was the vital action and was kindly contributed by Caledon Ken at TEN FORUMS I will mark the thread as resolved after further evaluation, but am highly optimistic. .

CMOORE100, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

1. How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat - Similar Threads - stop Outlook sending

2. pdf attachment on an email in outlook changes to .dat format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pdf attachment on an email in outlook changes to .dat format: I use Outlook on my Windows 10 laptop. In the past week, I have had 3 situations in which an email downloaded with a pdf attachment. After it downloaded and I had opened the attachment, the attachment format changed to .dat & now the attachments are useless. I have gotten...
  3. Difficulty Sending Outlook Emails with Attachments

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Difficulty Sending Outlook Emails with Attachments: When I last tried to send Outlook messages with attachments, they would just stick in the Outbox so I have just had to resort to using Gmail for them. How do I overcome this problem please as I prefer Outlook? My OS is Windows 10 Version 1903. David 154100
  4. Difficulty Sending Outlook Emails with Attachments

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty Sending Outlook Emails with Attachments: When I last tried to send Outlook messages with attachments, they would just stick in the Outbox so I have just had to resort to using Gmail for them. How do I overcome this problem please as I prefer Outlook? My OS is Windows 10 Version 1903. David 154100
  5. Winmail on Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Winmail on Win 10: Running Winmail on Win 10. When reading some mail or deleting some I get a message saying "An error has occured can't perform opening or perform deleting". Would appreciate any help....
  6. Outlook 2016 Not Sending Attachments After Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2016 Not Sending Attachments After Update: Since the Fall Update, I can no longer send emails with attachments on Outlook 2016. I understand that the size limit for attachments is 20 mb but my emails with attachments only total 7 mb so this does not seem to be an issue. Prior to the update, I could send emails with...
  7. Outlook 2019 sporadischer winmail-10.dat Anhang

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook 2019 sporadischer winmail-10.dat Anhang: Folgendes Problem besteht bei einem unserer Kunden an einem ihrer Rechner (Win10 und Outlook2019). Manche Mails mit einem PDF Anhang aus Lexware kommen bei manchen Kunden unseres Kunden als winmail-10.dat an. Dieses Problem ist neu und erst mit Outlook 2019 aufgetreten....
  8. Attachments not sending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attachments not sending: Hi there Why is it that sometimes my attachments don't send to the recipients even when I've double checked that they're there before hitting send? How can I prevent this from hapenning? Kit...
  9. Pictures will not attach to Outlook 2010 with a right click send to

in Browsers and Email
    Pictures will not attach to Outlook 2010 with a right click send to: I used to be able to go to my picture folder and right click a picture and choose SEND TO by email. Now a window pops up with a picture sizing option, and when I go thru that, it appears to be doing something, but Outlook does not open. How do I resolve this issue? 100712
  10. Outlook (Win 10 build in) stopped sending and reciving - 0x80072efd

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook (Win 10 build in) stopped sending and reciving - 0x80072efd: I cant crack this, my Windows 10 mail (outlook) worked fine yesterday, but today its not sending and reciving my mail. I tried to check my mail account (Hotmail and Gmail) in my browser and its working as it should there. After a while i had this error popup, (see...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook keep on resending old emails winmail